Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Vibration after BB (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/vibration-after-bb-131866.html)

MustangWrangler 01-07-2012 09:29 PM

Vibration after BB
 
I heard that usually after a budget boost you don't typically get drive train vibes unless you go 3" or more. Is this correct? I also know every Jeep is different. We put on the 2.25 BB last weekend and I immediately felt the vibrations during acceleration and once I am up to speed. Assuming I will need to drop the transfer case to fix this. Had the front end aligned the next day and it still has the vibes.

My main questions is if it's it OK to drive while I have the vibrations?

TJspeed 01-07-2012 09:32 PM

Its either a hit or miss. my 00 came with a 2'' BB and has no vibs but uncle bought a 01 and put a 2'' BB and had vibs. But no its not a good idea. you need to do a TC drop. Or do a SYE kit

hardcoretj 01-07-2012 09:38 PM

Take a look at your u-joints. They are operating at a steeper angle now, if they were a bit stiff before they will be binding now. You shouldn't really need a t-case drop with that much lift.

TJspeed 01-07-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardcoretj (Post 1899076)
Take a look at your u-joints. They are operating at a steeper angle now, if they were a bit stiff before they will be binding now. You shouldn't really need a t-case drop with that much lift.

Like i said its either a hit or miss. my 00 came with a 2'' BB and has no vibs but uncle bought a 01 and put a 2'' BB and had vibs and had to do a TC drop

TJNewbie 01-07-2012 10:12 PM

I've got a 2000 too, I just did a 2.25" BBL and no vibes. I even threw 3/4" isolator pads on top of front spacers.

TJDave 01-07-2012 10:17 PM

I had a slight vibe during acceleration with my old 2.25" BB on my '04. Installed a JKS 1.25"BL/MML and the problem was solved without dropping the TC skid.

Arch Stanton 01-07-2012 10:20 PM

I had a 1.75" BB installed yesterday and no vibrations. However, it does have a stiffer ride even with OME Nitrocharger shocks.

Hobbit712 01-08-2012 08:09 AM

I put on a 1.75 Daystar BB the other day. No vibes for me. :thumb:

I guess the consensus is I now need to get an alignment?

T2000J 01-08-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangWrangler (Post 1899046)
I heard that usually after a budget boost you don't typically get drive train vibes unless you go 3" or more. Is this correct? I also know every Jeep is different. We put on the 2.25 BB last weekend and I immediately felt the vibrations during acceleration and once I am up to speed. Assuming I will need to drop the transfer case to fix this. Had the front end aligned the next day and it still has the vibes.

My main questions is if it's it OK to drive while I have the vibrations?

No it's hard on your u-joints
A quick fix would be to get washers and longer bolts to drop your skid plate down .

TnDz TJ 01-08-2012 08:39 AM

If you dont want to drop the t-case, you can do a MML to achieve the same result. I started out with 2" BB and had vibes, added a 1" t-case drop and vibes were gone. I then swapped the t-case drop for a 1" MML to gain my clearance back. Only mod I needed was to raise the shroud up for fan clearance... very easy to do with a dremel tool or the like to ream new holes in it.

deepshadow 01-08-2012 08:48 AM

Put a 2.25 with the isolators on my 00 tj and immediately got vibes. I dropped skid and problem solved. I knew it might happen so was prepared to drop and did it immediately after the test drive. I wouldn’t drive it around like that, it only takes a min to drop the skid.

Arch Stanton 01-08-2012 09:34 AM

I have a D44 in the rear of the Jeep and didn't get any vibes. After the install of the Daystar 1.75 BB, mine Jeep seems to be tracking straight and the steering wheel is centered, so I don't know if mine needs an alignment. How do you like the ride now? Did you use the Daystar extended bump tops? If so, did you install them as is or did you shorten them? I'm going to take them off and install bump stop extensions because I can feel them making hard contact with the bottom of the spring perch. Unlimited04 was right about these being hard polyurethane with no give. I contacted Daystar and was told that they have had any problems with their bump stops.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobbit712 (Post 1899769)
I put on a 1.75 Daystar BB the other day. No vibes for me. :thumb:

I guess the consensus is I now need to get an alignment?


MustangWrangler 01-08-2012 10:19 AM

Did you buy a kit or did you get new bolts and washers? How many washers did you use if you went that route?

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepshadow (Post 1899848)
Put a 2.25 with the isolators on my 00 tj and immediately got vibes. I dropped skid and problem solved. I knew it might happen so was prepared to drop and did it immediately after the test drive. I wouldn’t drive it around like that, it only takes a min to drop the skid.


Hobbit712 01-08-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch Stanton (Post 1899938)
I have a D44 in the rear of the Jeep and didn't get any vibes. After the install of the Daystar 1.75 BB, mine Jeep seems to be tracking straight and the steering wheel is centered, so I don't know if mine needs an alignment. How do you like the ride now? Did you use the Daystar extended bump tops? If so, did you install them as is or did you shorten them? I'm going to take them off and install bump stop extensions because I can feel them making hard contact with the bottom of the spring perch. Unlimited04 was right about these being hard polyurethane with no give. I contacted Daystar and was told that they have had any problems with their bump stops.


I did use the extended Daystar bump-stops. I have not had them bottom out yet but I have not been off road since the install. I can see Unlimited's point of view and I have thought about changing them in the future. For now I am going to give them a try. The ride does not seem to have changed. I do need to align the steering wheel but it was off center before the lift

cuder 01-08-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobbit712 (Post 1899769)
I put on a 1.75 Daystar BB the other day. No vibes for me. :thumb:

I guess the consensus is I now need to get an alignment?

Do it yourself, it's not hard to do on our Jeep, if you have a good floor jack and jack stands. Here is a write-up from Stu's site.
TJ Toe-in Alignment - 1

MustangWrangler 01-08-2012 05:23 PM

Dropped it today and put 4 washers in for some space. Seems MUCH better after a spin down the road. I did 3 at first and it still had some vibes. 4 was perfect for mine. Thanks for the input everyone!

Arch Stanton 01-08-2012 10:47 PM

The bump stops on mine must be too long as I can feel them slamming down on the spring perch when going over ruts or pot holes. I'm going to look for some bump stop extensions.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobbit712 (Post 1900213)
I did use the extended Daystar bump-stops. I have not had them bottom out yet but I have not been off road since the install. I can see Unlimited's point of view and I have thought about changing them in the future. For now I am going to give them a try. The ride does not seem to have changed. I do need to align the steering wheel but it was off center before the lift



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.