Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   08' Wrangler Sahara Lost Key (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/08-wrangler-sahara-lost-key-131436.html)

Aegy 01-05-2012 04:46 PM

08' Wrangler Sahara Lost Key

Yup, 1st post. Great forum, I love my wrangler, and I'll be around more often.

In a bind, lost both keys (lost 1st one years ago) to my 08' Jeep Wrangler Sahara. I called my dealership, and they said I had to get it towed there and they couldn't give me a key because it needed to be programmed.

Thing is, my dealership scammed me before when I was having some engine trouble, so I'm not exactly trusting them in this department.

Question is, is there anyway I can get a key to my Jeep WITHOUT towing it all the way to my dealership?

kik 01-05-2012 04:54 PM

If you saved the key code they should be able to provide it, but you have to go there and prove you own it unless you lost both keys. If that's the case, I think they might be right.

the rock99 01-05-2012 05:50 PM

call some local locksmiths, they may have the equipment necessary

2012-Rubicon 01-05-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the rock99
call some local locksmiths, they may have the equipment necessary

If he lost both keys and they were transponder he is going to have to go to the dealer, period. Case closed.

They will have to program the keys to the SKIM module. And for his sake he better hope not to many other keys have been programmed as if I recall correctly only 5 keys can be programmed before the SKIM has to be changed out. Gotta love technology!

I used to cut and program transponder keys. Up until about a year ago.

the rock99 01-05-2012 06:07 PM

not necessarily true, I am an industrial locksmith and the company I work for has the necessary equipment to reprogram vehicles and transponder keys. The equipment isn't cheap and we don't have any jeeps so I can't say with 100% certainty that it would work, but we can reprogram other chryslers, ford, and chevys. Whenever a key is lost we reprogram the car and make new transponder keys.

2012-Rubicon 01-05-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the rock99
not necessarily true, I am an industrial locksmith and the company I work for has the necessary equipment to reprogram vehicles and transponder keys. The equipment isn't cheap and we don't have any jeeps so I can't say with 100% certainty that it would work, but we can reprogram other chryslers, ford, and chevys. Whenever a key is lost we reprogram the car and make new transponder keys.

Yeah so, did we but it just got to a point where the equipment and updates weren't worth it anymore so we just started sending people to the dealer. Most locksmiths do not make the investment to begin with.

the rock99 01-05-2012 06:21 PM

thats why I said,

"call some local locksmiths, they may have the equipment necessary",

the OP doesn't have his location listed but if he lives near a a big city he may be able to find one, may not be any cheaper than the dealer, but he said he doesn't trust the dealer.

Aegy 01-05-2012 08:34 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I live in New York City.

Mabar 01-13-2012 04:03 PM

For those folks who already have 2 working keys, here is a place to get uncut, inexpensive transponder chip keys online:

Jeep Wrangler Transponder Chip Keys

These keys are American Made and will work in all 2007 through 2012 Wranglers

Mabar

2012-Rubicon 01-13-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mabar
For those folks who already have 2 working keys, here is a place to get uncut, inexpensive transponder chip keys online:

Jeep Wrangler Transponder Chip Keys

These keys are American Made and will work in all 2007 through 2012 Wranglers

Mabar

And gravy to program!

kbwwolf 01-13-2012 04:45 PM

I think I've still got the key to my high school locker. An antique, now. Wonder if it's worth anything? :D