Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Paging Dr. Bransford.... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/paging-dr-bransford-132038.html)

Vroooom 01-08-2012 07:48 PM

Paging Dr. Bransford....

Jerry, I need to pick your brain on an odd-ball question....
Last week I traded my suburban and my TJ on a 2012 Sahara Unlimited.
So far I'm loving it.
Some time ago I had installed a bolt-on hidden hitch receiver from ebay on the on the front frame of myTJ. The receiver rested just above the stock bumper and i used it for maneuvering trailers, etc....nothing elaborate...easy rolling lead on smooth concrete, no more than 200'....it did perfectly.
I cannot find an "ABOVE the bumper" receiver for the front of the new one.
I an find bolt-on front receivers than hang BELOW the bumper, but I am concerned that the receiver might hang too low and interfere with approach angles.
Which leaves me with getting creative, which is fun...but can prove dangerous.
Since I am dealing with easy loads in easy environments, I was pondering the possibilities of simply bolting this
3500 Lb. Capacity Step Bumper Receiver
To the top of my bumper above the license plate.
Seems simple enough.
But I'm legendary for being able to screw-up even the simplest of things.
My question for you (finally getting to the point of all this)....
Since it isn't mounted to the frame rails and would actually be mounted to the top of the bumper....do I run the risk of triggering my airbags???
I'm moving delicate stuff, so I'm pretty gentle, but if it ain't worth deploying my bags.....I'll just design something more complicated that does mount to the frame rails just behind the bumper.
Thoughts, concerns, recommendations?
Thanks for your insight.

Vroooom 01-08-2012 08:44 PM

Anything?
Anybody?
Y'all don't be shy...speak-up
:)

HarryJeepGuy 01-08-2012 09:08 PM

Maybe you should try the JK part of the forum to find out what triggers the airbags on those minivans. Mounting it there wouldn't bother a TJ, but no idea what triggers the bags on a new one, or if the bumper could handle it.

Mad Max 04 01-08-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryJeepGuy
Maybe you should try the JK part of the forum to find out what triggers the airbags on those minivans. Mounting it there wouldn't bother a TJ, but no idea what triggers the bags on a new one, or if the bumper could handle it.

Haha minivans

DevilDogDoc 01-08-2012 09:22 PM

When wishing to speak to somebody specific you can always click the PM button and the rest of us that are not worthy to answer your question dont have to see it......

Vroooom 01-08-2012 09:23 PM

I figured this would turn into a hate'n fest. I was just hoping Jerry would see it in time to chime in before it degenerated too badly.

I posted here...because this is where Jerry has been helpful to me in the past.

Mad Max 04 01-08-2012 09:26 PM

Yea pm him, he's normally quicker that way than to wait for him to see the thread.

Vroooom 01-08-2012 09:54 PM

I would if I could figure out how to pm

Mad Max 04 01-08-2012 09:57 PM

I know on my iPhone I just found a thread he was in clicked his pic and at the very bottom it says send private message.

Vroooom 01-08-2012 10:00 PM

Thx MAX
I'll send him a pm.

You have a great looking rig.

Mad Max 04 01-08-2012 10:03 PM

Anytime that's what everyone's here for. We might pick on each other about our rides but in the end it's all in good fun cause no matter what it's a jeep. Haha and thank ya

MikeMTJ 01-08-2012 10:10 PM

I think you'd have to push the trailer pretty freakin' hard to trigger the airbags. Could be wrong though.

Glad you're enjoying your new 2012.

Vroooom 01-08-2012 10:19 PM

I think so too.....but I'd hate to make a $2000 assumption :)

Max, im planning to get rid of my stock 18" wheels and tires and go for something less "city-slickerish" I like your 15" black steels, what brand?

I'm also considering coopers to replace my Bridgestones. I had coopers on my suburban and loved em.

I'm moving to Seattle soon. How do you like your coopers on wet pavement?

GoldenSahara00 01-08-2012 10:20 PM

Why don't you just buy a tractor or something. :rofl: in the time it takes to answer this question I could have moved whatever you wanted moved for a lot less money. Maybe you should just rent me?

Anyways if this thing your talking about bolts down thought the bumper, into the frame then I don't see how it would be a problem. I'll take a better look.

GoldenSahara00 01-08-2012 10:22 PM

Why don't you buy a piece of steel plate and mount the above to it. Space it up about a 1/2 inch with washers or spacers and bolt into the frame. That way you can fit a nut between the plate and bumper and bolt the receiver to that. Or I'd your handy with a welder it would be a quick job. That's why I would do at least. Prob get a piece of steel for 20~30 bucks.

Ibuildembig 01-08-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc (Post 1902116)
When wishing to speak to somebody specific you can always click the PM button and the rest of us that are not worthy to answer your question dont have to see it......

Dr Doolittle rules:punk:

Vroooom 01-08-2012 10:26 PM

Hmmmm....
$1000 for a tractor.
$18 for a hitch...
...to fit on a JEEP...
.......which can do so much...
Already.

Let me contemplate this a bit.

:)

spy 01-08-2012 10:34 PM

Come on guys he came to the TJ forum its where he feels comfortable and where he knows he will get "Experienced information from experienced jeepers =)"
Thats why he didn't post in the JK forum hehe

Vroooom 01-08-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spy (Post 1902382)
Come on guys he came to the TJ forum its where he feels comfortable and where he knows he will get "Experienced information from experienced jeepers =)"
Thats why he didn't post in the JK forum hehe

Something like that.

spy 01-09-2012 12:09 AM

My question would be how much weight do you plan on moving, is it a trailer? is it going to be on a roadway where you could put other people in danger if your load gives out?

Or is this just for like a bike or something?

I would try to get something that bolted to the frame or something with better support because if its anything like a tj bumper its going to bend if you put to much weight on it. Is there a rear air bag sensor located in the middle of the rear bumper? I can see if the bumper bowed out it may set it off? I am personally only familiar with the TJ platform, The JK is a whole new animal to me. Would you consider a new bumper? Westin Part 42-3015 - Trailblazer Series Rear Bumper by Westin for Jeep

Just keep in mind that you payed how much for the 2012jk ? Don't skimp on what you need, and I hope someone else chimes in instead of bashing you for owning a "Jeep" Its not like he has a tracker or something lol. Remember everyone we all love and own jeeps! =)
"If you don't wave than disregard this" lol!

gixxerphil 01-09-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spy (Post 1902671)
My question would be how much weight do you plan on moving, is it a trailer? is it going to be on a roadway where you could put other people in danger if your load gives out?

Or is this just for like a bike or something?

I would try to get something that bolted to the frame or something with better support because if its anything like a tj bumper its going to bend if you put to much weight on it. Is there a rear air bag sensor located in the middle of the rear bumper? I can see if the bumper bowed out it may set it off? I am personally only familiar with the TJ platform, The JK is a whole new animal to me. Would you consider a new bumper? Westin Part 42-3015 - Trailblazer Series Rear Bumper by Westin for Jeep

Just keep in mind that you payed how much for the 2012jk ? Don't skimp on what you need, and I hope someone else chimes in instead of bashing you for owning a "Jeep" Its not like he has a tracker or something lol. Remember everyone we all love and own jeeps! =)
"If you don't wave than disregard this" lol!

I believe he wants a front mounted hitch

spy 01-09-2012 12:20 AM

:facepalm: thanks! :whistling: haha

Vroooom 01-09-2012 12:27 AM

Yup. Front hitch.
I use it as a tug to move an airplane into and out of the hangar.
Not MY plane. I'm just the pilot.
Like I said...easy-rolling load....200' tops....never more than 5mph usually closer to 1-2mph.
It light enough that I can almost push it by hand.....but as I said, I'm a pilot....and that means I'm inherently "energy conservative"

(some folks translate that as "lazy")

;)

H2_recoveryteam 01-09-2012 01:02 AM

Most airbags work on the computer monitoring sensors such as Accelerometers that detect sudden stops. And impact sensors. So with light weight and low speeds I would say what you linked could work fine.

Mad Max 04 01-09-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ-Newbie
I think so too.....but I'd hate to make a $2000 assumption :)

Max, im planning to get rid of my stock 18" wheels and tires and go for something less "city-slickerish" I like your 15" black steels, what brand?

I'm also considering coopers to replace my Bridgestones. I had coopers on my suburban and loved em.

I'm moving to Seattle soon. How do you like your coopers on wet pavement?

They are pacer 15x10 they look good but I want to go to a smaller alloy like 15x7

And I LOVED the coopers they were great but I had to get some a/t when my coopers went bald. I have to do to much driving right now to afford mud tires.

SirGeorgeKillian 01-09-2012 07:23 AM

We used to use 4 wheelers, and there was a crazy redneck that pulled his plane around with a craftsman riding lawnmower.....

UnlimitedLJ04 01-09-2012 08:16 AM

were you only looking for jerry's opinion? or will someone else's opinion suffice?

Vroooom 01-09-2012 08:41 AM

See post #2. :)
All opinions and advice is welcome and taken into consideration.

UnlimitedLJ04 01-09-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ-Newbie (Post 1903242)
See post #2. :)
All opinions and advice is welcome and taken into consideration.

ok, then. the reason you can't find an over the top hitch for your JK, like the TJ, is because the mounting points are totally different. the TJ has the tow hooks mounted on the top of the frame, which is where your old TJ hitch attached. Now, with the JK this isn't possible because the tow points are mounted on the front face, with no lateral support between the frame rails.

See the mounting points are on the front face:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6157686_n.jpg

You can also see there why bolting that HF hitch to the sheet metal & plastic front bumper is not going to hold - theres absolutely no support.

Hanging the receiver under the frame is just fine, and you're overly worried about the approach angle thing. If you're hitting it you probably need more lift & bigger tires anyway. But just in case, slide one of these in place when not in use:
http://www.etrailer.com/merchant2/gr...31007_1000.jpg

Vroooom 01-09-2012 09:06 AM

Excellent points, LJ04.
Thank you for the look behind the plastic.
All very helpful.