Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   So much to do so little money (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/so-much-to-do-so-little-money-133588.html)

bstoner 01-16-2012 08:26 PM

So much to do so little money

Ok guys and gals, i have waited 38 years to get my first jeep. its a 95 yj 4banger 5sp. I have allways wanted one just never had the right time. Now i got one, picked it up for 800.00 and its in as good a shape as some i have seen for 3000.00. I just want some help with stuff and opinions. I have a 2.5" shakle kit for it, i have removed the flares and plan on triming the fenders. How much tire can i run? I also want more power and would love to stay mopar with like a 318 or 360 but do i have to run a adaptor plate with a ax15 trans that i plan on buying and why we are on the ax15 i have a ax5 in it what will work from it for the ax15 or what all will i have to have. Also with the small lift do i need a slip yoke kit and if so will some please tell me y. This is just a short list im sure i will have more questions later as the projects progresses.

bstoner 01-16-2012 08:42 PM

looking for help

come on guys looking for help

BDK 01-16-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstoner (Post 1928544)
Ok guys and gals, i have waited 38 years to get my first jeep. its a 95 yj 4banger 5sp. I have allways wanted one just never had the right time. Now i got one, picked it up for 800.00 and its in as good a shape as some i have seen for 3000.00. I just want some help with stuff and opinions. I have a 2.5" shakle kit for it, i have removed the flares and plan on triming the fenders. How much tire can i run? I also want more power and would love to stay mopar with like a 318 or 360 but do i have to run a adaptor plate with a ax15 trans that i plan on buying and why we are on the ax15 i have a ax5 in it what will work from it for the ax15 or what all will i have to have. Also with the small lift do i need a slip yoke kit and if so will some please tell me y. This is just a short list im sure i will have more questions later as the projects progresses.

Depending on how much you trim 33". I run 31" on stock height but have no flares on it. From what I have read if you don't even need a SYE kit. Your best bet to run a Mopar V8 is to just find a Ram or Dakota with a 5spd and snag the engine and tranny (Don't forget the computer and wiring harness!)

$800 is a killer price for a Jeep even if its a 4banger! Oh and pictures or it never happened!

billytheyj 01-17-2012 03:11 AM

Nah no need for slip yoke with a small lift or even some people run 5-6" lifts with out a slip yoke eliminator. Just may need a tc drop. Now to go v8 a dakota would be great because I believe they ran ax15s also. If you're just looking for running 33s then I say small lift some triming and a regear. It will do plenty with that 4 banger!

Nubby55 01-17-2012 07:58 AM

If you go with a 318 or 360 you should not need to re-gear, 4.10s and a good V8 on 33s would be sweet.

bstoner 01-17-2012 06:05 PM

thanks guys, i hate to sound so stupid about this stuff but im a drag racer at heart and really want the v8 rumble!!! What do yall think bout a 5.0 ford conversion or 350, or lt1 conversion?

alcapon1 01-17-2012 09:14 PM

anything past 4 inches = slip yoke eliminator and CV. I even dropped my transfer case 2 inches with a +4 and still got wobbles, put in the slip and all good and 95% stronger, it is not easy to put it in though.

billytheyj 01-17-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcapon1
anything past 4 inches = slip yoke eliminator and CV. I even dropped my transfer case 2 inches with a +4 and still got wobbles, put in the slip and all good and 95% stronger, it is not easy to put it in though.

Other would disagree I ran a 4" for a long time with out a sye.

I wish I could find an the article but I know the ford 5.0 is more uncommon but was discussed as a good swap.

Actually I believe novak adapters have bolt on engine mount adapters for the 4banger engine to a mustang 5.0.