Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2012 jk already getting a head replaced (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2012-jk-already-getting-a-head-replaced-131728.html)

Eojochaz 01-07-2012 07:04 AM

2012 jk already getting a head replaced

I bought my 2012 in september and couldn't be happier about the decision , until now.
my check engine light came on just after 11k miles, so obviously i brought it back to jeep. they gave me a loaner and 3 days later they fixed the problem. said it was a bad computer , was reading out there was an issue with one of the heads, and they had to replace it (the computer). so 3 days later i pick up Dorothy (thats my jeep) and go home happy.
the next day im at work on my coffee break sitting in my jeep staying warm and the check engine light comes on again. so i call and make an appointment to drop it off again. I dropped it off on the monday after christmas.
Tuesday they call me and tell me that its still reading that there was a head issue so they have to call some headquarters and ask what to do.
Wednesday still no answers...
Thursday they tell me there going to have to replace the head. part should come in on monday and i should have my jeep back wednesday.
That wednesday comes around , no call.... so thursday after work i call to find out whats up. apparently the part didn't come in until wednesday (just a day before, and 2 days later than expected) and they were still working on putting it back together. hopefully friday i should have Dorothy back .
Friday came and no call. so i call friday night at 5 because i know the service department closes at 6 , and there still not done fixing it , and the guy working on it does not work saturdays so another weekend i get go go without my jeep.
i guess the reason im posting this , is i would like to know if any one has had or heard of any problems similar or even worst than this. should i throw in the towel already and go back to a jeep with a straight 6 . why do they gotta be messing with a good thing ?! :surrender:

GREEN-MACHINE 01-07-2012 07:10 AM

what part of the jeep is head,,, are you talking cylinder head, or are you talking cpu or pcm... never heard any part of a jeep called a ''head''

44Blues 01-07-2012 08:23 AM

It's sounds to me like it is one of the cylinder heads and that after what they thought was a false computer warning there was actually a problem with the cylinder head...let us know what happens and which head it was, what specifically was wrong etc. Good luck! I bet if there was nothing wrong with the head after all they may not even tell you....friggin electronics!

Eojochaz 01-09-2012 02:22 PM

well its been two weeks today that i have dropped it off and nothing yet , and yes its the cylinder head . my technician did not specify left or right but its being replaced.

alknope 01-09-2012 02:37 PM

luck of the draw, That shouldn't hapen to any vehicle with that low of milage, not even a sunflower....I mean fire

tcass 01-09-2012 03:26 PM

:popcorn: yup, want to know how it goes. coming up on 11000 by the end of the week...will be watching for the outcome.

at least they didn't try to wiggle out of it but sure seems to be taking a long time. i would have had them replace both if i could. not that it really would matter....its a ballance thing..ying and yang. :popcorn:

cass:wavey:

ranjr 01-09-2012 04:24 PM

Wow, 11K miles. I bought mine in August and have only managed 4.3K. Good luck!

broomhandle 01-09-2012 05:11 PM

Sounds like maybe a warped head.

Kelsey73 01-09-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjr (Post 1904438)
Wow, 11K miles. I bought mine in August and have only managed 4.3K. Good luck!

Gotta catch up! I got mine in September and have 6K :thumb:

dale 3 01-09-2012 06:23 PM

That sucks! Well i hate to tell ya what i would do? Well i'll tell ya anyway.I was a auto machinist for 10 yrs. about 15 yrs. ago.You got a large investment their.The dealer will fix it. Will it last past your warranty while your still making payments? The cylinder head is not like replacing a alternator.Your messing with the longevity of a NEW engine oppose to one never taken apart.Shit can happen,Gasket or silicone material going into oil pump screen,fines from cleaning gasket material in oil then bearings,wrong valve lash,yady,yady.Hopefully you'll have a real good teck. to repair it.I would monitor your engine real close after the fix any issues i mean any engine related.I would DEMAND a new engine.Don't mean to worry ya but hay it's your $$$$ and vehicle after the warranty.I just thought of something:I would want to see the new heads before they go back on.Are THEY COMPLETEY ASSEMBLED out of the box?All valves and springs assembled? No dealer grinds valves and seats.If they just swap out valves and springs on bare castings your engine will not be right.

gmoore1 02-03-2012 06:18 PM

What was the outcome of this? Found out today that our 12 Sahara JKU (8,600 miles) has to have the head replaced. Engine light came on. At first said a computer update was needed than came on again two days later. Second time read a #2 cylinder misfire code.

Up Hill Bill 02-03-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eojochaz (Post 1896752)
.... going to have to replace the head. ....

:eek: That makes 3 forum members with Pentastars having a head replaced in the past few weeks, Eojochaz,

and sandbaja: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/cho...ly-137170.html

and jk11-girl: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/12-...ke-136623.html

Edit: Oops, and gmoore1 (post above) makes 4!

wanderlust 02-03-2012 07:05 PM

hmmm, sound like a defect in a casting, or bad valves.. What are the born in dates on the jeeps in question? wonder if it is a batch of cylinder heads or an issue bigger than that?
As far as the cylinder head goes.. If it is like any other manufacture It will be a complete head including camshafts. The engine isnt really new and have not seen an issue with the minivan version (I work for VW so we have the 3.6 in the routan)

gmoore1 02-03-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 1991698)
:eek: That makes 3 forum members with Pentastars having a head replaced in the past few weeks, Eojochaz,

The service guy said they did a '12 Grand Cherokee couple weeks ago.
Same code and everything. This was not the dealer we bought from but they were quick to give us a free rent car even before they confirmed the head replacement. mmmm........

Captchris 02-03-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmoore1 (Post 1991732)
The service guy said they did a '12 Grand Cherokee couple weeks ago.
Same code and everything. This was not the dealer we bought from but they were quick to give us a free rent car even before they confirmed the head replacement. mmmm........

I wouldn't panic just yet. Chrysler has produced over 1 million of these motors since its introduction in 2010 and have installed them in sixteen different models. Chrysler Pentastar engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As an engineer, I can tell you that when you make a million of anything there will be a certain and acceptable number of failures. An engine has hundreds of parts. Every now and then you get a bad batch of some component. It happens. Believe me...you always hear people talk about the failures. I think that we will have to wait and see on this one. If these things were blowing up left and right, it would certainly be a big deal.

I know that if it happens to you it sucks. Every now and then you get a bad one.

sandbaja 02-03-2012 09:41 PM

The count is 5 reported in the last month which includes another forum person. I agree with the above poster however what is interesting to me is they are cylinder 2 failures. Can anyone think of a reason why this specific cylinder or valving might have higher stress? Its also possible the robot at the factory assembling this was out of spec.

Eojochaz 02-04-2012 07:03 AM

well sorry its been a while since updating. i got her back about 3 weeks ago. so for so good. they ended up replacing the right side cylinder head and believe it or not the engine actually sounds better than it did form the factory brand new. i was concerned the first time i drove it because of how loud it was just getting to 3k rpms . with the numbers stacking up with the same issue then maybe it was just a bad batch of cylinder heads produced , i can buy that. i hope thats what it is and not anything worse.

so most recently Dorothy has been back in the shop to have the stereo head unit replaced due to the fact the voice command for the u-connect was not recognizing my voice. they replaced it and is working fine again accept the fact that who ever did it , didn't put the trim back around the stereo correctly and there is a big gap around the trim and the dash so once again i brought it in and asked them to fix it. apparently the technician broke one of the clips so now they have to order me a new one, supposed to be in on monday , so , once again i am without my jeep for the weekend . don't so much mind having a free rental during the week , keeps the milage off my jeep , but how am i supposed to pick up women in a minivan

mpr131 02-04-2012 07:45 AM

I read the below a few weeks after I picked up my 2012. Taken from another forum: pentastar thoughts ??? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com. This post was made on 8/18/11. As the poster says, take it for what it's worth and I thought little of it.....until now. :crossingfingers:

Quote:

Sorry for the delay, but for a variety of reasons I couldn't reveal what I heard until now. This is only what was told to me in private conversations and I have zero first hand knowledge, but I think it worth sharing. From two Chrysler techs and a Mopar/Chrysler engineer I have heard that "there is a problem" with the Pentastar. Many of the those that went into the public market are now coming back having lost the #2 cylinder. There is little regularity to the failure; some suck a valve, some throw a rod, and in others the cylinder just fries, but it's always #2, and nobody can say why. They are working very hard to figure it out and, I would imagine, have pulled most available engineering resources to resolve the issue(s). As many (millions?) of new vehicles are set to be recipients of this "innovative" new power-plant, this could be a devastating blow to the auto group, and, as you can imagine, they have been doing everything imaginable to keep this information under wraps. Again, this is only what was told to me in private conversations and I have zero first hand knowledge. To protect my sources I will not, under any circumstance, reveal who they are, nor any other potentially identifying information, so don't ask. Take this for what it is; heresy from an anonymous internet troll, perhaps, but I have nothing to gain by posting this, so consider yourselves warned.

strider_mt2k 02-04-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eojochaz (Post 1993038)
...don't so much mind having a free rental during the week , keeps the milage off my jeep , but how am i supposed to pick up women in a minivan

Don't be a fool. Lift with your knees, man!

volks88 02-04-2012 09:16 AM

GREAT. The reason I got rid of my 06 Hummer H3 for a 2012 Jeep was because the Cylinder Head kept failing on the 06-07 H3's :banghead:. We hummer guys have this same problem some of you were mentioning here but in a bigger scale. I'm no mechanic, but it was because the head was made out of aluminum from what I was reading and what the mechanic told me when I had mine replaced. Thank God for warranty. Now that the warranty went out I got the Jeep. I'm hoping the Pentastar is not the same way, I plan on keeping this Jeep for life.

For those mechanical inclined, read up on the 2006 Hummer H3 head issues, see if we might end up the same way.

Dang aluminum!!!!

sandbaja 02-04-2012 10:16 AM

That email is around the same time the build was occurring for many of us. Mid-July through August of 2011 is when most of the early adopters (6/24 er's) had their Jeeps built. If it becomes more prevalent then asking for free or reduced extended warranty may be called for. Personnally I'm hoping that those that recently popped up were the brunt of the batch and we just took the bullet for the team. What I'd really like to find out is what the root issue is/was and what was done to address the defect. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone.

Eojochaz 02-04-2012 10:51 PM

i agree, i'd like to hear resolve to the issue at hand instead of a bandied to cover it up. i was planning on getting a '12 rubi but this head issue really bothers me

sandbaja 02-05-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eojochaz (Post 1995808)
i agree, i'd like to hear resolve to the issue at hand instead of a bandied to cover it up. i was planning on getting a '12 rubi but this head issue really bothers me

Eojochaz, what was the build date of your Jeep?

JandS 02-05-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 1991698)

This happens to damn near every engine/transmission when new. The key is whether the mfg takes responsibility and how quickly they figure out and solve the problem.

Ever see all of those pics of Ferraris with a few hundred miles catching fires? It wasn't about poor engineering or crummy management.

Ever hear of Toyota's sludge problems? It wasn't about a culture or poor quality.

How about Subis with detonation (fatal) problems?

Today's engines/transmission are much more complex than those of just a decade ago. This is how you can get 30mpg and 300 hp out of engines on what are historically heavy vehicles. The flip side is that small mfg defects are going to manifest themselves from time to time.

Eojochaz 03-11-2012 01:31 PM

sorry its been so long but the born on date was august '11

Fishinfool 03-27-2012 08:29 AM

Sorry to report yet another Jeep with the same problem. Check engine light and cylinder 6 misfiring. At the dealer as I right this to see what they are gong to do. Hope it doesn't take 3 weeks. Jim.

snikt 03-27-2012 08:34 AM

Hmm, hope this isn't a common problem, mine was on the dealer's lot 9-15, so probably born in August

HAFICON 03-27-2012 09:19 AM

This is scary stuff. Read on JK Forums about massive problems with this engine, I can only hope it is resolved quickly. Mine was built November 11, I said I would never buy another Wrangler since they droped the stright six, but.. picked up a 2012 JK on an impulse buy did no research just walked in to the dealer and drove away in a JK.

MJones 03-27-2012 10:38 AM

I am at 9K miles on my JKU. Engine light has come on and appears to be idling sluggish.

Taking it to the dealer today.

It appears there are quite a few of us with the same problem...

Wrangler_Man11 03-27-2012 11:34 AM

So much for this so called "Jesus Engine" in the 2012's?? I have a 2011 JKU going on 16k miles and no problems. <Knocks on wood>.