Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   rustys/iron rock over the knuckle steering kit (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/rustys-iron-rock-over-the-knuckle-steering-kit-133824.html)

KawiTJ 01-17-2012 11:10 PM

rustys/iron rock over the knuckle steering kit
 
Rustys Offroad: Conversions - Jeep XJ-ZJ-TJ-YJ Tie Rod
IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: Heavy Duty Over the Knuckle Steering TJ/ZJ/XJ

does anyone have this set up? any pros or cons? I was told that the over the knuckle is a better set up than the stock y set up, wondering if anyone else has done the same?

KawiTJ 01-17-2012 11:15 PM

sorry to post this twice, apparantly i hit the back button after i posted the first time and didnt realize it, so i hit post...

Imped 01-18-2012 07:27 AM

Both options will give you tie rod roll and an associated dead spot in the steering. There's nothing that makes it 'better' than an inverted Y setup.

You can do a true, quality crossover steering setup but you'll have to ditch the stock knuckles and you'll spend a minimum of 3x what the above options cost.

necromancer_tat 01-18-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KawiTJ (Post 1932914)
Rustys Offroad: Conversions - Jeep XJ-ZJ-TJ-YJ Tie Rod
IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: Heavy Duty Over the Knuckle Steering TJ/ZJ/XJ

does anyone have this set up? any pros or cons? I was told that the over the knuckle is a better set up than the stock y set up, wondering if anyone else has done the same?

The Rusty's Offroad steering set up is really similar to the Rugged Ridge steering set up, both are an inverted "T" style of steering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 1933544)
Both options will give you tie rod roll and an associated dead spot in the steering. There's nothing that makes it 'better' than an inverted Y setup.

You can do a true, quality crossover steering setup but you'll have to ditch the stock knuckles and you'll spend a minimum of 3x what the above options cost.

Only the Rusty's set up is an inverted "T" set up, the Iron Rock set up is a cross over style steering system.


I would rather have the Iron Rock set up than the Rusty's, if I would've known about it before I bought my Rugged Ridge steering that's what I would have purchased instead.

A couple more steering options would be the Currie Currectlync inverted "Y" style steering, and the Rock Krawler cross over style steering. The Rock Crawler steering is similar to the Iron Rock set up but the drag link goes behind the tie rod instead of in front of it. The Currie steering is basically the stock style steering but redesigned for a lifted Jeep, and twice as strong and thick as the factory parts. The Crown heavy duty steering is also the same design as stock, but in between the stock and the currie set up as far as strength and price are concerned. The Savvy ultimate steering system uses the Currie drag link, with a Savvy designed tie rod that is basically unbreakable/bendable.

KawiTJ 01-18-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by necromancer_tat (Post 1934974)
Only the Rusty's set up is an inverted "T" set up, the Iron Rock set up is a cross over style steering system.


I would rather have the Iron Rock set up than the Rusty's, if I would've known about it before I bought my Rugged Ridge steering that's what I would have purchased instead.

A couple more steering options would be the Currie Currectlync inverted "Y" style steering, and the Rock Krawler cross over style steering. The Rock Crawler steering is similar to the Iron Rock set up but the drag link goes behind the tie rod instead of in front of it. The Currie steering is basically the stock style steering but redesigned for a lifted Jeep, and twice as strong and thick as the factory parts. The Crown heavy duty steering is also the same design as stock, but in between the stock and the currie set up as far as strength and price are concerned. The Savvy ultimate steering system uses the Currie drag link, with a Savvy designed tie rod that is basically unbreakable/bendable.

thanks for the info

necromancer_tat 01-18-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KawiTJ (Post 1935001)
thanks for the info

No problem, good luck with your steering set up! :thumb:

KawiTJ 01-20-2012 07:26 PM

going to look into the iron rock set up, I like the idea that if my tirod bends or something its not direct stress on other parts, and its a little more clearance.

rubiconvict05 03-05-2013 01:31 AM

Older thread but i came across it in a search.
I am looking at the rusty's kit at the top of the page. Does anyone have this and is it me or does it look as if when you turn almost to lock that it will rub causing a problem?

Imped 03-05-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubiconvict05 (Post 3458197)
Older thread but i came across it in a search.
I am looking at the rusty's kit at the top of the page. Does anyone have this and is it me or does it look as if when you turn almost to lock that it will rub causing a problem?

It's absolutely crap. Take it off the list.

rubiconvict05 03-05-2013 11:55 AM

Is there a reason for this opinion? Why is it crap? Not that i don't believe you I just want to know what the thought behind it is.

geiman 03-05-2013 11:57 AM

There are more than a few threads on this if you search around. Look into what inverted-t steering is and why it's bad on a TJ. You'll have more than enough info to think about.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.