Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Fallen Jeeper (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/fallen-jeeper-130091.html)

jasonduke5 12-29-2011 10:05 AM

Fallen Jeeper

Heard this story on the new this morning. Coroner: 2 Found In Stuck Jeep Died Of Carbon Monoxide - Pennsylvania News Story - WGAL The Susquehanna Valley
My heart goes out to the family of the fallen. If the link doesnt work here is the story. We all need to be careful out wheeling and do our best to wheel in pairs.

Coroner: 2 Found In Stuck Jeep Died Of Carbon Monoxide
SHAMOKIN, Pa. -- Carbon monoxide poisoning killed a man and woman whose bodies were found in a vehicle that got stuck in a creek.

Police in Northumberland County said they were called to the scene in Coal Township shortly before 4:30 p.m. Tuesday. They found the two in a Jeep that was partially submerged in water in a wooded area off Mountain Creek Road.

Coroner James Kelley identified the victims Wednesday as David Dascani, 38, and Kelley Gusick, 24, both of the Shamokin area. He ruled their deaths accidental.

Kelley said the Jeep's exhaust system apparently became submerged in the creek as Dascani struggled to drive out of the creek, and carbon monoxide gas then filled the vehicle because the windows were rolled up.

SullyRock71 12-29-2011 10:10 AM

That sucks.... Thoughts and prayers to the family....

Badass_TJ 12-29-2011 10:48 AM

Rip

TJWenatchee 12-29-2011 12:00 PM

Quite the Bummer. If for some reason you can't wheel in pairs at least let someone know where you are going and an Approximate time that you will return. It's good to at least have a friend start the search if you don't come back on time or are extremely late. In life it's to bad we learn lessons from other people mistakes. We should all try harder that any of us or someone we know or talk too doesn't repeat that mistake. :nonono:

jasonduke5 12-29-2011 12:36 PM

I agreewith TJWenatchee all the way. Its why i posted this. I would have never thought that this would even be possible.

erickpl 12-29-2011 12:58 PM

If you get stuck, always ensure your tailpape can vent or roll down the window, regardless of temp. When crossing deeper water or mud and I have doors on, windows are opened.

Other than that, don't wheel alone.

Always hate to see people perish when stranded. It just hurts worse when simple common sense is ignored when it could have been followed, avoiding the whole situation.

sevenservices 12-29-2011 01:18 PM

I've always worried about this because of leaks in the soft tops. But yeah, if your not moving and you need it running to stay warm, always crack a window. Especially in colder climates where we are more likely to let 'em sit and run for 20-30 minutes while doing something else just because you don't want to have to warm it up again!

JeepandMud 12-29-2011 01:23 PM

My thoughts and prayers also go out to the families of both.
And I agree with others, I know when I go out with my fiancee with my jeep we always let his mom know (since she's the closest to the mountains) where we're going, the exact trail, the time to get there and when we should be heading back, and even a copy of the trail map.

1jeeplvr 12-30-2011 03:34 PM

I went wheeling a few months ago.Me & the wife were going to take the trail to get to the road(mayby) a mile or so off the trail.The other guys (4 other Jeeps) followed us to the road even though they were going to continue wheeling.They refused to let us go alone & break up the pack.They followed us to the road then turned around to continue.I guess this is a good rule to follow.

somis 12-30-2011 03:52 PM

This is a total bummer. I get a taste of carbon monoxide almost every time I go wheeling. I always make it a point to hop out every 30 minutes or so just to get fresh air. I start to feel a little funny in the head if I don't. I make it a point to bring the essential survival kit, lighter water peanuts and an emergency blanket I would recommend this to anyone and everyone. Rip brother

jasonduke5 01-01-2012 05:08 PM

We all learn by our mistakes but this is the worst price ever.

Jerry Bransford 01-01-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somis (Post 1872908)
I get a taste of carbon monoxide almost every time I go wheeling.

What is wrong with your exhaust system? What's keeping you from fixing whatever is causing that problem?

somis 01-01-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
What is wrong with your exhaust system? What's keeping you from fixing whatever is causing that problem?

I think it drafts back in through small holes where the zipper on my soft top has messed up. I'm almost positive that's what it is and I've been meaning to re-route my exhaust out the side. I've learned to live with it considering t

LR-Defender 01-01-2012 10:07 PM

Rip