Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Teraflex 2.5" BB + 35x12.50 STTs ... why am I rubbing when I turn? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/teraflex-2-5-bb-35x12-50-stts-why-am-i-rubbing-when-i-turn-134109.html)

GoBlueGigEm 01-19-2012 11:49 AM

Teraflex 2.5" BB + 35x12.50 STTs ... why am I rubbing when I turn?

- Also, I've trimmed the pinch seam and haven't put my rock rails back on yet.
- What used to be my rear sway bar links are moved to the front and are on the inside, with the nuts on the inside, giving the most room possible.
- My wheels are 17x9 with -12 offset, this *should* be 4.5" backspacing, according to this calculator, meaning I don't need spacers: Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com.

But ... when I turn full lock I get rubbing in the front. What are the likely culprits? I've tried the search function here and through google and can't come up with a good answer.

As an aside, I have Bushwacker flats, too, and haven't had the time to put them on yet, but those would only seem to help with vertical, rather than horizontal, movement of the wheels/tires relative to the body.

Any help with the likely culprits for this rubbing would be appreciated.

TeraFlex 01-19-2012 12:02 PM

Are you rubbing on the factory bumper and front air dam?

Revyjku08 01-19-2012 12:10 PM

Try adjusting your steering stops to avoid the rubbing.

The steer stop bolt is located on your front left and right steering knuckles.

Using a 9/16" socket, remove your Jeep JK Wrangler’s steer stop bolts.
Start with (1) 3/8" washer in each side. Retighten bolt. Then test.
Add more if needed.

GoBlueGigEm 01-19-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeraFlex (Post 1937798)
Are you rubbing on the factory bumper and front air dam?

Tonight my wife and I should both be home at a decent hour and can take a look see. I'll have her turn it lock to lock and we'll see what happens.

(BTW, if anyone clicks on this and wonders about TF, I really like the 2.5" kit. Rides like stock, no alignment issues, hardest part of the install was getting the trackbar bolts off.)

GoBlueGigEm 01-19-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revyjku08 (Post 1937816)
Try adjusting your steering stops to avoid the rubbing.

The steer stop bolt is located on your front left and right steering knuckles.

Using a 9/16" socket, remove your Jeep JK Wrangler’s steer stop bolts.
Start with (1) 3/8" washer in each side. Retighten bolt. Then test.
Add more if needed.

Hadn't thought about that because I'd rather not lose the turning radius, but if it's what I gotta do it's what I gotta do.

Tonight I'm going to have my wife turn it lock to lock and get under there and take a good close look. I gotta get dirty to reattach the rock rails anyway, might as well see what I can find then, too.

GoBlueGigEm 01-19-2012 01:20 PM

Thanks to both of ya, BTW.

TeraFlex 01-19-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBlueGigEm (Post 1938009)
Tonight my wife and I should both be home at a decent hour and can take a look see. I'll have her turn it lock to lock and we'll see what happens.

(BTW, if anyone clicks on this and wonders about TF, I really like the 2.5" kit. Rides like stock, no alignment issues, hardest part of the install was getting the trackbar bolts off.)

Thanks for buying TeraFlex! :punk:

clvnmcd 01-19-2012 02:25 PM

I would be willing to bet you are rubbing on the front air dam if you have a stock bumper set-up. I too have a 2.5" teraflex lift (coil) and 35" tires. They only rubbing occured at full turn with the front Air dam. a quick trim with a box cutter, eliminated that problem and looked better as well.

MD_Jeep 01-19-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clvnmcd
I would be willing to bet you are rubbing on the front air dam if you have a stock bumper set-up. I too have a 2.5" teraflex lift (coil) and 35" tires. They only rubbing occured at full turn with the front Air dam. a quick trim with a box cutter, eliminated that problem and looked better as well.

I am running exact same setup and it doesn't rub at all but I got rid if the plastic air dam when I put on a stubby bumper and skid plate.