Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   MLK Weekend Big Bear Run (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/mlk-weekend-big-bear-run-132035.html)

yomondo 01-08-2012 07:44 PM

MLK Weekend Big Bear Run
 
For those of you who didn't catch the discussion that's been going on in another thread, we're planning a Big Bear camping/wheeling shindig over MLK Weekend. We'll be running Gold Mountain both ways, and maybe Jacoby Canyon.

Everyone going must have both front and rear tow points.
Pack a lunch to eat on the trail Sunday.
A CB is strongly recommended. Let's go with CB Channel 12.
If you're camping with us, please bring firewood.

When:
Saturday 1/14/12 through Monday 1/16/12, wheeling on Sunday 1/15/12 10:00am
Come for one or two nights, or just for the day on Sunday.
There are also plans for potluck dinners on both nights. See below.

Camping at Holcomb Valley Campground
34.3015644,-116.8956391

There's no water at this campground, but there are fire rings, picnic tables and vault toilets. Campsites are first come first served (no reservations), but I'm pretty sure because of the cold temps we won't have a problem securing sites. Campsites cost $12 (November-April) and accommodate a maximum of 8 people and 2 vehicles per site.

It's going to be pretty cold at night, so you'll need to be prepared for that. C'mon, let's see who the REAL campers are. :whistling:

Sunday Itinerary:
Those who are going just for the day on Sunday, please meet the rest of us up at Holcomb Valley Campground at 10:00am. We'll air down there, then hit the trail around 10:30am. Since the end of Gold Mountain trail is close to camp, we'll run Gold Mountain backwards, then turn around and come back, probably break for lunch somewhere on the way back. If there's time and willingness after that, maybe we can run all or a portion of Jacoby Canyon out and back since it's close to the end of Gold Mountain.

Weather Forecast as of 1/13/12:
Sat 1/14: Partly Cloudy, 52/20, 10% precip, 16 mph wind
Sun 1/15: Few Showers, 46/20, 30% precip, 10 mph wind
Mon 1/16: Partly Cloudy, 43/14, 10% precip, 8 mph wind

Going:
1. yomondo
2. BeantownR6
3. cashcow1608 - Sunday only, no camping
4. 2DEUCE2 + 1 friend in another vehicle
5. schoonover

Maybe:
1. H2_recoveryteam - Sunday, maybe camp Sunday night

Saturday potluck dinner:
2DEUCE2: beef and veggie / chicken and veggie kabobs
BeantownR6: rice and beans
yomondo: ribeye steak, some chocolates for dessert

Sunday potluck dinner:
BeantownR6: camp stew
yomondo: some kind of pie

Anyone else want to join us?

turdhurdler 01-08-2012 07:49 PM

Would love to go, but have the company "After X-mas" party that weekend. They are putting us up in suites. Last years was pretty fun and intoxicating.:thumb:

Have fun and be safe.

Jeff

yomondo 01-08-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turdhurdler (Post 1901631)
Would love to go, but have the company "After X-mas" party that weekend. They are putting us up in suites. Last years was pretty fun and intoxicating.:thumb:

Have fun and be safe.

Jeff

Nice! Sounds like fun. I'm glad I had a room after my company holiday party, because the booze was free-flowing there too.

When you get to your suite, turn the thermostat down to 16 so you can feel like you're with us.

turdhurdler 01-08-2012 08:04 PM

I would love to turn it down to 16. Not sure the new girl would agree though.

Jeff

BeantownR6 01-08-2012 08:05 PM

im in for either dates. lets get the honey flowing its going to be cold!

H2_recoveryteam 01-08-2012 08:55 PM

Me and my gf may be in for meeting you guys up there on sunday to wheel an possibly camp. And we are equiped to hit possibly honeycomb or gold mountain.

cashcow1608 01-08-2012 09:42 PM

My vote is for option 2. Meet at campground on Sat, wheel on Sun, home on Mon.

2DEUCE2 01-08-2012 10:36 PM

Either date range works for me so I won't put up a fight either way. I'm looking into a zero degree sleeping bag right now... man those damn things are expensive. Does Warren Buffet manufacture them by hand using unicorn fur and gold thread or something?

yomondo 01-08-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2DEUCE2 (Post 1902396)
I'm looking into a zero degree sleeping bag right now... man those damn things are expensive.

The good ones are. You can buy some zero degree sleeping bags for cheap, but it won't compare to a good one. There's actually no set standard for sleeping bag temperature ratings, so they can give them pretty much any rating they want within reason. You can also buy a $25 fleece sleeping bag liner to add about 10 degrees of warmth to any bag. These fleece bags also work well alone for summer camping.

A good, insulating ground pad is also key. Otherwise you loose a lot of body heat to the ground. You could get away with going cheap here if you need to by buying two of the inexpensive $15-$20 roll-up foam pads, and doubling up on them.

I also double up on the thermals for cold weather camping.

2DEUCE2 01-08-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 1902481)
The good ones are. You can buy some zero degree sleeping bags for cheap, but it won't compare to a good one. There's actually no set standard for sleeping bag temperature ratings, so they can give them pretty much any rating they want within reason. You can also buy a $25 fleece sleeping bag liner to add about 10 degrees of warmth to any bag. These fleece bags also work well alone for summer camping.

A good, insulating ground pad is also key. Otherwise you loose a lot of body heat to the ground. You could get away with going cheap here if you need to by buying two of the inexpensive $15-$20 roll-up foam pads, and doubling up on them.

I also double up on the thermals for cold weather camping.

Good to know, thanks. I just got an REI 3.5" self inflating sleeping pad from my dad so I was going to try that out this run since Ellen isn't coming with me this time. She had the option of tent camping in freezing temperatures or sailing in warmer weather on her sisters boat in Marina Del Rey.

MNTNGOAT 01-08-2012 11:56 PM

if i dont work on sunday i would meet u guys up there for holcomb/dishpan if thats the combo u guys end up running.

yomondo 01-09-2012 12:07 AM

First post updated.

BeantownR6 01-09-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 1902481)
The good ones are. You can buy some zero degree sleeping bags for cheap, but it won't compare to a good one. There's actually no set standard for sleeping bag temperature ratings, so they can give them pretty much any rating they want within reason. You can also buy a $25 fleece sleeping bag liner to add about 10 degrees of warmth to any bag. These fleece bags also work well alone for summer camping.

A good, insulating ground pad is also key. Otherwise you loose a lot of body heat to the ground. You could get away with going cheap here if you need to by buying two of the inexpensive $15-$20 roll-up foam pads, and doubling up on them.

I also double up on the thermals for cold weather camping.

i got my zero degree bag at big 5, it worked well at mjt when it snowed, so i guess im gonna find out if its a good one.

and layer up good to, get some polyester base thermals, not cotton, because if you sweat youll get cold.

oh and lots of firewood. last time on gold mountain we were able to find lots of down wood, i filled my jeep, so i will bring a hand saw to cut up logs.

schoonover 01-09-2012 08:29 PM

Im in

yomondo 01-09-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schoonover (Post 1905396)
Im in

Sweet! Got ya added to the list!

BeantownR6 01-09-2012 09:39 PM

excited for the weekend!!

so what do you guys want to do for dinner? frozen burgers? pot luck one night?

yomondo 01-09-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeantownR6 (Post 1905728)
so what do you guys want to do for dinner? frozen burgers? pot luck one night?

I was planning on frying up some ribeye steaks. Want to do burgers one night and steak the next night? Plus whatever sides others want to bring?

On another note, can we decide on which trail(s) we want to do? This will be the first time my Jeep is offroad since the accident, and it still doesn't feel quite the same as it did before, so I'm not sure if it's back to 100%. I almost want to suggest Gold Mtn because of that, since it's a little easier, but I'll go with whatever everyone else wants to do.

BeantownR6 01-09-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 1905922)
I was planning on frying up some ribeye steaks. Want to do burgers one night and steak the next night? Plus whatever sides others want to bring?

On another note, can we decide on which trail(s) we want to do? This will be the first time my Jeep is offroad since the accident, and it still doesn't feel quite the same as it did before, so I'm not sure if it's back to 100%. I almost want to suggest Gold Mtn because of that, since it's a little easier, but I'll go with whatever everyone else wants to do.

im in the same boat as you, been trying to get my jeep to drive the same since the DW. ive triple checked everything, got an alignment and the mechanic also verified my tie rod ends and ball joints are ok, but still getting a little shimmer over bumps. finally got a new steering damper because i hit mine with a rock and it was bent. when i took it off it didn't have much resistance compared to the new one i got. took it for a quick spin i think its back to normal, ill know tomorrow on my way to work....

so whatever trail is fine with me, just glad to be able to get out and do something.

can you message me the recipe for your camp stew? i think ill make some in the crock pot before hand and then i can just heat it up. so maybee ill bring that for the pot luck...

JPi1 01-09-2012 10:46 PM

You guys are killin me! I'm so close to canceling my 18th anniversary plans this weekend so I can show up! That is my kind of trip!

yomondo 01-09-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeantownR6 (Post 1905944)
can you message me the recipe for your camp stew? i think ill make some in the crock pot before hand and then i can just heat it up. so maybee ill bring that for the pot luck...

It's no secret. I can tell you here. The quantities listed are for that huge 10 quart pot I made, so adjust accordingly for our smaller group.

Main Ingredients:
2.5 lbs beef stew meat
carrots, pre-cut, medium size bag
3 potatoes, scrubbed, skin left on
3 tomatoes
2 yellow onions
mushrooms, pre-sliced, 1 small package
3 green bell peppers
2 cabbage heads

Seasoning:
beef bouillon or substitute
meat seasoning salt
garlic salt
ground pepper
cayenne pepper

Other:
corn starch

- Brown the meat in pot or pan.
- Boil about 1 quart of water.
- Add meat, boiling water and some seasoning (I don't know how much, just enough to get some flavoring infused into the meat) to pot
- Simmer meat until somewhat tender. Add more boiling water as necessary to keep meat covered in water.
- While meat is simmering, boil 1-2 more quarts of water, and chop all the veggies.
- When meat is somewhat tender, add all the veggies, and add enough boiling water to cover the veggies.
- Simmer until veggies are soft.
- Season to taste.
- Pour a few ounces of boiling water into a cup or bowl, pour in some corn starch and stir until dissolved. Add enough corn starch to make a thin paste. Add the paste to the stew and mix it in. Repeat until the stew has reached the desired thickness.

2DEUCE2 01-09-2012 11:06 PM

I was thinking of making up some beef and veggie / chicken and veggie kabobs for the grill. We can do that up on night #1 if you guys want to. I might have to borrow more grill space for them though. My camping grill isn't really sufficent for hosting a BBQ.

I am still waiting for final word from my other two friends, I doubt they will stay for two nights. I am hoping for one night, but for now I am at least counting them in for the run.

yomondo 01-09-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPi1 (Post 1905999)
You guys are killin me! I'm so close to canceling my 18th anniversary plans this weekend so I can show up! That is my kind of trip!

There's gonna be some good grub and intoxicating libations for sure. Of course y'all are welcome to join us.

2DEUCE2 01-09-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPi1 (Post 1905999)
You guys are killin me! I'm so close to canceling my 18th anniversary plans this weekend so I can show up! That is my kind of trip!

You just have to sell it right. "But honey, doesn't a weekend in Big Bear sound romantic?" :whistling:

Then when you see us, just act surprised. "Woah, I didn't know you guys would be up here! What a small world!"

JPi1 01-09-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2DEUCE2

You just have to sell it right. "But honey, doesn't a weekend in Big Bear sound romantic?" :whistling:

Then when you see us, just act surprised. "Woah, I didn't know you guys would be up here! What a small world!"

Great idea, I should've said that before I made plans! Trust me, if plans change, I'll be pullin in!

yomondo 01-09-2012 11:19 PM

So if it's okay with everyone, I think I'll finalize the dates as Saturday through Monday, wheeling on Sunday.

Anyone else want to chime in on which trail(s) to do? Aside from MNTNGOAT, who already voted for Dishpan/Holcomb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2DEUCE2 (Post 1906073)
I was thinking of making up some beef and veggie / chicken and veggie kabobs for the grill. We can do that up on night #1 if you guys want to. I might have to borrow more grill space for them though. My camping grill isn't really sufficent for hosting a BBQ.

That sounds great. I won't be needing the grill, but Beantown probably will.

yomondo 01-09-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPi1 (Post 1906101)
Great idea, I should've said that before I made plans! Trust me, if plans change, I'll be pullin in!

You could always make better anniversary plans for another weekend as an excuse for rescheduling it.

H2_recoveryteam 01-09-2012 11:44 PM

If we can make it. Ive hit gold mt. Before with one tug and throwing rocks. I dont know much about holecomb but if my rig can make it im down to try it.

yomondo 01-09-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H2_recoveryteam (Post 1906154)
If we can make it. Ive hit gold mt. Before with one tug and throwing rocks. I dont know much about holecomb but if my rig can make it im down to try it.

Holcomb's supposed to be tougher, but personally I haven't run either one so I can't really say. When I called the Discovery Center they said that Holcomb is icy in spots, and that they had to recover a couple of vehicles from Holcomb recently.

JPi1 01-10-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo

You could always make better anniversary plans for another weekend as an excuse for rescheduling it.

That's the best idea yet, I might try that one!

yomondo 01-10-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPi1 (Post 1906191)
That's the best idea yet, I might try that one!

It's a win-win. I've got 18 years under my belt too, and I've learned a few tricks along the way. :cool:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.