Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   fort irwin? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/fort-irwin-130032.html)

Dougzin 12-28-2011 11:20 PM

fort irwin?

In the process of moving to Irwin. Was wondering if there is any trails or anything. Does anyone have any info about the area?

2DEUCE2 12-29-2011 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougzin (Post 1867940)
In the process of moving to Irwin. Was wondering if there is any trails or anything. Does anyone have any info about the area?

Wow, that's out there man. You will be in the California High Dessert, that's for sure! Other than the fact that you can pretty much drive your Jeep on the copius amounts of BLM land out in that area, the closest trails would probably be in Calico, about 25 miles SW of Fort Irwin. Calico has a lot of cool trails rated from easy to insane. You will definitely want to go with others your first time out there. We have a WF Meet and Greet scheduled to Calico in March if you are out here by then and want to join us you are more than welcome.

You might want to check in with the folks in the Nevada section too. Being so close to Las Vegas, they might know of some great places to go NE of Ft. Irwin that wouldn't be too bad of a drive, but most of the trails us SoCalers go on won't be too bad of a drive for you either.

Dougzin 12-29-2011 12:58 AM

If you could send me a pm about the meet and greet I will definitely be there. I'm actually new to off road I get my license in a few days. I've had my permit for a while and drove alot on road but not off. So going with other people would definitely be a requirement for me. I'm up here now for Christmas break. I'm going home tomorrow but we were coming home from Barstow and I saw a road right down from yermo cutoff and it was a calico trail. ( had the map on the sign) I'm very interested in getting to know some people to go wheeling with! Its a tj with 2 inch lift runnin 31s. Just lookin to get it dirty ;)

2DEUCE2 12-30-2011 06:58 AM

Cool man, hope to see you out there. I sent you a PM with the link to the M&G thread.

thetoadLJ 01-03-2012 11:09 AM

ouch sorry to hear that. two of my best friends just left last november so im glad i dont have to drive there to see them anymore! lol anyway there is the mojave trail out there near afton canyon. theres also some small trails i know of. right off ft irwin rd is rainbow basin. we did a lot of shooting and trail driving back there. there is also calico which has a good trail which i cant remember its name.

Sojos912 01-03-2012 11:20 AM

Yo. Heading back to Irwin this summer. Hopefully my last assignment until I retire from active Duty. I'm for sure down to get my jeep onto tons of awkward situations as well. Send a pm and when I get out there I'll show you some areas.

91badass 01-03-2012 11:32 AM

15 north towards vegas, afton canyon is awsome, also is the begining of the mojave trail.

I H8RDS 01-03-2012 06:27 PM

We just did Calico for 4 days...there's a chance we'll be back out there on the weekend of the 13th of Jan. If that's where we decide to wheel, I'll post up. We do all the trails there..Doran, Odessa, always check out the Bismark mines, Wall Canyon is pretty cool..there's a ton of trails...can target shoot out there too.

Susiee 01-11-2012 10:35 PM

goodluck in fort irwin
and thank you for your service

LBrito 01-13-2012 01:43 PM

I see guys riding the tank trails out there, that's probably a good start!

Sojos912 01-14-2012 01:27 AM

@ Susiee. Thanks. I love it out there. The stuff I've been learning to do to mod out my jeep is making it easy to do a lot of off reading things.

Susiee 01-14-2012 01:33 AM

thats good to hear i heard it sucked there though

your going off roading soon?

Sojos912 01-18-2012 12:24 PM

Not till end of summer when we move back out there. Currently in hawaii, but will be taking some long trail rides when we get there.

Susiee 01-22-2012 03:26 AM

ohh that sounds like fun

hows the weather there right now?