Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Another clutch problem (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/another-clutch-problem-132902.html)

jakethejake 01-13-2012 02:43 PM

Another clutch problem

Hey guys recently (and finally) purchased a 92 YJ S. 2.5 I4 5spd. Great shape, just a few miscellaneous problems here and there. I have done some searching and im thinking I need to just bleed the system. This is MY first standard shift vehicle. Been riding motorcycles and dirt bikes my whole life. No idea how a hydro clutch works. I assume its identical to bleeding brakes, but I dont have damn clue as to where the bleeder is on the jeep. Any help finding it would be awesome. I have pretty solid mech. skills, just not much when it comes to car clutches.

Jeffro Martin Jackson 01-13-2012 03:56 PM

same as breaks....but i think your slave cyclinder is actually inside of the bellhousing so idno how much a pain in the ass it will be.....but basically you would fill resivor n pump clutch ...then release the pressure on the slave cylinder. Repeat till fluid comes out of slave. Keep eye on resivor and keep topping it off. youll actually feel when cluch is being engaved through the pedal then i would repaet process another time or two to make sure line is full n no air in it.

jakethejake 01-13-2012 03:59 PM

Yea, im with ya on that but there's no bleeder screw anywhere but in the damn bell?

Jeffro Martin Jackson 01-13-2012 04:06 PM

yea ur slaves internal. Maybe someone with knowledge of your setup will come along. Mines external.....damn dude that sucks....something SO simple is turned into a project....I think your have to remove your tranny but dont take my word for it.

jakethejake 01-13-2012 04:11 PM

sonofabeach. Its sitting in the parking lot at work, 20 min drive back home to the warm garage-Through downtown traffic, with no clutch.

Jeffro Martin Jackson 01-13-2012 04:16 PM

get some fluid n go top it off n pump the heck outa it. might get some sign of life after like 100 pumps.

rogerf1970 01-13-2012 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
what makes you think you need to bleed your system.. a working hydraulic system does not need bleeding unless you have a leak. never the less
If your slave is inside the bell housing then you will have a metal hydraulic line going in and 1 coming out, the 1 coming out will have a bleeder on the end.. below is a pic that should be close to what your looking for...

my process of bleeding a clutch is... fill master, pump for a min, hold,bleed,pump,hold,bleed,FILL Master... repeat..

Attachment 89591

jakethejake 01-13-2012 09:06 PM

OK, so if there WERE to be a leak somehow....where are some common areas the ax-5 can leak from?

Also, it did seem to start really feeling the most noticeably light was right after i sprayed the motor off after taking it in some nasty mud last weekend.

Also.....i went nose first into a hole in the trail that had about 2" of ice on top, and it stalled the jeep. I basically plowed into a hole a total of probably 3-4' deep: 1-2 in really soft but thick mud and then another 2' of water, with the ice on top. is it possible something could have gotten knocked loose by the plunge, and then finally gave out the night i sprayed everything down?

jakethejake 01-13-2012 09:10 PM

also, again, bear with me on the car clutch questions. where is the slave cylinder at? I assume near the back of the tranny? (and for someone with a whole MESS of patience...what does the slave do, and vs the master cylinder?

YJPunisher213 01-14-2012 06:03 PM

Slave cylinder slides over the main shaft that goes into the engine. The slave moves the throw out bearing until the high-friction material on the transmission's clutch disengages from the engine's flywheel.