Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   33x12.5 on standard tire carrier (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/33x12-5-on-standard-tire-carrier-1314.html)

sdotson52 03-11-2006 08:38 PM

33x12.5 on standard tire carrier
 
Just a simple question, will 33x12.5 tires fit on the tire carrier on back of my TJ. I will be getting the warn front and rear bumbers in the future, but hopefully won't need the tire carrier if the one on it already holds it. Thanks:rolleyes:

4Jeepn 03-11-2006 10:48 PM

With a stock rim it might not, I know for mine I had to get an adaptor for like 30 bucks, even with the after market rims and it was fine.

bluvikng 03-11-2006 11:54 PM

I put a 3.5" backspaced 10" rim with 33"X12.5 on the back of our TJ standard tire mount, and it worked fine. I just lifted the 3rd brake light about 2" to clear the spare. Also had to extend the rubber stops behind the tire, on the tailgate, to make a firm fit. Our Rubi game with 16X8" wheels, and the back spacing is different than the 15X10" that I now have on.

U.S.MarineLJ 03-12-2006 12:33 AM

Over time the weight of your 33" tire will fatigue the tailgate hinge and possibly tweak the tailgate out. Worst case scenerio, you're driving down the interstate at 70 MPH and the weight of your wheel pulls the screws from the tailgate you lose the wheel and kill someone. Gotta think worst case scenerio. Nobody wants to drop the coin on the tire carrier, but for me the potential safety issue was enough to make my decision. A lot of people will run an oversized spare on their stock carrier and have no ill effects, however others will typically suffer a bent tailgate. Your call.

John

Fapple 03-12-2006 08:36 AM

2 quick stories about oversized tires on factory tire carriers. I used the Teraflex tire spacer to move the tire out and lifted the brake light several inches so I could mount my 33x11.5 spare tire. In less then 5 months my factory tire carrier was cracked on both sides just from the weight and as U.S.MarineLJ had said the potential for coming off on the highway was a reality.

Story 2. A friend in my jeep club also had his 33" spare mounted on the factory tire carrier and while out wheeling, came off a rock hit the spare tire and twisted his tailgate up like a pretzel.

The moral to these stories are: for your jeeps safety, and the safety of those around you... spend the extra money now for a heavy duty aftermarket tire carrier. anything else is just wasting monney on things that don't work (or only work for a short time).


Frank

4Jeepn 03-12-2006 11:15 AM

Yet another short story.... MY fancy after market heavy duty tire carrie also busted... when a 20,000lb tow strap broke like a twig. Sending the shock wave into the tire carrier and busting the weld. Thus, you may also want to re-inforce the after market ones as well.

U.S.MarineLJ 03-12-2006 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn
Yet another short story.... MY fancy after market heavy duty tire carrie also busted... when a 20,000lb tow strap broke like a twig. Sending the shock wave into the tire carrier and busting the weld. Thus, you may also want to re-inforce the after market ones as well.

Was this a swing away style, or the kind that makes the stock carrier compatable with larger tires? Got any pics? Which weld broke?

Texapple 03-12-2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fapple

The moral to these stories are: for your jeeps safety, and the safety of those around you... spend the extra money now for a heavy duty aftermarket tire carrier. anything else is just wasting monney on things that don't work (or only work for a short time).


Frank

I go to work and we see who lurks on the forum.....

could that statement imply that my "new carrier" is on order?? :D

lunneborgc 03-28-2006 01:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm guessing the response to this tire carrier would be a bad one, I'll attach the pictures because I'm not sure how to make them display in the message.

jeeperman 03-28-2006 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunneborgc
I'm guessing the response to this tire carrier would be a bad one, I'll attach the pictures because I'm not sure how to make them display in the message.

Why do you say that? I don't really see anything wrong with it, as long as the mounts are reinforced inside the tub. The stock tailgate hinges/mounts aren't designed to carry all the weight, that's why you need an aftermarket carrier. If done properly, the body will support your tire.

lunneborgc 03-28-2006 02:01 PM

My understanding of what everyone is saying is, in order to safely carry a larger tire, to get the swing away tire carrier which attaches to the bumper. Not to the stock location on the body. I like that tire carrier also, just found it online last night.

jeeperman 03-28-2006 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunneborgc
My understanding of what everyone is saying is, in order to safely carry a larger tire, to get the swing away tire carrier which attaches to the bumper. Not to the stock location on the body. I like that tire carrier also, just found it online last night.

That is what we are saying, but it is because of the way the stock carrier and tailgate are mounted, not the body strength.

lunneborgc 03-28-2006 02:37 PM

right on, thanks for the info - Chris

caljeep 05-24-2006 01:40 AM

aftermarket tire carriers
 
Something to consider .Olympic makes an aftermarket heavy duty tire carrier that attaches to the factory tailgate holes. It seems very solid and it accomodates larger tires.

whiteyj 05-24-2006 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunneborgc
I'm guessing the response to this tire carrier would be a bad one, I'll attach the pictures because I'm not sure how to make them display in the message.

I have the OR-Fab carrier as well. Even my 31" spare was beating the hell out of the tailgate. New carrier gets 2 Jerry cans and the spare are tucked away tight as possible to the tailgate and most importantly OFF the tailgate! It's been well worth the $$$.

1BLKJP 05-24-2006 03:56 PM

The only potential problem with those style tire carriers is the stress they put on the body itself. This will not happen to everyone, but I have seen the OR Fab one crack the body.

18derrick 05-24-2006 08:39 PM

I think of fabing up a tire mount where the rear seat goes. to bolt where the seat went using all five bolts. mount the tire at an angle like in a truck bed but it does away with the rear seat.

whiteyj 05-24-2006 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BLKJP
The only potential problem with those style tire carriers is the stress they put on the body itself. This will not happen to everyone, but I have seen the OR Fab one crack the body.

Man I don't see how. That thing tied to my roll bar anchors on both sides, tub spacer to the frame, then sandwiched the tub wall.

4xfiend 05-24-2006 09:55 PM

I mounted my 33x12.5 on the stock bracket using a spacer for a few months while saving the coin for a proper bumper/tire carrier. Figured it was only for a short time so I'd be okay. Wrong! Since I have mounted up my new rear bumper I have been trying to fix the rattles I have from my tailgate being tweaked. The carrier (LoD) has a bracket made to contact one of the rubber bumpers to keep it snug. Every little bump makes it rattle. If I take off the rubber bumper the carrier rattles. I'd rather the tailgate rattle than mess up my carrier, but it gets to be real annoying. The tailgate just isn't made to hold that weight.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.