Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Using Tread Lightly--does salesperson lose $$ (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/using-tread-lightly-does-salesperson-lose-133745.html)

realter 01-17-2012 04:53 PM

Using Tread Lightly--does salesperson lose $$
 
After telling him I am waiting for TL certificate, he quit calling me daily. Do they make that much less money on a sale if you use an affiliate discount? This is the same guy who told me he never had heard of Tread Lightly. Also, does the discount work the same for an ordered vehicle?

blackforestgreen 01-17-2012 04:56 PM

pat feilds should be able to answer that.

tomthbomb 01-17-2012 05:18 PM

As I understand it Tread Lightly actually gives 2% to the dealer. Some dealers pass on the full 2% to the buyer or pass on 1% and keep 1% for themselves. Either way the dealer is not penalized.

Works for an ordered or in stock vehicle.

Pat, correct me if I am wrong.

Up Hill Bill 01-17-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realter (Post 1931252)
After telling him I am waiting for TL certificate, he quit calling me daily. Do they make that much less money on a sale if you use an affiliate discount? ...

Chrysler pays them 2% of factory invoice, so dealership makes about 1% of invoice + holdback (3% of MSRP - delivery charge.) It's a good deal for everybody, don't let them tell you differently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by realter (Post 1931252)
... Also, does the discount work the same for an ordered vehicle?

Yes.

stroh 01-17-2012 05:25 PM

I asked my salesman (Dennis Larson) the same question. If I understood what he said he gets commission on the total sales price so if I paid sticker or a premium as some dealers wanted he would have made more. But, he said he sells a higher volume if people are happy and tell their friends and neighbors and come back for future purchases so, for him, it isn't about the one big commission check but rather lots of smaller ones.

Tanksta 01-17-2012 05:26 PM

According to my sales guy:
At 1% below invoice(normal TL discount) he doesnt lose money.
At 2% the dealer has to find somewhere to make the cut and it culd be the sales guys commission. Suppose it depends on the dealer.
That is what my guy said. He was fairly up front and didnt try to bs me so I have no reason not to believe it.
But then he could have bs'ed me???

Yes it works the same for an ordered vehicle.
Just ordered mine yesterday!:D

Comac90 01-17-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanksta (Post 1931351)
According to my sales guy:
At 1% below invoice(normal TL discount) he doesnt lose money.
At 2% the dealer has to find somewhere to make the cut and it culd be the sales guys commission. Suppose it depends on the dealer.
That is what my guy said. He was fairly up front and didnt try to bs me so I have no reason not to believe it.
But then he could have bs'ed me???

Yes it works the same for an ordered vehicle.
Just ordered mine yesterday!:D

He either BS'd you or doesn't know what he's talking about ... all things being equal, the dealer is better off with a deal using TL Affiliate Program - UpHillBill is right ... we must've gone thru this 100 times this past summer.

T

FOUR FLUSHER 01-17-2012 05:31 PM

When I was shopping, two local dealers and one in Cali, NONE of the them had ever heard of or done a TL discount, I'm talking even the managers, isn't that weird?

Up Hill Bill 01-17-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOUR FLUSHER (Post 1931375)
When I was shopping, two local dealers and one in Cali, NONE of the them had ever heard of or done a TL discount, I'm talking even the managers, isn't that weird?

Sigh.....

Ask them about the Chrysler Affiliate Rewards program. They will know what that is. There is no such thing as a "TL discount"....

FOUR FLUSHER 01-17-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 1931395)
Sigh.....

Ask them about the Chrysler Affiliate Rewards program. They will know what that is. There is no such thing as a "TL discount"....

I understand, they had not had anyone use the Chrysler Affiliate Reward program using the TL membership number

Up Hill Bill 01-17-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOUR FLUSHER (Post 1931418)
I understand, they had not had anyone use the Chrysler Affiliate Reward program using the TL membership number

There are about 1,800 employment and membership situations that quality a person for the Affiliate Rewards discount! Not surprising if a dealer hasn't dealt with a large number of those, including TL.

Here's the list: Chrysler Affiliate Rewards Program

But it doesn't matter, because Chrysler will issue a control number which cites TL as the reason for eligibility, and that's that. Dealer can't pick and choose who is eligible, so no need to worry that dealer/salesman doesn't know about TL .....

What is important is that YOU know! :thumb:

JKatfish 01-17-2012 05:52 PM

My salesperson said he still gets his regular commission, but it was a flat rate.

Tanksta 01-17-2012 06:36 PM

I'd say he just didn't know, and bs'ed me. No biggie, I got a good deal and so did they.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comac90 (Post 1931363)
He either BS'd you or doesn't know what he's talking about ... all things being equal, the dealer is better off with a deal using TL Affiliate Program - UpHillBill is right ... we must've gone thru this 100 times this past summer.

T

The customer does pretty well also! Even at 1% below invoice.

FOUR FLUSHER 01-17-2012 06:39 PM

I got the discount "no problemo" just surprised others in my area hadn't jumped at the chance, fools were paying over sticker for a "hard to get" vehicle

realter 01-17-2012 09:19 PM

Thats quite a list. It's interesting that the Chevy dealership across the street is individually listed! If I work for one of the companies on the list, can I get 2% off? 1% for TL plus 1% for the other company? It seems like most of the working world can qualify for the discount. Thanks for the link.

devicemanager 01-17-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realter (Post 1931252)
After telling him I am waiting for TL certificate, he quit calling me daily.

Find a new dealership. :whistling:

stroh 01-17-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 1931439)

Really amazing what is on that list, fast food, pharmaceuticals, department stores, breweries...

Up Hill Bill 01-17-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realter (Post 1932195)
Thats quite a list. It's interesting that the Chevy dealership across the street is individually listed! If I work for one of the companies on the list, can I get 2% off? 1% for TL plus 1% for the other company? It seems like most of the working world can qualify for the discount. Thanks for the link.

I seriously doubt that multiple qualifications gets you anything. The Affiliate Rewards price is a set discount and will be noted on the factory invoice following the abbreviation "PP". But, all current incentives, and anything you can negotiate with the dealer will be subtracted from the guaranteed PP price.

otnewt 01-18-2012 01:59 AM

I just have to say that ignorance really is bliss. I just realized that I could have ordered a 2012 unlimited rubicon with EXACTLY what I wanted and paid less (not by much) with the TL discount than I did on my 2012 unlimited sahara that I picked off the lot. :facepalm:

Well, I guess the next time I buy a car I will make sure to do it the right way and actually research what all is available instead of being blinded by the orange.

Matador 01-18-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realter (Post 1932195)
Thats quite a list. It's interesting that the Chevy dealership across the street is individually listed! If I work for one of the companies on the list, can I get 2% off? 1% for TL plus 1% for the other company? It seems like most of the working world can qualify for the discount. Thanks for the link.

You can certainly combine discounts. I had asked about combining the TL 1% with the special pricing from my job's affiliation which was also 1% under invoice. I was told by several people on this forum that they were the same thing and the dealer wouldn't do it. Not only did I get the 2% under invoice, but I was able to negotiate an additional 1%, because I was personally buying two Jeeps and brought 2 additional sales at the same time. On top of ALL that he applied the $1,000 conquest lease rebate (must be leasing a competitor's car at the time of sale) after tax, bringing my final vehicle cost a little over 6% under invoice.

There are several incentives that the dealer can tap into, whether they choose to pass along some of that to you is the trick.

pat@fieldsauto.com 01-18-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matador (Post 1933571)
You can certainly combine discounts. I had asked about combining the TL 1% with the special pricing from my job's affiliation which was also 1% under invoice. I was told by several people on this forum that they were the same thing and the dealer wouldn't do it. Not only did I get the 2% under invoice, but I was able to negotiate an additional 1%, because I was personally buying two Jeeps and brought 2 additional sales at the same time. On top of ALL that he applied the $1,000 conquest lease rebate (must be leasing a competitor's car at the time of sale) after tax, bringing my final vehicle cost a little over 6% under invoice.

There are several incentives that the dealer can tap into, whether they choose to pass along some of that to you is the trick.

Wrong, you can only use 1 affiliate rewards program per vehicle. The dealer just gave you the full 2% the dealer gets back.


As far as the salesperson losing money every store is different. I am comission based salesperson so the more I make over invoice the more I get paid. My comission is 25% of the profit over invoice. by selling at invoice or under I get a flat rate of $100 per vehicle.(mini comission)

So does the salesperson get hurt, no. If the salesperson is smart, they'll make it a quick easy deal so they can collect their $100 from the dealer and move on to the next customer. Also salespeople get rewards from Chrysler for every new vehicle sale. Based on individual results and volume can be an additional $25 to $75 per new vehicle.

realter 01-18-2012 11:08 AM

According to Pat, if I purchase using TL discount, the salesman might only get $100. So by the time I have driven both the 2 and 4 wheel Jeeps, himmed and hawed around about which one I want, he could have met a ready buyer at the front door and made much more $$. No wonder he hasn't called back he might only make minimum wage on the transaction.

pat@fieldsauto.com 01-18-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realter (Post 1933945)
According to Pat, if I purchase using TL discount, the salesman might only get $100. So by the time I have driven both the 2 and 4 wheel Jeeps, himmed and hawed around about which one I want, he could have met a ready buyer at the front door and made much more $$. No wonder he hasn't called back he might only make minimum wage on the transaction.

That's a chance you take as a salesperson. Most new vehicle sales are at invoice or below, so don't feel bad. Plus most stores have volume bonuses. For me 20 pays $2000, so even if I spend 8 hours with you, your sale might get me to that bonus level. If your salesperson sells 13 or more new in a month then chrysler gives the salesperson $75. If a salesperson does 30 new in 3 months then there is a 30% override on the chrysler rewards money. The Chrysler money adds up.

Tanksta 01-18-2012 03:19 PM

Thanks Pat, for your honesty and all of your input across the board!:thumb:
It has helped myself and others tremendously!


I think my sales guy is doing pretty well getting $100 on my sale.
I was only at the dealer for about 30min for my initial visit/order, and that includes the test drive we went on!

I realize that he will have other time into the sale behind the scene and at delivery, but even if it adds up to 3hrs or so, thats quite a bit more than I make per hr!
(I know, a little over-simplified but ya'll get the point ;) )

pat@fieldsauto.com 01-18-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanksta (Post 1934735)
Thanks Pat, for your honesty and all of your input across the board!:thumb:
It has helped myself and others tremendously!


I think my sales guy is doing pretty well getting $100 on my sale.
I was only at the dealer for about 30min for my initial visit/order, and that includes the test drive we went on!

I realize that he will have other time into the sale behind the scene and at delivery, but even if it adds up to 3hrs or so, thats quite a bit more than I make per hr!
(I know, a little over-simplified but ya'll get the point ;) )

I think you are looking at it the right way. If it does take him 3 hours he's still getting a good hourly rate.

I'm glad some of the info I post helped you out. All anyone has to do is ask, I'll do what I can to get the right info.

Tanksta 01-18-2012 08:53 PM

It might add up to more than 3hrs...
Just realized he didn't put my email on my order! :o

woodyaks 01-18-2012 09:20 PM

I too had to bounce around a few dealers to get someone to work with me the way I wanted. Most of them hadn't heard of the Tread Lightly and had their managers look it up. The managers seemed confused on how it worked and when they found out I wanted a Crush they said they couldn't give me the price on vehicles they had to import in and then tried pushing me into the colors on the lot. I finally found someone who work with me online. They gave me the Tread Lightly deal w/o any fuss. They hunted down the color and trim I wanted and got it in stock. Since I already did test drives and all the research it was a wham bam deal for them. I had to drive about an hour away when the closest dealer was only 15 minutes away, but it was pain free. I was in and out of there in about 2 hours. That's the way to buy a jeep!

Tanksta 01-18-2012 09:53 PM

Pat, the info you have posted here, and my own research, totally empowered me as a well informed buyer, and helped me be "proactive" in conversation with the salesman, before he had a chance to pull the ripcord on the bullshit engine! He knew I was serious, and I told him what I wanted, and it got done.

Thanks bro!

hotdog7u812 01-24-2012 05:07 PM

Try TRUECar.com...I received certificates for 3 local dealerships ranging from $1050., $2010 & $2040 under DEALER invoice not sticker price. Initially I thought it was way too good to be true however, upon calling one of the dealers and questioning further I found he was more than willing to locate the exact vehicle I was looking to buy and honoring the discount in addition to the Loyalty incentive I was entitled to from Jeep. All said and done, saving me over $3000 off the Dealer Invoice. I was able to verify the Dealer Invoice Pricing of the vehicle and dealer cost of all the options on a separate non-affiliated website so I was confident that the pricing was correct. I am curious if anyone else has had any experience with TRUECar.com. I got a better deal than initially obtained through offers received using Edmonds, Yahoo and several of the other online bidding sites I tried. Just sharing my experience in purchasing my 2012 Yeti on 12/16/11....Fullerton Jeep, Somerville, Nj 908-722-2500 And No I don't work for them or get anything for mentioning them...I am a dog groomer by trade who is just trying to share/help with my fellow Jeeper's


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 AM.