Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Top fitament across model years (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/top-fitament-across-model-years-133212.html)

gluestick 01-15-2012 07:52 AM

Top fitament across model years

I have a question about tops. I am talking to a guy about trading his '11 soft top for my '08 hard top. I believe I have read that the soft tops are fully compatiple across the model years so long as you get the surround/header kit that came with the top, however I thought I had also read abut fitment issues with the "older" hard tops and newer models, based on the "D" shaped clips on the top of the inside of the windshield being different. I don't want to waste my time or his and need to seek help from the experts. Do I have this all squirreled up? :crazy:

Thanks

cavsvet74 01-15-2012 08:17 AM

There was a change to the way the tops attached to the windshield. I don't remember what year that occurred.

You can attach the freedom panels of the hard top without the rest of the hard top needing to be installed. There is a flip down "foot" on the back of each panel that rests on the sound bar for when the full top is not on the Jeep.

Meet up with your buddy and see if the panels will fit on his Jeep. That should be a good indication if the swap will work.

gluestick 01-15-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavsvet74 (Post 1922821)
There was a change to the way the tops attached to the windshield. I don't remember what year that occurred.

You can attach the freedom panels of the hard top without the rest of the hard top needing to be installed. There is a flip down "foot" on the back of each panel that rests on the sound bar for when the full top is not on the Jeep.

Meet up with your buddy and see if the panels will fit on his Jeep. That should be a good indication if the swap will work.

My "buddy" lives 3 hours away, so it won't be a casual visit the first and last time we meet. My only real Jeep buddy drives an '07 2 door...

jkaufman_95 01-15-2012 08:26 AM

The hinges in the front of the 11/12's is different, but idk if it works or doesn't work with older models, the 11/12 are way different inside (nicer), kinda like I doubt the doors are compatible

cavsvet74 01-15-2012 08:29 AM

Sorry Gluestick, I don't know why I assumed you knew this guy. Do you know anyone with a 2010, 11 or 12 Wrangler you can try this with?

Or, wait for somebody who really knows what they're talking about to answer.

jkaufman_95 01-15-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavsvet74

Or, wait for somebody who really knows what they're talking about to answer.

I'm just here to up my post count :rofl: :rofl:

gluestick 01-15-2012 08:45 AM

I thought I had read that '09 or '10 and newer have an additional clip on the top middle by the windshield to help keep it quiet and water tight, but was not essential to fit the top. If the deal goes through, we would meet and swap tops on the spot. I would hate to waste an afternoon to find out we are wasting our time and then put everyone's top back on :speechless-smiley:

cavsvet74 01-15-2012 08:49 AM

I hear ya. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

As a side note, your hard top is worth a lot more than his soft top.

gluestick 01-15-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavsvet74 (Post 1922899)

As a side note, your hard top is worth a lot more than his soft top.

He is offering me his top (2 months old) plus $400. I was thinking more like $600. There is nothing wrong at all with my top and it is perfectly leak free. Does this sound reasonable? I just got this crazy idea the other day and don't know what used hard tops are going for nowadays.

Thanks

CorvusCorax 01-15-2012 09:51 AM

I have a hardtop off a 2007 on my 2011...it fits fine with no leaks other than the passenger side door which leaks with the soft top on also.

cavsvet74 01-15-2012 10:10 AM

Just an fyi, Quadratec has new Mopar soft top for around $1500. Hard top is around $2300, new Mopar also.
I can't say what used are going for, I haven't been in the market.
I hope this works out for you. Good luck.:thumb: