Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   258 & purple hornie (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/258-and-purple-hornie-131765.html)

sickboy 01-07-2012 11:43 AM

258 & purple hornie

Hi all happy new year
not long ago i had to renew my exhaust system from front to back ,
i had a low budget so i just went with the stock front down pipe, from there i had no cat so decided to mount my purple hornie where the cat should be then i mounted the tail pipe to that,
the thing is i like the sound of the pipe with the glass pack purple hornie when its ticking over but when i just want to drive the thing it sound horrible a bit like as if its got a hole in the pipe to much noise, is there a way i can tame the noise down a bit when its in motion .

HELP PLEASE
hope you guys & girls understand what im withering on a bout
line 258

Thanks

kmanator 01-07-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sickboy (Post 1897362)
is there a way i can tame the noise down a bit when its in motion .
Thanks

Turn the Radio up louder :punk:

daddyjeep 01-07-2012 04:34 PM

Puitting a CAT back on may help, or get a different muffler.

sickboy 01-14-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 1898061)
Puitting a CAT back on may help, or get a different muffler.

thanks
do you mean the catalyst back on and then the purple hornie ?
so that would be the front down pipe then the cat then the purple hornie then the tail pipe ?
im on a low budget as from today im also looking for a good carb kit

daddyjeep 01-14-2012 09:43 PM

Yes, put the Catylatic Converter back on if you still have it. If it is still too loud, then you will need to find a different muffler than the purple horny. A cheap parts store turbo muffler might do the trick.

Nubby55 01-14-2012 10:40 PM

Go to a wreaking yard a get a good used muffler and put on it in place of the Horny, are just and it behind the Horny. the Horny will make a good resonator.

sickboy 01-24-2012 10:21 AM

Thank you every one for your input,
im now looking for a cat, also a different taip pipe, as i have be told the pipe i baught is now good because it has ripples in the bends which screws round with the flow of the exaust gass's :banghead: and can cause the rasspy farting sound when im driving.

daddyjeep 01-24-2012 11:22 AM

I have a catco high flow cat from summit. 2.5" ends. It has the tube on the side for emissions but that can be capped if not needed. I bought for $60 a few years ago and it is still in the box. $40 and its yours. Shoot me a pm if you want it.

sickboy 01-24-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 1955603)
I have a catco high flow cat from summit. 2.5" ends. It has the tube on the side for emissions but that can be capped if not needed. I bought for $60 a few years ago and it is still in the box. $40 and its yours. Shoot me a pm if you want it.

Heads up pm sent

sickboy 01-28-2012 01:56 PM

Hi guys & girls so I got my self a flowmaster 40 ,man dose that make a difference ive binned the purple horni ,just got to rebuild the back end of the pipe now and ready to go yeehaa

daddyjeep 01-28-2012 08:26 PM

Glad you got her sounding better. I have the 40 series on mine too and they do sound nice.