Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   3:21 vs 3:73 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/3-21-vs-3-73-a-130354.html)

4x4Viking 12-30-2011 07:18 PM

3:21 vs 3:73
 
I have located 2 Arctic vehicles one with 3:21 the other with 3:73. My big question is does the 3:73 make a big difference for a daily driver? I know it's an off-road thing, but is the acceleration that much better than the 3:21 that you feel the difference? I'm not planning on any wild off road ventures any time soon. Thanks for your help

kbwwolf 12-30-2011 07:23 PM

Are you planning to tow anything, or someday buy larger tires and a lift?

If not, you'll be fine with the 3.21.

However, if you even THINK you'll ever go for some of the above, spend the extra (what...$50?) to get the 3.73's. Once you buy the Jeep, if you decide at any time that you need lower gears, it'll run you around $1500 to get em. Even with a small lift and moderately sized tires, the 3.21 will suffer in high gear on hills and passing on the freeway.

JMO. :D

Templar 12-30-2011 07:23 PM

I've only had the 3.73 but I love it. It gives me the option to put larger tires on and I'm averaging high 19's mpg.

As you mentioned though it depends on what style of driving you will be doing with your Jeep.

Based on my "limited" experience I'd say go with the 3.73's and don't look back.

KSCRUDE 12-30-2011 07:34 PM

The only 12 jesus jeep I have driven was a 3.21. Total dog on the highway and downshifted all the time hunting for a gear. Get the 3.73 or walk. The Jesus motor has no low end power so it needs all the help it can get. Just another mini van motor dumped on the wrangler as jeep is CHEAP. And a sick 5 speed Auto. Should of been in the 07 JK and a six speed ought to be behind the lords engine. Jeep is slower then the second coming, at making improvements. Time they do it's already outdated technology!

ealive 12-30-2011 07:37 PM

Get the 3.73 and don't look back.

kbwwolf 12-30-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSCRUDE (Post 1873505)
The only 12 jesus jeep I have driven was a 3.21. Total dog on the highway and downshifted all the time hunting for a gear. Get the 3.73 or walk. The Jesus motor has no low end power so it needs all the help it can get. Just another mini van motor dumped on the wrangler as jeep is CHEAP. And a sick 5 speed Auto. Should of been in the 07 JK and a six speed ought to be behind the lords engine. Jeep is slower then the second coming, at making improvements. Time they do it's already outdated technology!

Not sure what you're trying to say. Clarify? :D

Charcoal2010 12-30-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 1873515)
Not sure what you're trying to say. Clarify? :D

Ditto, was that even english? :D

holyjeepers 12-30-2011 07:52 PM

So are you guys saying NOT to get a 3.21 5-speed automatic? I was looking as well at an Arctic and the one I saw is only a 3.21. Seemed "ok" on the highway, but far from powerful. Would the 3.73 be more solid?

Templar 12-30-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holyjeepers (Post 1873573)
So are you guys saying NOT to get a 3.21 5-speed automatic? I was looking as well at an Arctic and the one I saw is only a 3.21. Seemed "ok" on the highway, but far from powerful. Would the 3.73 be more solid?


Yep, get the 3.73. You'll be glad you did! :thumb:

MTH 12-30-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holyjeepers
So are you guys saying NOT to get a 3.21 5-speed automatic? I was looking as well at an Arctic and the one I saw is only a 3.21. Seemed "ok" on the highway, but far from powerful. Would the 3.73 be more solid?

Yes. 3.73. Do that.

panthermark 12-30-2011 07:57 PM

I've test driven both.....back to back.
Took my 3rd test drive in a Saraha JKU with 3.21's about 2 hours ago.....
kbwwolf had it correct.....

I've talked to three different sales people about it...they said the same thing as well. Basically, unless you plan on towing, going with bigger wheels/heavy armor, or live in the hills/mountains, the 3.21's will do for most people.

If you want more pep, get the 3.73's....no big deal. You can't go wrong.

The MPG will be about the same up until about 50 or so mph.

holyjeepers 12-30-2011 07:58 PM

Considering I'm not much a a Jeep or car expert for that matter, would you mind explaining to me what the 3.73 versus the 3.21 gives me? In what way would I notice the differences, especially during daily driving?

FWIW, I live in Florida and we get some unreal rain storms in the summer. I have been in Land Rover's for years and have always felt safe while driving and want to make sure I feel the same in the Jeep. Thanks for the help.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Templar (Post 1873583)
Yep, get the 3.73. You'll be glad you did! :thumb:


MTH 12-30-2011 08:00 PM

Higher RPMs at a given speed = more horsepower. Selecting 3.21s is like choosing to have 15 or so fewer horses. This gets debated over and over, and it never makes any more sense. For $50?? Get the 3.73.

kbwwolf 12-30-2011 08:02 PM

Just to clarify...

If I were the one buying the Jeep, I'd go 3.73's, regardless of present or future intent. :D

holyjeepers 12-30-2011 08:05 PM

Does the MPG get better or worse over 50 mph with the 3.73 versus the 3.21?



Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 1873586)
I've test driven both.....back to back.
Took my 3rd test drive in a Saraha JKU with 3.21's about 2 hours ago.....
kbwwolf had it correct.....

I've talked to three different sales people about it...they said the same thing as well. Basically, unless you plan on towing, going with bigger wheels/heavy armor, or live in the hills/mountains, the 3.21's will do for most people.

If you want more pep, get the 3.73's....no big deal. You can't go wrong.

The MPG will be about the same up until about 50 or so mph.


panthermark 12-30-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holyjeepers (Post 1873595)
Considering I'm not much a a Jeep or car expert for that matter, would you mind explaining to me what the 3.73 versus the 3.21 gives me? In what way would I notice the differences, especially during daily driving?

FWIW, I live in Florida and we get some unreal rain storms in the summer. I have been in Land Rover's for years and have always felt safe while driving and want to make sure I feel the same in the Jeep. Thanks for the help.

The gearing won't have any impact on how it handles in the rain. Both will be fine.

At the same given speed, 3.73's run at a higher RPM than 3.21's...just as 4.10's run at higher RPM's than 3.73's.

Since you are running a bit higher in the RPM band, you tend to have "more power" on tap, but at the expense of some fuel economy. OR if you are towing or running bigger wheels, you need to offset that extra power needed by running at a higher RPM.
Now, the JKU's are heavy beasts with big wheels...so you have to find the best mix of power vs economy. Prior to 2012, the old tranny and engine had a really bad match for gearing....so 3.73's with the 42RLE and 3.8 engine basically had the RPM's run too low....as if the engine was always lugging. So the best fix was to change the rear axle ratio to get the engine to run in a higher RPM range.

To be safe, you should go with the 3.73's. It will be a slight hit at MPG at higher speeds, but it leaves you more options down the line.

kbwwolf 12-30-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holyjeepers (Post 1873614)
Does the MPG get better or worse over 50 mph with the 3.73 versus the 3.21?

Worse, but man...it's like the difference in calories burned when you type and when you text, IMO. :D

MTH 12-30-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holyjeepers
Does the MPG get better or worse over 50 mph with the 3.73 versus the 3.21?

My response would be that the 3.21s will get slightly better mpgs, but a Ford Explorer will get better than either one. And a Prius beats'em all. You don't go to KFC for salads. If you care about such slight differences in mpgs at the margins, you're looking at the wrong vehicle. Get the 3.73s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf
Just to clarify...

If I were the one buying the Jeep, I'd go 3.73's, regardless of present or future intent. :D

^^This.

KSCRUDE 12-30-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 1873515)
Not sure what you're trying to say. Clarify? :D

For some of you EINSTEINS that can't understand English. I said, GET THE 3.73 or walk! Go find one with a 3.73 or buy a underpowered pos with the wrong gears and spend 2 to 3 thousand later to correct the problem that jeep and some greedy stupid salesman threw on your lap.

holyjeepers 12-30-2011 08:16 PM

Coming from a Range Rover which gets about 12 feet to the gallon, I don't care about the MPH, but I want to get one that has enough raw power, especially IF I want to tow something down the road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1873631)
My response would be that the 3.21s will get slightly better mpgs, but a Ford Explorer will get better than either one. And a Prius beats'em all. You don't go to KFC for salads. If you care about such slight differences in mpgs at the margins, you're looking at the wrong vehicle. Get the 3.73s.



^^This.


kbwwolf 12-30-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holyjeepers (Post 1873662)
Coming from a Range Rover which gets about 12 feet to the gallon, I don't care about the MPH, but I want to get one that has enough raw power, especially IF I want to tow something down the road.

Then get the 3.73. Sheesh.

kbwwolf 12-30-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSCRUDE (Post 1873641)
For some of you EINSTEINS that can't understand English. I said, GET THE 3.73 or walk! Go find one with a 3.73 or buy a underpowered pos with the wrong gears and spend 2 to 3 thousand later to correct the problem that jeep and some greedy stupid salesman threw on your lap.

Still not following you. But I can be a little slow, sometimes...:D

4x4Viking 12-30-2011 08:30 PM

Thanks for all your inputs, I already had my mind set on the 3:73. It's just the Jeep with that ratio was missing some other options I wanted. Can I post the window stickers on here? Got 3 different Arctics from the dealer.

holyjeepers 12-30-2011 08:30 PM

kbwwolf... what did I answer? I'm o.k. with the MPG issue, what I don't understand is the 3.21 vs the 3.73 power issue. But for towing, will I really notice the difference between the 3.21 and the 3.73 during daily driving? Will the 3.21 underperform a 3.73 for DD?

holyjeepers 12-30-2011 08:32 PM

Yes, please post the stickers. I would love to see what you're looking at and what options are offered.

For me, I found "almost" the one I want but it comes with 3.21 (which I didn't realize was an issue until I read this thread), and it doesn't come with Remote Start which seems very cool, especially on hot days.

kbwwolf 12-30-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4Viking (Post 1873698)
Thanks for all your inputs, I already had my mind set on the 3:73. It's just the Jeep with that ratio was missing some other options I wanted. Can I post the window stickers on here? Got 3 different Arctics from the dealer.

Why not have em build you one...or can't they do that with the Arctic?

kbwwolf 12-30-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holyjeepers (Post 1873700)
kbwwolf... what did I answer? I'm o.k. with the MPG issue, what I don't understand is the 3.21 vs the 3.73 power issue. But for towing, will I really notice the difference between the 3.21 and the 3.73 during daily driving? Will the 3.21 underperform a 3.73 for DD?

Sorry holyjeeper...got you confused with the op. You got a buncha posts running loose at the moment.

You'll notice a difference in power between the 3.73 and the 3.21, mostly on the freeway. Hardly at all around town. IMO, Jeep shouldn't even offer the 3.21 gears. Your mileage will be MINIMALLY less with the 3.73's, and if you ever do decide to tow something you'll be glad to have them.

There are a lot of people on this forum (and others) who thought they'd be fine with the higher gearing, and then realized later on that it was inadequate for their needs. That's a $1500 mistake.

You can pick at it all you want...most of the folks in this thread have said, straight up, get the 3.73's.

But it's your Jeep. If you think you'll be better served with 3.21's, by all means...

ranjr 12-30-2011 08:40 PM

Just drive one with 3.21 and then one with 3.73 and decide for yourself. Everyone on this site pushes for the lowest possible ratio available. I'm surprised nobody has tried to talk you into a Rubi yet just for the 4.10 ratio.

Only you can decide what meets your needs. But to me it sounds like the 3.21 will be fine.

panthermark 12-30-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holyjeepers (Post 1873700)
kbwwolf... what did I answer? I'm o.k. with the MPG issue, what I don't understand is the 3.21 vs the 3.73 power issue. But for towing, will I really notice the difference between the 3.21 and the 3.73 during daily driving? Will the 3.21 underperform a 3.73 for DD?

I tried to explain earlier....it impacts how many RPM's you turn at an given speed.

Example:
At 65 mph in 5th gear and on stock wheels:
3.21's will turn 1815 rpm's
3.73's will turn 2109 rpm's

Now, the engine makes more power at 2100 rpm's than 1800 rpms, but it also uses a touch more fuel. You have to balance that with trying to find the "sweet spot" of the engine.


From what you have stated, you will want the 3.73's....it will have more pep, and will tow heavier loads easier.

4x4Viking 12-30-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holyjeepers (Post 1873704)
Yes, please post the stickers. I would love to see what you're looking at and what options are offered.

For me, I found "almost" the one I want but it comes with 3.21 (which I didn't realize was an issue until I read this thread), and it doesn't come with Remote Start which seems very cool, especially on hot days.

I have the remore start on my current Jeep, it's a useless thing. You still have to turn the car off before you can go and sometimes I start the car by mistake and you have to go back and stick the key in the ignition and turn it on/off.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.