Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2012 Wrangler Noise/Vibration DIY Fix Found (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2012-wrangler-noise-vibration-diy-fix-found-133387.html)

Rich331MX 01-15-2012 10:24 PM

2012 Wrangler Noise/Vibration DIY Fix Found

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

Wanted to save others from the same headaches I've gone through on a problem that is popping up slowly but steadily across the net. For some people (obviously myself included), a loud noise/vibration is heard from the center console area in/behind the dash near the shifter, when the truck, and ambient air are cold, from 1200-1500 rpms. It gets louder as you put more load on the engine and goes away once the truck is up to full operating temperature.

After months of digging, reading, and experimenting, I was finally able to solve the gremlin this morning, after reading about some else's similar problem (thanks Oatmountain Al !) and how he had to let the dealer tear his new dash apart to make the noise go away. I wanted to share how I achieved silence without ripping the dash or heater core out.

It seems the noise/vibration comes from the two aluminum heater lines that enter the cabin through the firewall, where they go from rubber in the engine bay to aluminum line once in the cabin. They run very close to each other. My suspicion is that when cold, they are shrunk and thus close enough that they do not normally touch (as I found by running cardstock between them); they are however close enough to vibrate against one another under load (1200-1500 rpm). I believe when the motor heats up, the tubes expand and fit tighter in the plastic line holder or press against each other enough so they touch tightly and don't vibrate. My fix was to remove the glovebox, slice a piece of heater hose (bought at any autoparts store) and slide it between the two tubes, up towards the top right where they make a sharp 90 degree bend. This has worked and I repeated it by removing and re-installing (I also re-tested tonight at a brisk 29 degrees and once again had silence for the first time since it got cold it September). See pics below (note, I later added a zip-tie below the hose to keep it from sliding down). Good luck, and enjoy your 12's, I hope this saves a lot of other people from some major headaches and dash vibrations. I'm glad I found a DIY fix for it instead of bringing it in for a major teardown at the dealer. Happy Wheelin-

-Rich

kjeeper10 01-15-2012 10:29 PM

Interesting :thumb:

Up Hill Bill 01-15-2012 11:26 PM

Thanks Rich, good info. Picture's a big help! :thumb:

kbwwolf 01-15-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1925196)
Interesting :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 1925391)
Thanks Rich, good info. Picture's a big help! :thumb:

x3

Good tip. Thanks.

Overtrained 01-15-2012 11:41 PM

Havent noticed that noise on mine but still a great tip if need be!:thumb:

jdettor 01-16-2012 05:51 PM

Wow. great stuff. Mine does the same.

Ballandchain 01-16-2012 05:53 PM

Thanks, now I know what to look for in case this happens with mine.

Terex 01-16-2012 07:20 PM

Thanks for posting! Posts like yours are what's great about this forum.

Mudfly 01-16-2012 08:14 PM

You the man!

That noise has been driving me crazy! Exact symptoms as yours. Will be applying your fix tomorrow.
Thanks

mathjak 01-18-2012 04:35 PM

bingo!.. the heater tubing turned out to be the source of the buzzing when cold.....

seanpholman 01-18-2012 10:21 PM

I have the same noise. Guess what I am doing tomorrow.

--Sean

sarath 01-18-2012 11:44 PM

interesting ..not 'yet' on mine..keeping fingers crossed! Thanks!

Rich331MX 01-19-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanpholman (Post 1936343)
I have the same noise. Guess what I am doing tomorrow.

--Sean

Sean, hopefully it stops the noise in it's tracks; I shared this with a few of my buddies who also had the same issue and it worked for them too...keep me posted...

-Rich

MLPeep 01-19-2012 07:52 AM

Thank You! I've been all over mine, 'thumping' stuff to try and recreate that intermittent buzz. Now I'll get it fixed this weekend.

harley JKU 01-19-2012 08:24 AM

Same noise here also. Thanks for the info !!! :thumb:

strider_mt2k 01-19-2012 08:29 AM

This is something I'm experiencing!
I will be checking this fix out this weekend, THANK YOU!

It is a minor annoyance, great to have a fix figured out that we can do ourselves.

Garrwing84 01-19-2012 08:45 AM

Oh man I was thinking maybe that's just how my 2012 was supposed to be..(first jeep). I couldn't find the source, I was trying hold different things down while driving haha. Thanks for the info and the fix!

demarpaint 01-19-2012 09:06 AM

I'll pass that tip along to a friend with a 2012 complaining of a similar noise.

Dick Blonov 01-22-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich331MX (Post 1925179)
Hey guys,

Wanted to save others from the same headaches

-Rich

Thank you Sir! I had the same problem combined with a rattling cowl.

Your 2 minute fix got rid of the last bit!

:thumb:

DB

Mr. Fish 01-22-2012 07:22 PM

I took mine into the dealer to fix this issue a couple months ago. After 3 days of poking around, their fix was to ziptie the two pipes more closely together outside the firewall. This has the similar effect of spreading the pipes further apart inside the vehicle. I still get a vibration when the temp is very low, so might apply your rubber bumper idea inside as well. Thanks!

NoC 01-22-2012 11:00 PM

No noise here but great info..thanks

MLPeep 01-23-2012 06:19 AM

Follow-up: 10 min. fix (and I'm OCD). The picture was a big help.

I was thinking about the folks complaining about manual transmission noise. While I never thought transmission -- I've heard transmission noise -- I did suspect something going on with the linkage.

I sure hope nobody's overzealous dealer tore into the gearbox on a new Jeep upon hearing complaints of "transmission noise", only to send it home with the same noise. This one.

Red Sector A 01-23-2012 07:12 AM

Great info. I noticed a noise similar to this after the first non-garaged night outside in the teens. I'll be looking into this fix

schirmyver 01-23-2012 11:38 AM

Thank you. I just picked up my new '12 Wrangler and the rattle was driving me crazy. It was warmer when I went for the test drive so did not hear it but then a couple days later it started up. Not something I was happy about with less than 300 miles on the truck.

I will dig into this later this week and hopefully the noise will be gone.

OatmountainAl 01-24-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Hey guys,

Wanted to save others from the same headaches I've gone through on a problem that is popping up slowly but steadily across the net. For some people (obviously myself included), a loud noise/vibration is heard from the center console area in/behind the dash near the shifter, when the truck, and ambient air are cold, from 1200-1500 rpms. It gets louder as you put more load on the engine and goes away once the truck is up to full operating temperature.

After months of digging, reading, and experimenting, I was finally able to solve the gremlin this morning, after reading about some else's similar problem (thanks Oatmountain Al !) and how he had to let the dealer tear his new dash apart to make the noise go away. I wanted to share how I achieved silence without ripping the dash or heater core out.

It seems the noise/vibration comes from the two aluminum heater lines that enter the cabin through the firewall, where they go from rubber in the engine bay to aluminum line once in the cabin. They run very close to each other. My suspicion is that when cold, they are shrunk and thus close enough that they do not normally touch (as I found by running cardstock between them); they are however close enough to vibrate against one another under load (1200-1500 rpm). I believe when the motor heats up, the tubes expand and fit tighter in the plastic line holder or press against each other enough so they touch tightly and don't vibrate. My fix was to remove the glovebox, slice a piece of heater hose (bought at any autoparts store) and slide it between the two tubes, up towards the top right where they make a sharp 90 degree bend. This has worked and I repeated it by removing and re-installing (I also re-tested tonight at a brisk 29 degrees and once again had silence for the first time since it got cold it September). See pics below (note, I later added a zip-tie below the hose to keep it from sliding down). Good luck, and enjoy your 12's, I hope this saves a lot of other people from some major headaches and dash vibrations. I'm glad I found a DIY fix for it instead of bringing it in for a major teardown at the dealer. Happy Wheelin-

-Rich

I was thinking my 2012 Sport was the only one off the production line with that rattle/vibration, since it seemed no one else had the problem. Thanks for the "thanks" Rich331MX glad my reported fix was helpful. Now I know I wasn't the only one with the problem. You found your own fix without tearing out the dash and center console saving dealers and Jeepers major time and trouble. This Forum is awesome. Thanks again for sharing Rich.

sunnykk 01-24-2012 01:04 PM

Great info. Thanks. I haven't paid much attention to it yet but will try and listen from now on and fix it if it happens.

Dozer Don 01-26-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Hey guys,

-Rich

I had a rattle behind the dashboard (I thought), brought the Jeep into the dealership and they found under the dashboard above your right leg the heater vent assembly was loose. He tightened it and wrapped around it a rubber pad to dampen any potential rattling. It stopped for a week and then came back. I opened up the lower panel and drove. It wasn't rattling down there. The noise came from the driver side sunvisor. I didn't have it pushed into the slot. I do that to move it the the left when the suns in my left window. Once I snapped it in the rattle stopped. Everyone said it was under the dash. It sounded like it was. But the noise was actually up in the visor!

hokie_tarheel 01-27-2012 12:53 PM

You're the man Rich!!! I've had this problem since I drove off the lot and nobody could figure it out. Until now, that is. I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly! Thank you kind sir.

Al Nebular 01-28-2012 10:54 AM

Thanks Rich. I have the same noise, but not for long.

seanpholman 01-28-2012 12:13 PM

Seems to have fixed mine...

--Sean