Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Hard tops and Ins. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/hard-tops-and-ins-13375.html)

Tumult 11-21-2007 10:04 PM

Hard tops and Ins.

Sombody must have run across this before.

A buddy of mine (2003 TJ) had a deer decide it wanted to hitch a ride through his pass side rear hard top window. It didn't turn out well and the top need to be replaced.

He has full coverage and of course has to pay the $500 deductible but his ins. is tryint to say he need to pay another $500 for depreciation with the thought that the top is like a pick-up topper and only has a lifetime of 20yrs.

I think NO

anyone else run into this?

AzTJ 11-21-2007 10:13 PM

never heard of that. When my window got busted out on the hard top it was covered, no problems.

sgnellett 11-21-2007 10:18 PM

Sounds like BS to me, that rate of depreciation would only work if the top cost $10,000! I'd tell 'em to pack sand, try again, that aint gonna fly! :flipoff:

Tumult 11-21-2007 10:22 PM

cost of the new top is down to 2k
if he has to pay the 500 + $500 depredia. he is paying for half of it

IMO it should be covered fully

AzTJ 11-21-2007 11:27 PM

Yes it should - anything attached to the vehicle should be covered.

skeeter 11-21-2007 11:34 PM

Yes, they tried it with me when mine was stolen.
You can dicker with em just like you would a dealership. I spent a couple hours arguing with the adjuster and actually wound up making money.

Tumult 11-21-2007 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter (Post 161064)
Yes, they tried it with me when mine was stolen.
You can dicker with em just like you would a dealership. I spent a couple hours arguing with the adjuster and actually wound up making money.

He's not trying to cheat the ins. company and make $ just trying to get them to pay for the new top

JCS05Rubi 11-22-2007 08:05 AM

Bitch. the hard top is not a "topper" and depreciates at the same rate of the vehicle and soft top and so on. If you were going by the insurance depreciation values, my jeep would be worth 10,000. Sorry slick, better start raising hell and get that hard top..

skeeter 11-22-2007 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tumult (Post 161066)
He's not trying to cheat the ins. company and make $ just trying to get them to pay for the new top

Who said anything about cheating the insurance company?:confused:
I entered into a business agreement with them to provide coverage for my vehicle, they agreed to the negotiations after doing an exhaustive search for a cheaper replacement. Everything was above board, legal and per the terms of our agreement. They started with a low ball offer in the hopes of saving themselves money, I simply negotiated a better deal and shopped for a replacement myself.

bluvikng 11-22-2007 10:48 AM

Nothing wrong with that, skeeter. I have also been in a position of having to negotiate with the insurance co., and what you say is absolutely true. They will always try to low ball you, and try to get you to accept their first offer. Everything in life is usually negotiable, and to put some one down for refusing the first low offer, is rather small minded.