Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Plasti Dip grille (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/plasti-dip-grille-131298.html)

PittJeep 01-04-2012 09:04 PM

Plasti Dip grille

Anyone done this to their jeep? If so, any pics or instructions on doing it right? Haha

kjeeper10 01-04-2012 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tj :)

Best advice... Prep is key

2-3 or more coats.

PittJeep 01-04-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Tj :)

Best advice... Prep is key

2-3 or more coats.

Did you have to put anything behind the grille to keep it from getting on your radiator?

4fit 01-04-2012 09:19 PM

Doing mine this weekend. Bought the plasti-dip today. Taking the grill off to paint it. Only takes a minute to pull it off, so no reason not to.

kjeeper10 01-04-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PittJeep

Did you have to put anything behind the grille to keep it from getting on your radiator?

Painting it?
I removed. It was actually a overlay.
Plus it was metal.

The Jk is plastic and very easy to remove.

I had used a etching primer but obviously can't with the JK..
I don't know what is best for plastic.

Seen it done on here. Wait... (Gluestick)
Bedlined his grill I think. See if he chimes In :)

kbwwolf 01-04-2012 09:27 PM

Master's degree in Plasti Dip:

Rustproofing help for you guys....PLASTIDIP

Same principal, different application:

Plasti Dip Coating Wheels

PittJeep 01-04-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf
Master's degree in Plasti Dip:

Rustproofing help for you guys....PLASTIDIP

Same principal, different application:

Plasti Dip Coating Wheels

Awesome, thanks!

PittJeep 01-04-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit
Doing mine this weekend. Bought the plasti-dip today. Taking the grill off to paint it. Only takes a minute to pull it off, so no reason not to.

If you take any pics I'd like to see them, especially since I also have a silver JKU!

TJe0454 01-04-2012 09:34 PM

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/plas...ll-120157.html

PittJeep 01-04-2012 09:43 PM

For anyone else wondering how to remove the grille...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...moval-1081265/

Riccochet 01-04-2012 10:26 PM

I did my JKR wheels as well as my 240SX and GSR wheels. What I learned, and maybe yall can use this as well, is the stuff doesn't run all that much. I did my wheels in 1 coat. And it's thick. You get a lot less texture and it looks more like a powder coat. You just have to make sure you apply it evenly across the entire object you're spraying. Spray until it looks like it's completely covered and shiny wet. Then while it's still wet use a flash light and look for thin spots and hit those up. Let it dry. You'll get a super even, flat, non-textured finish. If it does run just let it dry and peel it off and re-do it.

Oh, and I'll be doing my JKR grill and bumper soon. Once I get the stubby bumper caps and light bar.

NFRs2000NYC 01-05-2012 12:48 AM

Just wash it well, let it dry, and wipe it down with alcohol. No other prep required. Be patient, wait between coats, and apply AT LEAST 3-4 coats for optimum results. Take the grill off the car to make it braindead easy.

Post pics of result!

Border_Beat_AZ 01-05-2012 01:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Did my grille a few weeks ago. I really like the results. Cleaning it is key and I also removed it prior to applying. I have noticed that it is peaking slightly inside one of the "e" logos in "Jeep". I will be reapplying a little more there to clean it up. I did 4 coats, took about 1.5 cans. Good luck.

Attachment 87532

kbwwolf 01-05-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 1889723)
Take the grill off the car to make it braindead easy.
Post pics of result!

Car?

Believe I pointed this out to you in a recent PM, NYC.

Obviously didn't take. Therefore, gotta throw the gloves down. You conversant with hockey? You know what the phrase "spittin Chiclets" means? I'm gonna break you of this disgusting habit, if I do nothing else in 2012. :D

Ready? Here I come...

NFRs2000NYC 01-05-2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 1889906)
Car?

Believe I pointed this out to you in a recent PM, NYC.

Obviously didn't take. Therefore, gotta throw the gloves down. You conversant with hockey? You know what the phrase "spittin Chiclets" means? I'm gonna break you of this disgusting habit, if I do nothing else in 2012. :D

Ready? Here I come...

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Actually, if you search all my postings, I usually call it a truck or a rig. Sometimes though, since I have 3 other cars, I forget.

60% of the time, it's correct everytime. ;)

You stay classy WForum!

4fit 01-05-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PittJeep (Post 1889202)
If you take any pics I'd like to see them, especially since I also have a silver JKU!

I'll make sure to take a few pics of the process. Can't decide whether I want to remove the Jeep emblem entirely or if I want to keep it chrome like the one below. This is a guys jeep from the JK-F board and his is bedlined, not plasti-dipped, but you get the idea.
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3016/91774268.jpg

PittJeep 01-05-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

I'll make sure to take a few pics of the process. Can't decide whether I want to remove the Jeep emblem entirely or if I want to keep it chrome like the one below. This is a guys jeep from the JK-F board and his is bedlined, not plasti-dipped, but you get the idea.

Can you just Plasti Dip the Jeep emblem along with the grille and then just cut off the part around the emblem to keep it chrome? Or would you have to remove it and essentially place it back on after it all dried?

Ballandchain 01-05-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 1889723)
Take the grill off the car to make it braindead easy.

Post pics of result!

-3 Jeepin points for referring to your Jeep as a car. LOL , just kidding man. But seriously, don't do it again.......:angel:

4fit 01-05-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PittJeep (Post 1890365)
Can you just Plasti Dip the Jeep emblem along with the grille and then just cut off the part around the emblem to keep it chrome? Or would you have to remove it and essentially place it back on after it all dried?

If I decide to keep the emblem on there, I plan on just spraying right over top of it and then scoring around it with an x-acto knife and removing it from the emblem. I may just remove the emblem completely though. Can't decide.:facepalm:

PittJeep 01-05-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

If I decide to keep the emblem on there, I plan on just spraying right over top of it and then scoring around it with an x-acto knife and removing it from the emblem. I may just remove the emblem completely though. Can't decide.:facepalm:

Haha hey if this is the toughest decision you have to make today, I'd say that's a pretty good day! Personally, i really like how the emblem looks in that pic of the silver one... Probably convinced me to keep mine that way

4fit 01-05-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PittJeep (Post 1890575)
Haha hey if this is the toughest decision you have to make today, I'd say that's a pretty good day! Personally, i really like how the emblem looks in that pic of the silver one... Probably convinced me to keep mine that way

True.

Some folks bedline right over it, and I think that looks fine too.
http://i39.tinypic.com/2n6spw2.jpg

Others remove it entirely.
http://my.project-jk.com/data/500/medium/MG_5032.jpg

Right now, I am leaning towards removing it. I don't have any other chrome on the Jeep other than that emblem.:confused:

Rmeeks 01-05-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit (Post 1890714)
True.

Some folks bedline right over it, and I think that looks fine too.

Others remove it entirely.
http://my.project-jk.com/data/500/medium/MG_5032.jpg

Right now, I am leaning towards removing it. I don't have any other chrome on the Jeep other than that emblem.:confused:

How do you get the smooth result like this one..... I want to do mine but would like it to be less textured and more smooth

4fit 01-05-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmeeks (Post 1890844)
How do you get the smooth result like this one..... I want to do mine but would like it to be less textured and more smooth

Not sure what that particular owner used. All he states is that it is bedliner of some fashion. Below is a closer up pic of that Jeeps grill. The Plasti-Dip will certainly provide a smoother surface that most bedliners I would imagine. But, if you wanted a completely smooth surface, then regular flat/matte automotive paint would be your best bet.
http://my.project-jk.com/data/500/medium/MG_5034.jpg

Terex 01-05-2012 08:28 PM

How is bug removal on those coated grills? Better or worse than painted or chrome?

PittJeep 01-06-2012 02:30 PM

Well I started the process for my grille, keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out alright!

4fit 01-06-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PittJeep
Well I started the process for my grille, keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out alright!

Be sure to post up pics. I'll be pulling mine off tonight and cleaning it real good then I'll spray it sometime tomorrow. Also thinking about doing my windshield brackets.

PittJeep 01-06-2012 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Be sure to post up pics. I'll be pulling mine off tonight and cleaning it real good then I'll spray it sometime tomorrow. Also thinking about doing my windshield brackets.

They'll be coming... I think i was getting myself nervous after the first and second coat, but the third one i just put on makess it look like it's really coming together

4fit 01-06-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PittJeep (Post 1895074)
They'll be coming... I think i was getting myself nervous after the first and second coat, but the third one i just put on makess it look like it's really coming together

:punk: Nothing to get nervous about. It's plasti-dip. Don't like it? Just peel it off. :D

Kelsey73 01-06-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit (Post 1895081)
:punk: Nothing to get nervous about. It's plasti-dip. Don't like it? Just peel it off. :D

I want to try this on my grill, but I'm nervous about the peeling off part. How does it work? I've seen the videos, but does it damage the paint in any way ie leave a residue or dull the clear?

Thanks!

4fit 01-06-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelsey73

I want to try this on my grill, but I'm nervous about the peeling off part. How does it work? I've seen the videos, but does it damage the paint in any way ie leave a residue or dull the clear?

Thanks!

Nope. As far as I can tell, it just peeled right off.