Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Playin it straight... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/playin-it-straight-133130.html)

ORNGCR8 01-14-2012 06:17 PM

Playin it straight...

Keeping it real. I LOVE my Jeep as a DD that can do just about anything with 4 drs and go anywhere as a 4x4. Now, onto reality. Being honest, I may only see the occasional trail every now and then, and I plan to take it on the beach but only in the Summer. That said, what "lift" mod and other mods (if any) do you feel suits it best? I'm thinking:

On board air for beach air downs/getting back on the road

Suspension lift only of about 2", not a full body lift - recommendations for best quality? Tired of mall crawler stock look.

33s prob GY dtracs once the stock Bridgestones are worn--seems to be the best all around tire for DD use

Surf rod holder on front bumper

Anything else?

4fit 01-14-2012 06:32 PM

Well, you don't really "need" anything to do what you are wanting to do. But, since you asked, I would probably go with a simple Teraflex leveling kit or AEV 2" spacer lift and the 33" Duratracs. As for OBA, it would certainly come in handy. But, a simple portable solution could work also.

ORNGCR8 01-14-2012 06:42 PM

That's exactly it 4fit. I don't "need" anything. In fact, most of us Jeepers don't "need" a lot of the mods considering many of us are DD commuters. Kinda silly seeing winches, snorkels, etc etc on Jeeps that've never even stepped foot off road! That said, there's something to be said for having a rig to call your own and I like the lifted look with bigger, more aggressive wheels and tires (who doesn't?!) figuring since $ is tight, I want a few simple mods that are worthwhile.

I also like the tough look of the MBRP bull bar added to the stock bumper and the stubby conversion kit. If $ was no object, I'd love the AEV bumpers!!

kbwwolf 01-14-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORNGCR8 (Post 1921410)
I'm thinking:
On board air for beach air downs/getting back on the road
Suspension lift only of about 2", not a full body lift - recommendations for best quality? Tired of mall crawler stock look.
33s prob GY dtracs once the stock Bridgestones are worn--seems to be the best all around tire for DD use
Surf rod holder on front bumper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORNGCR8 (Post 1921488)
I also like the tough look of the MBRP bull bar added to the stock bumper and the stubby conversion kit. If $ was no object, I'd love the AEV bumpers!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit (Post 1921452)
I would probably go with a simple Teraflex leveling kit or AEV 2" spacer lift and the 33" Duratracs. As for OBA, it would certainly come in handy. But, a simple portable solution could work also.

^^^Good advice. The TF or the AEV are both good products, and the DuraTracs rock.

Another option for getting a lift cheaply is buying a set of Rubicon springs (either used from CL or wherever, or new from Mopar...$159) that are 19's (strength) in front and 60's in rear. Here's a link that better explains it. Read posts #4 and #8.

lift kit help

Depending on the strength of your current springs, you could end up with 1-2" of lift without having to buy anything else. Pretty sweet, when you're on a budget.

A good way to mod your stock bumper and make it look MUCH better is to install a stubby bumper kit. A member named gluestick did it recently...here's a thread showing what he did.

Rough Country Stubby Kit with MBRP Light Bar

sneck 01-14-2012 09:48 PM

i think for what you need the lift for, the old man emu lift is perfect. the ride is amazing, and it does well offroad too. sure its not the cheapest, but the ride improvement is worth every penny. in terms of OBA, check out amazon.com for the mf 1050. i got one for xmas, it rocks. quickly fills my rubi take offs from 10 psi to 35 with ease.

also, im slowly working on getting rid of my old man emu kit (for a 4d, standard springs) just because I'm swapping to something bigger. if youre interested, make me an offer (less then 5k miles on it)