Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Bestop Underseat Lockbox Installed (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/bestop-underseat-lockbox-installed-130094.html)

MTH 12-29-2011 10:14 AM

Bestop Underseat Lockbox Installed

5 Attachment(s)
Folks,

Installed my Bestop underseat lockbox yesterday. I got it from Jason at Krawl Off-Road, who was great to deal with and shipped it out very promptly.

Overall. Solid product. It's all steel and the door closes in such a way as to leave nothing to wrap fingers around to pull on. It feels very stout and I see no practical way somebody who breaks into the Jeep is going to get into it without time and tools. Candidly, I have no idea how I'd even try to break into if I lost the keys--absent a locksmith, it'd take removing it, hammering a pry bar into the door seam, and a lot of effort.

The roller hinges slide open very smoothly and stop firmly without going too far. The box doesn't rattle or anything while I'm driving. Color matches my black/dark grey interior perfectly. Easily worth the $50 price tag.

Install. Ridiculously simple. Unscrew stock bolts holding down front of seat, slide box in, reinstall bolts, admire handiwork. Takes about 10 minutes. The only thing to be aware of is the bolts are VERY tight from the factory. I used an 18" breaker bar, which made it reasonably easy with some firm pulling. However, I'd expect a smaller tool like an 8" wrech or something similar would be very, very difficult. I understand the 2011s and forward have some more they need to do under their seats with wiring and a bracket or some such thing, but for my 2010, it was easy.

Complaints. My only "complaint" would be that it's narrower than I'd hoped. I tried to take some pics with my hand in the shot to give a sense of perspective. That said, the box completely fills the space available--I can't even slide a finger in on either side of the box. So the lack of width isn't Bestop's fault.

Very happy. :thumb:

rockjock1 12-29-2011 10:20 AM

This may seem like an odd ?-
As a gun owner and carrier-could I get the height and width of the internal floor? Also-does it protrude much from under the front of the seat? If someone looked in through a closed window-would they see the lock or the front of the box under the seat?
TIA!

kbwwolf 12-29-2011 10:24 AM

Looks good. :thumb:

In fact, in that first picture it looks just like the Tuffy I've got in mine (I know it's not, though, cuz the interior part of the lock mechanism looks different.)

Good place to store the cannon before going into the gc to buy some milk. :D

Know what you mean about the seat bolts. Torque specs call for 45 ft-lbs...mine had to be around 100.

rockjock1 12-29-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf
Looks good. :thumb:

In fact, in that first picture it looks just like the Tuffy I've got in mine (I know it's not, though, cuz the interior part of the lock mechanism looks different.)

Good place to store the cannon before going into the gc to buy some milk. :D

Know what you mean about the seat bolts. Torque specs call for 45 ft-lbs...mine had to be around 100.

You do know in WI-you can get your ccw pretty easy now-and storing a loaded gun in your car is a felony....;)

MTH 12-29-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockjock1 (Post 1868800)
As a gun owner and carrier-could I get the height and width of the internal floor?

I'll take a tape measure to it this weekend, but it's only going to be able to hold a smaller pistol. I'm dubious that my CZ-75 would fit. Probably will, but it'll be close.

Quote:

Also-does it protrude much from under the front of the seat?

No. The "puffy" area of the seat that sits behind your knees protrudes farther.

Quote:

If someone looked in through a closed window-would they see the lock or the front of the box under the seat?

No. You have to open the door and get your head down near the door hinges before you see it. The last picture is the closest to the type of angle you'd have looking in the window. You can imagine that if you closed it, you'd never see it.

kbwwolf 12-29-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockjock1 (Post 1868823)
You do know in WI-you can get your ccw pretty easy now-and storing a loaded gun in your car is a felony....;)

Very aware. :thumb:

jk wrangler fan 12-29-2011 10:39 AM

I like mine but the noise issue is annoying. BTW I would never store a firearm in it.

bluesman88 12-29-2011 10:40 AM

Looks great! I might have to add this to my wish list ;)

kbwwolf 12-29-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk wrangler fan (Post 1868839)
I like mine but the noise issue is annoying. BTW I would never store a firearm in it.

What noise? Is yours a Bestop or a Tuffy (only ones I know of...)?

MTH 12-29-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

I like mine but the noise issue is annoying.

Mine is silent so far. :confused:

Quote:

BTW I would never store a firearm in it.

Why?

Vince1 12-29-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Yeah, the Bestop one is cheaply made. You can go in and tighten the latch mechanism, then put adhesive weatherstrip around the outside where the drawer face contacts the box and this will take care of the rattle noise you hear over bumps or on trails. The Tuffy doesn't have this issue and is noise free. I have both in our two JKs and much prefer the Tuffy. I store a 6" S&W .357 revolver in it no problem.

MTH 12-29-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince1 (Post 1868856)
Yeah, the Bestop one is cheaply made. You can go in and tighten the latch mechanism, then put adhesive weatherstrip around the outside where the drawer face contacts the box and this will take care of the rattle noise you hear over bumps or on trails. The Tuffy doesn't have this issue and is noise free. I have both in our two JKs and much prefer the Tuffy. I store a 6" S&W .357 revolver in it no problem.

To be fair, the Tuffy is more than twice the cost of the Bestop, so it better do something better. I haven't noticed any rattle yet . . . I'll have to listen more closely.

Vince1 12-29-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1868865)
To be fair, the Tuffy is more than twice the cost of the Bestop, so it better do something better. I haven't noticed any rattle yet . . . I'll have to listen more closely.

True. The Bestop does the job. All I'm saying is that if you have the budget, then spring for the Tuffy as you do indeed get better construction (heavier duty hinges, more interior space, stronger lock, no rattles, and does't slide open at a stop when unlocked). Just my $0.02 from experience with both.

MTH 12-29-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince1 (Post 1868880)
True. The Bestop does the job. All I'm saying is that if you have the budget, then spring for the Tuffy as you do indeed get better construction (heavier duty hinges, more interior space, stronger lock, no rattles, and does't slide open at a stop when unlocked). Just my $0.02 from experience with both.

Agreed. Based on the reviews I've read, if I had no limits on the discretionary income to spend on my Jeep, I would've gone with the Tuffy.

I choose the Bestop based on the idea--which I think is correct--that I'll get 90% of the Tuffy's performance for 40% of the cost. As with so many things, it's that last 10% or so of performance that adds the most to the cost.

the rock99 12-29-2011 11:20 AM

I have a S&W 500 with 8 3/8" barrel and it easily fits in the Tuffy box.

MTH 12-29-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the rock99 (Post 1868972)

Good to know. I should mention I haven't actually tried to put a pistol in my Bestop, so perhaps my concern that my CZ-75 won't fit is unwarranted.

Vince1 would know best as he has both, but it appears from the pictures I've seen online that the two have essentially the same dimensions. I would think it very likely that if a particular pistol fits in the Tuffy, it will fit in the Bestop and vice-a-versa.

tomthbomb 12-29-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the rock99 (Post 1868972)

:eek::eek::eek:
Guess I won't have to worry about my 1911's!

Roadhawg 12-29-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

This may seem like an odd ?-
As a gun owner and carrier-could I get the height and width of the internal floor? Also-does it protrude much from under the front of the seat? If someone looked in through a closed window-would they see the lock or the front of the box under the seat?
TIA!

My Glock 23 in it's holster fits nicely :whistling:

rockjock1 12-29-2011 11:47 AM

That's what I was hoping-my carries are all kimbers-most short barrel. Thanks guys!

jcf 12-29-2011 11:51 AM

Looks good, may have to invest in one myself

Rmeeks 12-29-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhawg (Post 1869037)
My Glock 23 in it's holster fits nicely :whistling:

Good to know.... I just ordered the box and was hoping my Kimber would fit.... :angel:

tomthbomb 12-29-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockjock1 (Post 1869044)
That's what I was hoping-my carries are all kimbers-most short barrel. Thanks guys!

Like this?

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/...ultracarry.jpg

rockjock1 12-29-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomthbomb
Like this?

CR grips and all ;) cept mine has a black slide. Love that thing. Wife hates it-can't rack it :lol:

Up Hill Bill 12-29-2011 02:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Main difference I've found between Bestop, which I have, and Tuffy, which I wish I had, is how far the drawer opens for access.

Here are photos of a Bestop and a Tuffy. Both fully open. Both with S&W 686 .375s (K-frame) with 6" bbls.

Note; how much more accessible the revolver is in the Tuffy:

Bestop:
Attachment 86229

Tuffy:
Attachment 86230

the rock99 12-29-2011 02:18 PM

I don't know about the Bestop but on the Tuffy whether or not you can see it from outside depends on how long your legs are (longer legs = seat slid back further), you can see the pull tab on mine.

MTH 12-29-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the rock99 (Post 1869469)
I don't know about the Bestop but on the Tuffy whether or not you can see it from outside depends on how long your legs are (longer legs = seat slid back further), you can see the pull tab on mine.

Good point. You can't see mine from the outside of the Jeep--I'm a touch over 5'9".

KSCRUDE 12-29-2011 02:46 PM

My pistols lay right behind the console, loaded and ready to go! In a locked box they are useless in a real life and death situation. My 12 gauge defender sits on the floor in the cargo liner right behind the front seats. Loaded and round in the chamber, 18 inch barrel so I can reach back and have it in seconds. Taures judge in my pickup loaded with triple ought buck and special disc and buckshot mix. Every other one style. 12 gauge is double ought buck, then slug in alternating fashion. All my guns are always loaded as it always the unloaded gun that accidentally shoots someone. There is very little crime where I live, very seldom lock my vehicles. All our pickups set at work and we never lock them, and keys are always in the ignition.

rockjock1 12-29-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSCRUDE
My pistols lay right behind the console, loaded and ready to go! In a locked box they are useless in a real life and death situation. My 12 gauge defender sits on the floor in the cargo liner right behind the front seats. Loaded and round in the chamber, 18 inch barrel so I can reach back and have it in seconds. Taures judge in my pickup loaded with triple ought buck and special disc and buckshot mix. Every other one style. 12 gauge is double ought buck, then slug in alternating fashion. All my guns are always loaded as it always the unloaded gun that accidentally shoots someone. There is very little crime where I live, very seldom lock my vehicles. All our pickups set at work and we never lock them, and keys are always in the ignition.

While that's fine and dandy-it's also, IMHO, irresponsible as a gun owner. I carry everywhere I can (legally). And when times arise that I can't (recruiter station, county jail, grandmas house)-I need to lock my gun away securely. I have several options that I currently use and trust-and have tested myself. One of the first things is-don't draw attention to people walking by that there is something of value to be had in the first place. Leaving a grout in plain view-just a bad decision (again-IMHO). And certain states-even with a ccw-that's a felony charge if you're stopped/inspected.

jk wrangler fan 12-29-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 1868849)
What noise? Is yours a Bestop or a Tuffy (only ones I know of...)?

Bestop. Every little bump it makes a metal to metal contact noise. I put electric tape around the latch and put felt pads at each corner of contacts per recommendation of a few members on here. The pads eventually fell off so I need to put some more back on. Great item but yes, the noise when going over bumps is annoying.

jk wrangler fan 12-29-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1868850)
Mine is silent so far. :confused:

Why?

They may decide to take the whole car.