Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   My Jeep locked me out today (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/my-jeep-locked-me-out-today-131063.html)

mnhogrider 01-03-2012 08:34 PM

My Jeep locked me out today

I started up my 2012 JK today to warm it up. Went back out to it after 10 min. and the doors were all locked! Key in ignition and running. Had to go about 40 miles to get the spare key to unlock it. It was good and warmed up by then.

It's concerning that this happened. I tried to duplicate the event by pushing the lock button on the fob while the key is in the ignition with the engine running and it would not lock. I also tried to push the lock button on the drivers side door while it was open thinking that I did it accidently while getting out. Nope. The doors wouldn't lock.

Put it in gear and when I get up to about 5 MPH the doors auto lock like they're supposed to. They also lock fine using the key fob button. The only settings I changed involving the auto locks was I changed the option so all the doos lock and unlock when the key fob button is pushed once.

So, I don't know what's up, but it's concerning. We warm my cars up lots up here and I can't have it locking me out when it feels like it.

I stopped at the hardware store and had a key cut just so I can open the door with it and keep it in my wallet in case it happens again. It sets off the alarm when I use it, but I don't care. It gets me in.

I guess I could turn off the auto lock feature, but I don't know if that would cure the problem.

Anybody have the same thing happen or hear of any glitches with the auto lock system?

Ballandchain 01-03-2012 08:38 PM

I had a friend who locked himself out of a softtop Jeep and actually called a locksmith. Boy, I joked him for years.......

New2012JEEP 01-03-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballandchain (Post 1885166)
I had a friend who locked himself out of a softtop Jeep and actually called a locksmith. Boy, I joked him for years.......

LOL, Wow!

mnhogrider 01-03-2012 08:41 PM

Mine's a hard top so ya can't get me on that one!

jay-1 01-03-2012 08:43 PM

get a non-chiped key made at your local hardware store hide it some where. Ex. in engine copartment under jeep ect.

OH9JK 01-03-2012 09:28 PM

Any of your neighbors drive a Chrysler product?

madelko 01-03-2012 09:59 PM

Same here!

My 2007 has done that a time or two - Dealer is clueless (understatement).
Had a non-chipped key made but haven't needed it yet.

Tropicsgirl 01-03-2012 11:06 PM

I had that happen a few times when I had my sonata. And I would use the spare key to try to open the door and it would lock back before I could open the handle. It would take a number of efforts before it knocked it off and I could get in the car. i figured it was a glitch with the remote starter and it being too cold outside. I did have visions of Christine when it would happen...

bengen1 01-03-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnhogrider (Post 1885146)
I started up my 2012 JK today to warm it up. Went back out to it after 10 min. and the doors were all locked! Key in ignition and running. Had to go about 40 miles to get the spare key to unlock it. It was good and warmed up by then.

It's concerning that this happened. I tried to duplicate the event by pushing the lock button on the fob while the key is in the ignition with the engine running and it would not lock. I also tried to push the lock button on the drivers side door while it was open thinking that I did it accidently while getting out. Nope. The doors wouldn't lock.

Put it in gear and when I get up to about 5 MPH the doors auto lock like they're supposed to. They also lock fine using the key fob button. The only settings I changed involving the auto locks was I changed the option so all the doos lock and unlock when the key fob button is pushed once.

So, I don't know what's up, but it's concerning. We warm my cars up lots up here and I can't have it locking me out when it feels like it.

I stopped at the hardware store and had a key cut just so I can open the door with it and keep it in my wallet in case it happens again. It sets off the alarm when I use it, but I don't care. It gets me in.

I guess I could turn off the auto lock feature, but I don't know if that would cure the problem.

Anybody have the same thing happen or hear of any glitches with the auto lock system?

have you checked your fuses(engine dep.) ? mine had the J13 fuse barely sitting in the cradle and was having issues with my locks not unlocking or locking until I found that fuse and fully seated it.. its the one marked ignition off draw below:

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/y...andRelayID.jpg

BillyPete 01-04-2012 12:33 AM

Right there is a good reason to have remote start if you warm up your outside parked vehicle, and the key stays in your possession until you put it in to drive away:thumb:
Never heard of your scenario before.

JEEPDON 01-04-2012 06:31 AM

I have had my '10 Sahara do it to me once-- now I either A. Always pull key out and put in pocket. Or B. Have spare key handy.
Don
Experience= that is what you get right after you need it the most!

i2canoe 01-04-2012 07:00 AM

Todays vehicles warm up very quickly if you start them and drive them, they don't need to idle for long periods of time to warm. Wasteful of fuel and terrible for air quality.
Temperature here is -20C degrees and I get warmth starting after a kilometre of driving.

mnhogrider 01-04-2012 07:40 AM

Remote start is nice. I have it on my other car, but couldn't get it in the Jeep with the manual transmission.

I'll check the main fuse panel for loose fuses (good tip) and my office manager does have a Chrysler van. I'll try her key fob button.

nutcat 01-04-2012 07:50 AM

Same here. I have to leave my door open when warming up.

mikekeeper 01-04-2012 07:41 PM

And a good way to come out and find it was stolen. I'd sometimes have to respond to a call of a stolen vehicle when the driver had it running to warm up. It was hard to keep from asking them why they left an invitation for a thief.

Silverton34 01-04-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikekeeper (Post 1888506)
And a good way to come out and find it was stolen. I'd sometimes have to respond to a call of a stolen vehicle when the driver had it running to warm up. It was hard to keep from asking them why they left an invitation for a thief.

Car theft? In Iowa? Crap! I suppose I will have to start taking my keys out of the car at night now.

wtbonnell 07-02-2012 03:56 PM

I just had the same thing happen to me with my new 2012 Wrangler Unlimited (J/K). I was towing a trailer and got out to remove the trailer from the hitch while it was still running (I had all doors closed). When I moved the bumper slightly to disengage the trailer, I heard the jeep lock on me (mind you, it was still running so the keys were in the ignition, all doors locked and no windows open). Luckily this happened while I was at home so I had a spare to bail me out but this could have been a real issue somewhere else. Any ideas why this would automatically lock on me?

Dew 07-02-2012 06:41 PM

my paranoia is justified after reading this thread

I always leave my window 1/4 open when stepping outside my jeep with the engine running. Just in case.

Spro12JK 07-02-2012 07:32 PM

If for any reason I leave mine running without being in it I either keep a window down, keep the door popped open, or make sure I have an extra key with me to get back in. I locked myself out of my truck one time and that will be the last. Been quite a few years now and haven't made that mistake again.

dgallois 02-20-2013 01:34 PM

Hi There,

Thank you for this thread. I am about to go see my dealer also. I have a 2013 JKUS with 3000km on it. I have the personal setting selected to open all (4) doors with one press. Last night I pressed it and only my door opened. This morning, I press the key fob. Heard it open, Opened the door, put my foot in the truck (on the clutch), popped it in netural and started it. I shut the door and went to open the rear door to get the ice scraper. LOCKED!!!... ALL THE DOORS WERE LOCKED and the engine running, hand brake on, house key in the car, no one else at home... WTF!!

Long story short I used a cell phone to call my GF who happened to have the second key so I had to get her to come over and bail me out.

I LOVE the idea of cutting a blank (no chip) key and hiding it under the hood. THANK YOU for the suggestion, and the advice to check the loose fuse.

:facepalm:

Billybaldin 02-20-2013 02:22 PM

My wifes car does this. If she unlocks it while gathering her stuff and it takes her too long to get to her car the doors relock after like a minute. Try it again but just walk away from it while its running. See if they lock after a few minutes on their own.

COStrider 02-20-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay-1
get a non-chiped key made at your local hardware store hide it some where. Ex. in engine copartment under jeep ect.

Yup

Also, you don't need to warm up the new gas vehicles AT ALL. I'm from MN originally and even my newer diesel didn't need to be plugged in when I was visiting (below zero temps, although I would idle it because its diesel). It's just a waste of gas on regular engines. Just keep the RPM's low and go easy on it till it warms up. You'll be surprised at how fast it warms up too. Just my .02

COStrider 02-20-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i2canoe
Todays vehicles warm up very quickly if you start them and drive them, they don't need to idle for long periods of time to warm. Wasteful of fuel and terrible for air quality.
Temperature here is -20C degrees and I get warmth starting after a kilometre of driving.

Oops. Missed this before I posted.

So... X2^^

WXman 02-20-2013 03:04 PM

I don't know about your state but here in my state it is illegal to leave a vehicle running and unattended. So I don't let mine sit outside warming up unless I really really need to.

Problem is that I disagree that these things warm up fast. I had a 2011 with the 3.8L and now a 2012 with the 3.6L and BOTH of them were cold as hell on days when the temp. falls below 20F outside. And it takes forever to get the cabin to warm up...like 10 miles or more before I get warm at all. The heaters S U C K on these Wranglers compared to other 4x4s I've owned.

DallasJKU 02-20-2013 03:11 PM

I bought mine without Power package and it will never happen to me. That was never a reason for me, but I'm glad I won't get into that issue.

Vette man 02-20-2013 03:15 PM

I thought if you remote started your vehicle and didn't put the key in the ignition and the timer on the remote start ends, it locks itself when it shuts down.

KittyPrawn 02-20-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COStrider (Post 3395905)
Yup

Also, you don't need to warm up the new gas vehicles AT ALL. I'm from MN originally and even my newer diesel didn't need to be plugged in when I was visiting (below zero temps, although I would idle it because its diesel). It's just a waste of gas on regular engines. Just keep the RPM's low and go easy on it till it warms up. You'll be surprised at how fast it warms up too. Just my .02

Sometimes it's about warming up the inside, not the engine! :thumb:

JKWrangler2012 02-20-2013 04:38 PM

Been there.. Realized either my knee or finger hit the lock button (or manual lock button) on my way out the door..

Another Guy In A Jeep 02-20-2013 04:41 PM

My neighbors remote to open their garage sets off my doorbell, mayhap something similar?

michiganadam 02-20-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i2canoe (Post 1886543)

Ummmmm it was so cold the other day i got frostbite just putting a gym bag in the back seat. I normally dont idle a car to warm it up but do you want my fingers frozen to the wheel? I idled it for 5 minutes by the way...