Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Putting down the windshield. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/putting-down-the-windshield-134180.html)

Roman1_16 01-19-2012 05:27 PM

Putting down the windshield.
 
2 Attachment(s)
Really love wheeling in the mud without doors or top, but I've always wanted to put down the windshield. I saw a video on YouTube for a JK, but not for a TJ. and since the bolt patterns are extremely different, I need help. I know where all the bolts are but I can't find the ones to remove the front piece of the roll-cage. I also don't know how to take off the windshield wipers.
Here are some pics of the bolts.
Attachment 91104



Attachment 91105

Also one obvious consequence of No doors and mudding is all the interior mud. Im wondering if I remove the carpeting, would that save a headache. (go through alot of water as well)

jcmstrickers 01-19-2012 05:38 PM

Can't help you with the windshield, but removing the carpet was the first thing I did. Took about 30 second s. I also truck bed lined mine. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Rpkittle 01-19-2012 05:38 PM

I'm interested to know as well for when I go to the drive in movie theater :)

freeskier 01-19-2012 05:54 PM

Remove that black torx bolt on each side of the windshield, remove wipers, and remove A to B pillar crossbars on either side. At base of the wipers there is a tab you slide out and then just pull the arm off. When you have the windshield down check the bottom lip for rust and fix accordingly.

MNTNGOAT 01-19-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 1938778)
Remove that black torx bolt on each side of the windshield, remove wipers, and remove A to B pillar crossbars on either side. At base of the wipers there is a tab you slide out and then just pull the arm off. When you have the windshield down check the bottom lip for rust and fix accordingly.

in order to pull that tab out you just have to pull the wipers up. ya know like away from the window. then pull the lil tab out. and the roll cage bols should be under the padding. take all the padding and the door surrounds off then u should be able to see them. should be 2 each side atached to the windshield.

NewMoparGuy 01-19-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNTNGOAT (Post 1938825)
in order to pull that tab out you just have to pull the wipers up. ya know like away from the window. then pull the lil tab out. and the roll cage bols should be under the padding. take all the padding and the door surrounds off then u should be able to see them. should be 2 each side atached to the windshield.

MAKE SURE you lift the wiper arm off the windsheild before attempting to slide the tab out or it will bend....

Westbrook 01-19-2012 08:55 PM

If you have your owners manual there are instructions how to do this believe it or not.

MNTNGOAT 01-20-2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewMoparGuy (Post 1939082)
MAKE SURE you lift the wiper arm off the windsheild before attempting to slide the tab out or it will bend....

thanks thats what i was trying to say. u said it much better than i did.

Roman1_16 01-20-2012 06:28 PM

Ok results are, 2 stripped bolts and a bruise from the drill. I think I'll keep it up for the time being.

BLK00TJ 01-20-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roman1_16 (Post 1942546)
Ok results are, 2 stripped bolts and a bruise from the drill. I think I'll keep it up for the time being.

Yeah, those torx bolts on the tub are made of the softest possible metal. And to make it better, those cheaply made bolts are like $6 a pop at the stealership. I had to replace a bunch for when I made the mistake of trying to use mirror movers.

Roman1_16 01-20-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ
Yeah, those torx bolts on the tub are made of the softest possible metal. And to make it better, those cheaply made bolts are like $6 a pop at the stealership. I had to replace a bunch for when I made the mistake of trying to use mirror movers.

How can I get em out? I really wanna take the windshield down.

BLK00TJ 01-20-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roman1_16 (Post 1942758)
How can I get em out? I really wanna take the windshield down.

I had to use an EZ out to get them out and replace the bolts.

Kevbz 01-20-2012 10:19 PM

And once you get the shield down you need a security torx T-50 to remove the bars from the cage (the ones bolted to the top of shield, they kinda stick out and bounce around once the shield is down. That was my hardest bolt to loosen. I could only find a Allen key style t-50 and litterly had to use a 2' pipe as a breaker bar... All the way out.

Easy out is the way to go on those stripped out ones like suggested, I personally suck at using them though, never had good luck.

BLK00TJ 01-20-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevbz (Post 1943502)
And once you get the shield down you need a security torx T-50 to remove the bars from the cage (the ones bolted to the top of shield, they kinda stick out and bounce around once the shield is down. That was my hardest bolt to loosen. I could only find a Allen key style t-50 and litterly had to use a 2' pipe as a breaker bar... All the way out.

I used a nice set of vise-grips to remove that security bolt and then replaced that bolt with hex I bought at the hardware store.

Kevbz 01-20-2012 10:38 PM

That has to be the dumbest bolt on the TJ, i played like he'll finding a T-50 security, good call on vice grips

BLK00TJ 01-20-2012 10:40 PM

Funny thing is I only removed it so I could take off my rollbar padding without cutting it off. I ended up tossing the padding anyway.

freeskier 01-20-2012 10:42 PM

You shouldn't need to mess with the security torx. Two regular torx bolts hold the crossbar to the b pillar, just remove those.

DevilDogDoc 01-21-2012 12:42 AM

And now put all those torx you took out of the windshield frame back in and take out just the lower ones you didn't take out. If you drop the windshield the way it is now, it will fall off and dent your hood. All that's needed is the wipers, the bottom torx on each side and the bars that connect the cage to the windshield. On a side note, don't be suprised if it starts leaking water around the bottom of the windshield after you do get it down. They tend to rip when folded.

Kevbz 01-21-2012 10:06 AM

If you leave the bars connecting the cage to the upper windshield then you have two bars sticking out when the shield is down, kinda funny looking, and easy to bend if someone grabs it to get in, that's why I suggested using taking the t-50 out and removing those if going windshield down.

And I think he only took the bottom two out, or tried... But for clarity, of the three bolts on each upper hinge the top two flush torx hold the windshield to the hinge, the bottom button head torx holds it to the tub, restricting its hinge movement.

(on each side) Bottom button head torx and two torx holding bar at the top (by the visor) are the minimum need to fold the windshield.

Hope you get your striped ones out ok.

Yocarney 02-04-2012 06:17 PM

Anyone got a picture of where the torx bolt s for the windshield grab while it is down, stripped mine pretty bad maybe i can get then out from behind?

SirGeorgeKillian 02-04-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevbz (Post 1943571)
That has to be the dumbest bolt on the TJ, i played like he'll finding a T-50 security, good call on vice grips


If you take a small punch and a hammer you can turn any security torx into a regular one. A non security torx is much stronger than a security one...

solman 02-04-2012 07:00 PM

Heres a shot of mine with the windsheild down. This was from last week when I welded up my trail cage :)
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...94/photo-2.jpg

Coastiejeep 02-04-2012 08:03 PM

Solman, I like that cage.

solman 02-04-2012 08:07 PM

Thanks,
Its the BTF cage kit. Everything fit very good, I had to do a little bit of grinding but thats to be expected. The best part is that the kit was only a little ove $300 shipped to my door :)

Roman1_16 02-08-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmstrickers
Can't help you with the windshield, but removing the carpet was the first thing I did. Took about 30 second s. I also truck bed lined mine. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Black I assume?

jcmstrickers 02-08-2012 05:45 PM

yep rustoleum black

Hammerdown 02-08-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roman1_16 (Post 1942758)
How can I get em out? I really wanna take the windshield down.

May be you really want one of these?

http://tftscdn.nexus404.com/Blog/wp-...adrenaline.jpg

Roman1_16 02-08-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerdown

May be you really want one of these?

Haha yessss

Roman1_16 02-09-2012 04:40 PM

What size are the bolts?

bbeep 05-03-2013 11:15 AM

Putting down the windshield on a 2012 wrangler
 
1 Attachment(s)
#1 How hard is it to put down a windshield on a 2012 Jeep wrangler

#2 Can one person do it by themselves?

#3 How long does it take

#4 You would have no mirrors with it down and no doors

If anyone puts their windshield down and takes a pic of each step
I will turn it into a video for you tube

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...42864066_n.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.