Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Anyone have buyer's remorse? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/anyone-have-buyers-remorse-131123.html)

FTNuke 01-04-2012 01:39 AM

Anyone have buyer's remorse?

Hi everyone. I'm not new to the forum, but I've been away for a long time. I just traded in my 2005 X for a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon and I think I may be having serious regrets. I have never loved a vehicle the way I loved my old Jeep and I feel like I just shot my own dog. Has anyone else felt this way? I've never regretted getting rid of an old vehicle before, but I've never put as much work into one as I did that one. I'm not that upset about the price (but for a Jeep I think the current prices are ridiculous), but I do feel like I just got rid of a real Jeep and instead bought a poseur toy (body colored hard-top, air conditioning, sat nav, etc). However, my wife absolutely hated my old Jeep, it was filthy, had no options, extremely rough ride due to the lift, safari top, and rarely had doors on it. She approves of this one (especially since she can drive it since it is automatic). My 2 and half year old son LOVED my old Jeep, however, and would even just sit in it and pretend to drive whenever I let him. He seems to like the new one enough, and it is a much better vehicle for him to be in, but I think the big dirty one was probably cooler in his mind.
Anyway, I was just looking to see if anyone else had similar feelings when they traded one. The other option I had considered would have been to just get a stock sport and keep my old TJ, it would have worked out almost exactly the same price-wise.

Old Jeep Specs:
Silver 2005 Wrangler X
Six Speed, no A/C
4" Pro Comp Lift
Brand New 33" BFG KM2 Mud Terrains
Centerforce II Clutch
Slip-Yoke Eliminator
Bushwacker Fender Flares
Shrockworks Rock Rails
Tuffy Security Glove Box
Lots of other little cool things

New Jeep:
Cosmos Blue 2012 Wranlger Unlimited Rubicon, black fenders and body matched hard top w/ the Connectivity or Sirius or whatever you call it.
Oh yeah, its an automatic too.

I'm sure I'll come to like the new one too, but as there is really nothing left to do to it (new bumpers maybe, I dunno) it won't really feel the same. I'm also far less likely to drill holes in it when I want to bolt something to it or in any other way treat it like a Jeep.

Supercop260 01-04-2012 01:48 AM

I felt that same way when I traded my Dodge Ram in for a Chevy Impala. Didn't want to do it, but a 75 mile commute with a Hemi will make a person do crazy things.

On the other hand, you traded a Jeep for a Jeep so you didn't lose capability. You just have to give it character like you did with your last one. Give it time dude.

Barefootin 01-04-2012 02:00 AM

Its all good brother. I miss my 72 J2000 still....

BillyPete 01-04-2012 02:14 AM

Not to worry, you will be saying the same thing when you trade off the 2012 in 2020 :D

kbwwolf 01-04-2012 02:27 AM

Nope.

sknyfats 01-04-2012 02:30 AM

I think if/when you start modding the new Jeep, you may change your tune. Then again, you said you have a 2 1/2 year old too? So it sounds like more than "just the Jeep" that is going on here...if I were you - I'd tweak the new one a little here & there, but keep it clean & neat - so the wife is happy, its more comfortable, reliable, etc.

And then...make your new past time browsing the Craigslist ads. And save a few bucks. And pick up another, older, well worn Jeep that's the right price & that you can trick out & beat the crap out of.

Most people who have hot rods don't make them their daily drivers; likewise, most people don't make their daily drivers their hot rods.

Try to buy your old ride back - and have both! I used to believe I couldn't have everything I wanted - until I got sick complaining I didn't have everything I wanted. I changed my tune, my attitude, and have done whatever I needed to do to get what I really want in life. LIttle by little, I'm getting it all.

I C 01-04-2012 02:34 AM

Couldn't be happier...

09 to 12. X to S. 2 door to 4. Glued on Stiletto versus built in Sirius. Auto versus manual. 3.8 to 3.6 = more oomph. Key in lock versus press button - a joy in itself. Kids climbing over seats in rain and snow or opening the door and getting in - no contest. No cruise to cruise - who knew I'd like cruise so much?

So far, no complaints. :) Enjoy your new stuff - it's not like you just got a Mercedes or Lexus or something fancy.

kbwwolf 01-04-2012 02:41 AM

Enjoy your new Jeep, come February. Till then, be safe. :punk:

FTNuke 01-04-2012 02:47 AM

Compared to my old one this is a Mercedes or Lexus.

FTNuke 01-04-2012 02:49 AM

Come February?

I C 01-04-2012 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTNuke (Post 1886373)
Compared to my old one this is a Mercedes or Lexus.

That's how I think and that M or L will still do Jeep stuff. Nice.

kbwwolf 01-04-2012 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTNuke (Post 1886374)
Come February?

Read the sigs.

FTNuke 01-04-2012 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 1886385)
Read the sigs.

Oops, gotcha!

lono100 01-04-2012 03:22 AM

i have been through my fair share of cars and it always takes a few days, maybe even weeks to get acclimated to a new ride. i almost cried when i sold my old rodeo that i owned for 13 years. of all the cars ive owned, i had that thing the longest and through all of the beatings i put that thing through, it looked as good the day i sold it (last labor day) as it did when i was driving it in high school.

rics1997 01-04-2012 03:29 AM

Why a JKU rubicon? I think you would have been happier with a 2012 2dr Sport. Sounds like you bought into the hype instead of getting what you would have been more comfortable with. The JKU really feels more like an SUV then a classic Jeep. Not saying it isn't very capable just not really the feel of a classic Jeep like the 2 door model.

FTNuke 01-04-2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rics1997 (Post 1886419)
Why a JKU rubicon? I think you would have been happier with a 2012 2dr Sport. Sounds like you bought into the hype instead of getting what you would have been more comfortable with. The JKU really feels more like an SUV then a classic Jeep. Not saying it isn't very capable just not really the feel of a classic Jeep like the 2 door model.

A 2dr sport really wouldn't have been any different than what I had already, so it wouldn't have been fulfilling any "practical" needs. The four door makes better sense for putting kids in, especially with car seats and other stuff like that, so it got the wife's approval. It's not that it wasn't doable before, but it is far easier with the unlimited. As far as why a Rubicon? I don't know, it pretty much is overkill, I don't really need the lockers and the Dana 44 up front, but I wanted them anyway.

strider_mt2k 01-04-2012 04:56 AM

No remorse here. Quite the opposite, really.
I DO however regret choosing to go out in the woods on such a cold day yesterday.

Stupid mud froze to the thing and it took forever to wash it off.
Awesome time though.

Good luck in your quest for vehicular happiness.

kjeeper10 01-04-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf
nope.

x2

kjeeper10 01-04-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTNuke
A 2dr sport really wouldn't have been any different than what I had already, so it wouldn't have been fulfilling any "practical" needs. The four door makes better sense for putting kids in, especially with car seats and other stuff like that, so it got the wife's approval. It's not that it wasn't doable before, but it is far easier with the unlimited. As far as why a Rubicon? I don't know, it pretty much is overkill, I don't really need the lockers and the Dana 44 up front, but I wanted them anyway.

What Rics said

Better sense yes!!

But still not what YOU wanted.

daggo66 01-04-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTNuke (Post 1886423)

What does your wife drive?

Zombie4x4 01-04-2012 06:21 AM

dont look at it like you lost your jeep you just picked up a fresh canvas :thumb:

jeffk42 01-04-2012 06:33 AM

I have a tendency to be a bit impulsive so when it comes to big ticket items (to me that's anything north of about $400 :) ) I almost always experience a tinge of buyer's remorse (i.e., did I really NEED this thing, or do I need the money more?)

When I bought my first new car, a 2001 Eclipse GT, I had that feeling briefly (especially since previously I had never spent more than $6k on a car).

I can honestly say that even though the Jeep is the second most expensive thing I've ever purchased (aside from my house), even more than my college education (well, net after scholarships), I have never for an instant felt even the slightest tinge of regret or remorse.

As a matter of fact, with a 125-mile round trip commute starting on Monday, I just bought a second car (2007 Corolla) because when all was said and done it was going to be cheaper on a monthly basis to buy, insure, and fuel a Corolla for that commute than it would be for gas alone in the Jeep.

A more practical person might have sold the Jeep and used the remainder after loan payoff to buy the Corolla outright. Now, THAT would have been remorse.

Yikes, sorry. Apparently I'm feeling long-winded today.

kbwwolf 01-04-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk42 (Post 1886579)
I have a tendency to be a bit impulsive so when it comes to big ticket items (to me that's anything north of about $400 :) ) I almost always experience a tinge of buyer's remorse (i.e., did I really NEED this thing, or do I need the money more?)

When I bought my first new car, a 2001 Eclipse GT, I had that feeling briefly (especially since previously I had never spent more than $6k on a car).

I can honestly say that even though the Jeep is the second most expensive thing I've ever purchased (aside from my house), even more than my college education (well, net after scholarships), I have never for an instant felt even the slightest tinge of regret or remorse.

As a matter of fact, with a 125-mile round trip commute starting on Monday, I just bought a second car (2007 Corolla) because when all was said and done it was going to be cheaper on a monthly basis to buy, insure, and fuel a Corolla for that commute than it would be for gas alone in the Jeep.

A more practical person might have sold the Jeep and used the remainder after loan payoff to buy the Corolla outright. Now, THAT would have been remorse.

Yikes, sorry. Apparently I'm feeling long-winded today.

To paraphrase: You're digging your Jeep, and bought a lesser vehicle to maintain that diggage.

Pretty much sums it up? :thumb:

jeffk42 01-04-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 1886593)
To paraphrase: You're digging your Jeep, and bought a lesser vehicle to maintain that diggage.

Pretty much sums it up? :thumb:

Essentially, yes. :wavey:

kbwwolf 01-04-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk42 (Post 1886596)
Essentially, yes. :wavey:

:thumb:

stangmata 01-04-2012 06:58 AM

I'm like jeffk42. I'm a huge impulse buyer...so I usually immediately regret buying something. (read: ruined Christmas one year by buying a motorcycle = unhappy wife).

My Jeep was a very hard choice. I had to give up my Bronco for it, which I swore I would be buried in. My Bronco was my wedding cake, was even in our wedding vows...it had more blood, sweat, and tears in it than anything I had ever owned. Selling that truck crushed me and I regretted the Jeep...but now, I couldn't be happier. The Jeep just fits my needs better and I only work on it when I HAVE to. In short; your regret will fade.

Now selling my 08 Ram Hemi for my wife's Murano.....there's a little regret there.

theotis 01-04-2012 07:00 AM

Sounds like you are just moving into a different phase of life. Back when I sold my '95, because it wouldn't tow my boat and it didn't do well with the four of us and our stuff, I would have loved the option of a JKU. Now the kids are gone and its just the three of us (2 + dog Otis), I got a 2012 JK sport. There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.

ryanJKunlimited2012 01-04-2012 07:03 AM

Give it some time. Going from a 2 door to a 4 door is tough. I just did the same. But now there aren't 3 sets of foot marks on my front seat from the kids getting in and out of the vehicle. I don't know how I would feel if my old ride had been a Jeep, probably similar to you. You spend so much time making it yours, and then you have to move on. I liked the blank canvas statement earlier, as well as an old addage, happy wife = happy life. May make it easier to pick up a few mods when you discuss how your last jeep could do this or that.

Chewtoy 01-04-2012 07:10 AM

I just bought a 2012 JK Arctic. No regrets. Have fun!! Let's discuss buyer's remorse if you buy a mini-van ,,,,

kbwwolf 01-04-2012 07:13 AM

Stangmata:

I had a Bronco once. Blew a tire on I-35 northbound in Austin, TX, and pegged the guardrail on my way to shoot a Nickelback concert (don't worry...still made the concert). Never the same, after that. Ditched it for a turbo Mitsubishi...another story. :facepalm:

Never loved a vehicle like I do my Jeep. Sometimes I open the door to my garage just to look at it's awesomeness.

This is gonna hurt, since you spoke about your Bronco with such love and reverence.

My Bronco was a turd. Good riddance. Sorry, man.