Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   JK vs TJ (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/jk-vs-tj-133671.html)

Savage1979 01-17-2012 07:59 AM

JK vs TJ

Does it seem the JK comes stock with a higher lift and rim/tires than the TJ? Also, do the two have Comparable off road capablities in stock form?

06GoldenEagle 01-17-2012 08:15 AM

JKs come with taller tires and larger rims for sure. not sure if the lift is any higher. both should have relatively the same off road capability if both are trail rated models

TJWenatchee 01-17-2012 08:17 AM

I would agree.

Vroooom 01-17-2012 08:29 AM

This topic is gonna stir-up a s---storm of arguments cuz lots of folks cant simply state an opinion and leave it at that. They gotta be "right" and try to sway others into being "right" with them.

I do not have that afliction. I can give my opinion, knowing that many will disagree vehemently. Thats ok with me.

Ive had both....TJ and a new JKu.

I think the TJ is a better JEEP in the classic sense of the word. It is more basic and more capable in terms of off-road maneuverability (shorter, narrower, better HP to Weight ratio).

I think the JK is the better JEEP in the revised sense of the word....do almost anything, almost anywhere, almost anytime.....and have a hell of a lot of fun in the process. It is more comfortable and more technologically advanced, and that appeals to many of the newer users.

Naturally there will always be those that argue that the CJ is supreme...or the Willys...or whatever floats their boat.

Ultimately...its whatever fits YOU the best...for now.

Everything changes.

usjeep 01-17-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vroooom (Post 1930059)
This topic is gonna stir-up a s---storm of arguments cuz lots of folks cant simply state an opinion and leave it at that. They gotta be "right" and try to sway others into being "right" with them.

I do not have that afliction. I can give my opinion, knowing that many will disagree vehemently. Thats ok with me.

Ive had both....TJ and a new JKu.

I think the TJ is a better JEEP in the classic sense of the word. It is more basic and more capable in terms of off-road maneuverability (shorter, narrower, better HP to Weight ratio).

I think the JK is the better JEEP in the revised sense of the word....do almost anything, almost anywhere, almost anytime.....and have a hell of a lot of fun in the process. It is more comfortable and more technologically advanced, and that appeals to many of the newer users.

Naturally there will always be those that argue that the CJ is supreme...or the Willys...or whatever floats their boat.

Ultimately...its whatever fits YOU the best...for now.

Everything changes.

I got to agree Vroooom on this. :thumb:

00tj2 01-17-2012 08:46 AM

I know this much... No matter how I adjust the seat my head is pressed up against the sound bar... And I mean adjusting for real driving, not putting the seat all the way forward... Never happens in my TJ no matter what I do to the seat.

DaisyCutter 01-17-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usjeep (Post 1930084)
I got to agree Vroooom on this. :thumb:

Me too.

Lock it now.

Savage1979 01-17-2012 09:15 AM

I was just thinking the new JK had more ground clearance due to the bigger rim and tires which would require more of a lift; and both seem to have the trail rated badge. But my 2003 is not trail rated what-ever that means.

Jerry Bransford 01-17-2012 09:21 AM

Offroad-wise, I'm certain they have the same capabilities. My problem with the JK is that having worked on many TJs and several JKs, TJs are a LOT easier to perform basic modifications on. It's a more complex vehicle where its body is concerned and it is very car-like in terms of its complexity... difficult to get to things that are exposed and easy to get to/bolt to on a TJ. I had a nightmare weekend installing rocker guards on a friend's new JK that should have take a couple hours at the most but took nearly two days due to the JK's new double-wall construction in the rocker guard area. Not to mention when I drove it, its V6 engine and its performance seemed very family-van like.

Imped 01-17-2012 09:36 AM

LOL.....what does "stock lift" mean?

06GoldenEagle 01-17-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 1930188)
Offroad-wise, I'm certain they have the same capabilities. My problem with the JK is that having worked on many TJs and several JKs, TJs are a LOT easier to perform basic modifications on. It's a more complex vehicle where its body is concerned and it is very car-like in terms of its complexity... difficult to get to things that are exposed and easy to get to/bolt to on a TJ. I had a nightmare weekend installing rocker guards on a friend's new JK that should have take a couple hours at the most but took nearly two days due to the JK's new double-wall construction in the rocker guard area. Not to mention when I drove it, its V6 engine and its performance seemed very family-van like.

was it family van-like with the 3.8L minivan motor?
could explain it

jebby 01-17-2012 11:49 AM

both will hold there own tjs are my fav because they are a balance between comfort (jk) and hardcore (cj and to a lesser extent yj) plus i could afford my tj and i can turn a wrench on it.... that being said when the wifes buick dies a jku is a front runner for replacement

Pontiackid87 01-17-2012 12:54 PM

Easy..

JK mall crawler- TJ bada$$ jeep
JK soccer mom mobile - TJ bada$$ jeep
JK I'm afraid to get it dirty- TJ bada$$ jeep....

I've driven the JK's and used to sell them... I hate them with a passion... the wrangler lost is balls with the JK in my opinion..

OregonRubicon 01-17-2012 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
JK = stealer has them

TJ = can't pry one out of a guys dead cold hands on the steering wheel.

Attachment 90556

jrussblues 01-17-2012 01:30 PM

I've had both, in terms of clearance, suspension and off road capability off the show room floor the jk takes it...sorry...it does. In terms of ease of modification and overall "jeeplikeness" the tj takes it. That's why I got rid of my jk and got an lj.

s14sh3r 01-17-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontiackid87 (Post 1930717)
Easy..

I've driven the JK's and used to sell them... I hate them with a passion... the wrangler lost is balls with the JK in my opinion..

I remember hearing the same things when the Wrangler came out. :D

Imped 01-17-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Easy..

JK pinion huge--TJ pinion small
JK HP 44--TJ LP30 or LP44

Here's a nice example of a non-mall crawler
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...6/3f7d08d2.jpg

Just sayin. :thumb:

MNTNGOAT 01-17-2012 02:03 PM

ive deff seen WAY more JKs like this ^^^ than i have TJs on the trails but i also see more stock jks too. but thats cause they sell more theres more of them around so there not allll mall crawlers.

Imped 01-17-2012 02:09 PM

An an equally nice TJ.....

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1315349428

Point being: There are pluses and minuses but once you go over the deep end, there's no difference.

jwm1986 01-17-2012 02:16 PM

Stock for stock it seems like the JK's get hung on the belly easier than a TJ. But i'm also of the opinion they can both be equally capable with a few basic mods. It's all personal preference and budget.

GoldenSahara00 01-17-2012 02:16 PM

I think stock that a JK is obviously going to be better, unless your in a place with alot of sharp angles, because the short wheelbase may help you over a jku. but then again the long wheelbase of a jku will help with hills. As for modding. Well if you can buy a nice lj rubi for 15k and a nice jk rubi for 30k. you have that much extra money to add pretty much anything you heart desires. Personally I bought a inexpensive non rubi because I knew I would be replacing alot of the parts anyways.

I don't really think it matters if one is better. Its more of an individual jeep thing. because as soon as you put a few hundred bucks one way or another you can say one would be better. Just buy your jeep and love it.

Both are capable offroad, both can be moddified very much. TJs are easier to work on, and the amount of electronic dependency is the thing that makes me dislike the JK the most. I also am very fond of the I6.

The JK has a different fender/body style, and sits slightly higher due to this and due to the slightly larger wheels.

GoldenSahara00 01-17-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 1930959)

Point being: There are pluses and minuses but once you go over the deep end, there's no difference.

Thats the perfect way to sum it up.

Mr. Sinister 01-17-2012 02:20 PM

Both are pretty damn capable.
I'll personally mail you a dollar if you ever got into a situation where the very small difference in exterior dimensions stopped your JK where a TJ could go, ruling out driver ability.

Mr. Sinister 01-17-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Easy..

Dude you drive a Solstice, you lost the ability to criticize "balls". :rofl::D:thumb:

99 tj 01-17-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00
I think stock that a JK is obviously going to be better, unless your in a place with alot of sharp angles, because the short wheelbase may help you over a jku. but then again the long wheelbase of a jku will help with hills. As for modding. Well if you can buy a nice lj rubi for 15k and a nice jk rubi for 30k. you have that much extra money to add pretty much anything you heart desires. Personally I bought a inexpensive non rubi because I knew I would be replacing alot of the parts anyways.

I don't really think it matters if one is better. Its more of an individual jeep thing. because as soon as you put a few hundred bucks one way or another you can say one would be better. Just buy your jeep and love it.

Both are capable offroad, both can be moddified very much. TJs are easier to work on, and the amount of electronic dependency is the thing that makes me dislike the JK the most. I also am very fond of the I6.

The JK has a different fender/body style, and sits slightly higher due to this and due to the slightly larger wheels.

I agree no matter what u have as long as it says jeep on it. Love it and do what u can afford to do with it if u start to argue about which one is better your no different than the hummer group if it's a jeep they are all the same.

Bobs Jeep 01-17-2012 02:29 PM

I have a TJ and a JKU. My wife drives the JKU mostly and I drive the TJ. They both are great Jeeps. I am more familiar with the inter-workings of the TJ but only because this is my second one.

jkaufman_95 01-17-2012 02:33 PM

At the end of the day they both are still a jeep. The jk bashing happened to the tj's from yj guys,and to yj guys from cj guys. Its all stupid. Few months ago there was a jku directly behind me on the trail, he had the same basic mods I have. He kept up just fine.

XJ Knight 01-17-2012 02:37 PM

:popcorn:

GoldenSahara00 01-17-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister (Post 1930996)
Dude you drive a Solstice, you lost the ability to criticize "balls". :rofl::D:thumb:

I just died. Thank you, thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkaufman_95 (Post 1931041)
At the end of the day they both are still a jeep. The jk bashing happened to the tj's from yj guys,and to yj guys from cj guys. Its all stupid. Few months ago there was a jku directly behind me on the trail, he had the same basic mods I have. He kept up just fine.

and the guys in the wagons behind oxen bashed those gosh dang willys didn't they!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 tj (Post 1931013)
I agree no matter what u have as long as it says jeep on it. Love it and do what u can afford to do with it if u start to argue about which one is better your no different than the hummer group if it's a jeep they are all the same.

no doubt man

OregonRubicon 01-17-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkaufman_95

Show us some good pics of your rig there Jackie boy.