Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Mopar side step installation (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/mopar-side-step-installation-13008.html)

sgarelick 11-07-2007 06:41 PM

Mopar side step installation

OK, I can't figure this out. I bought a pair of Mopar side steps for my 2004 Wrangler. It can with bolts that are shaped like this (one threaded end is longer than the other):

|
|
| |
|________________ |

I see the 2 holes that the bolt is supposed to go into but can't figure out how to thread it through the holes. You somehow have to put one end in first and then fish it around so that the other end comes out the other whole. I wish I could describe this better but those of you who have installed them must know what I'm talking about.

Any thoughts on how to do this. The installation instructions make it look simple but don't say if you stick the short end in first or the long end.

--Steve

sgarelick 11-07-2007 06:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures (as long as I posted them correctly)

Attachment 2799

Attachment 2800

sgarelick 11-07-2007 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 2801

here's a scan of the instructions.

4point 11-07-2007 07:12 PM

It looks like you should stick the short side through first.

sgarelick 11-07-2007 07:16 PM

tried that and played around for a while to get the long side to come out the other whole but I just can't get it. There must be something I'm doing wrong.

4point 11-07-2007 07:22 PM

Put a washer and a nut on the long side so you don't drop the bolt into the frame,insert the short side of the bolt into the first frame hole and push it over and out the other frame hole. Mind you I've never installed these so I'm guessing from your illustration.

TeeJay 11-07-2007 07:47 PM

put the short side in the long slit on the lower rear section. Finagle the thread through the hole in the front. grab the short thread and use it to fish the long end through the rear hole and place the small threaded washers on so as not to drop the silly little piece.

sgarelick 11-07-2007 08:00 PM

Not sure I understand TeeJay. There are 2 hole on top and 2 slits below them (see picture above). The bolts do not fit into the bottom slits. They do fit into the 2 holes, but no matter how I try, I can't seem to fish the other end around and through the holes.

Sorry if I'm slow on this, I'm just not getting it.

TeeJay 11-07-2007 08:25 PM

start by passing it through the slit turned kind of sideways. it wont fit in both at once

...l...l....

Start side ways in the second 'l' and fish the other end through the first '0'
then grab that end and use it to pull the remaining portion the rest of the way through that second 'l' you started in and up until it can be finagled through the second '0'

put on the rest of the stuff.

sgarelick 11-07-2007 09:02 PM

WOW, those were really hard to fish through. After playing for more than an hour, I finally was able to get all the bolts in.

Thanks for all your help.

--Steve

TeeJay 11-07-2007 09:04 PM

let's see the new shin guards!