Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   black hole in my yard... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/black-hole-in-my-yard-13452.html)

tiny terror 11-25-2007 10:05 AM

black hole in my yard...

I woke up this morning to my phone ringing, it was someone at my gate. Bleary eyed, I got dressed and went out to see what was so important that I have to get up early on a Sunday. I walk down the street to the corner of my property that has somehow become a black hole.

Laying sideways down in my yard is a small maroon civic. It had sheered off about ten full grown bushes and taken out my fence..... again. AGAIN!!! That corner of my yard has been driven through at least six times, once a motocycle launched itself over the burm down into the yard only to take out the top of one side of the fence and all of the other side of that corner.

Now, I will admit, this time wasn't so bad. The kid who did it actually owned up to it instead of just attempting to drive away (granted the guy on the motorcycle left in an ambulance). But all the others have crashed into the bushes, taken out the fence, drove through the neighbor's yard and left...... Oh wait.... while taking out our electricity and phone for 24 hours or more. This kid missed the electical box and the phone box.

What is with my yard though, how on earth can that many people not see a 35 mile an hour curve? Hell the other day, while I'm standing there (you can't really see down into my yard with all the trees and bushes), a guy in a beautiful old pickup crashes partway into the bushes, stops for a second, backs up and drives away. What the hell? He was going maybe 25 miles an hour.

I'm thinking I need to plant something or do something to keep people from driving into my yard. Maybe a huge brick wall or a guard rail like they have on the highway...... or landmines.

JCS05Rubi 11-25-2007 10:19 AM

Put up a brick wall. Then, atleast there vehicles wont be mobile enough to make quick escape, and their insurance can pay for damages. Guess you could always go the booring route, and set up a digital camera that records 24/7 to a desktop, and deletes itself after 2 days. A lot of business's run that setup and its pretty cheap if you do it yourself.

distortedtj 11-25-2007 10:24 AM

:rofl: well that does sux tiny but maybe all those cars just want you to park on them?:D

and my vote is for to plant some large oak trees. give the trees a couple of years and the should have a hard time getting past them.
:wavey:

tiny terror 11-25-2007 10:35 AM

Usually they just land in the yard and leave. This poor kid delivers the paper and it was his first day..... and he had a brand new car. I kinda feel for him, but jeeze, I drive the curve EVERY DAY and I have never driven into my yard.

And there was a tree..... but it's gone :(

rebelBullDawg325 11-25-2007 10:50 AM

do the camera thing, and everytime someone goes through the yard, post the vid on here, it'll at least give us some funny stuff to watch. but a brick wall aint that bad of an idea, you could do a tiered garden of sorts so the wall wont look like its really random, but it will still work at stopping cars

debruins 11-25-2007 11:02 AM

tire spikes the first three feet of your lawn and then the fence so they cant get away if they hit your fence

rketr 11-25-2007 11:21 AM

I'm voting for installing a mote...with alligators.

Seriously tho, a wall, while it may help solve the problem a little, will only cost you a fair chunk of change, will really only serve to cause additional damage to the next guy that "visits" your front yard, and will be a royal pain to have it repaired and paid for each time it happens.

Depending on where you are, you might want to call the city or county and push for them to install guard rails on the turn. Either that or ask them to install speed bumps before and after the turn. If the curve is that bad, they should do something if anything just to help with public safety. Calling them might be a bit of a struggle, but if you band together with your neighbors and maybe even the local media, it'll likely give you a good resolve in the long run.

The long and short is that they (the city/county) installed the road with too sharp a turn without the proper grading and railing protection. The $ should not come out of your pocket to solve the problem...

rebelBullDawg325 11-25-2007 11:26 AM

guard rail probably would hurt the value of your home bc it just wouldnt be eye please, speed bumps not a bad idea, heck, you could pour you're own if the city wont.

tiny terror 11-25-2007 12:03 PM

My yard is actually below the road, so I'm not sure it there's anything I can actually do other than try and get something big to grow there. I keep putting reflectors along the curve and they're sooooo much fun to have they disappear within a week or two.

dwdrums801 11-25-2007 12:19 PM

my vote is for the mote

4point 11-25-2007 12:40 PM

Plant a row of 8" pipe bollards in the bushes. :rofl:

amy 11-25-2007 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4point (Post 162084)
Plant a row of 8" pipe bollards in the bushes. :rofl:

And sharpen the ends to points.:D

But, a moat might not hurt either.

larphead 11-25-2007 01:38 PM

i say some lifelike child sized mannequins set along the road.....mabey a nun too :D

distortedtj 11-25-2007 01:46 PM

not sure on a mote but they do have a good idea. ...Have you ever wanted a pond! Mite just be the right place to put it. 4 foot deep should be good enofe... and you should be able to make there insurance pay for the damaged to your yard/pond. they'ed have to try pretty hard to get out and get away from that. lol

sgnellett 11-25-2007 02:01 PM

Or you could go hillbilly and just park a few old junk cars out there for them to bounce off of!? Might slow 'em down more than the bushes!

:flipoff: :rofl:

tiny terror 11-25-2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larphead (Post 162099)
i say some lifelike child sized mannequins set along the road.....mabey a nun too :D

That might work.... there's a nunnary up the road.

RIPBiker13 11-25-2007 08:27 PM

Put in some poles, like the ones at gas stations, and then replant the bushes to hide them. They might get hit, but they won't be able to take off. And it's easier to fix than a brick wall.

rebelBullDawg325 11-25-2007 10:43 PM

whats sad these days, is someone will hit the poles or brick wall and get hurt and want to sue you and most likely win. i really think the speedbumps are the best bet

RIPBiker13 11-25-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebelBullDawg325 (Post 162322)
whats sad these days, is someone will hit the poles or brick wall and get hurt and want to sue you and most likely win. i really think the speedbumps are the best bet

Didn't think about that. Well in that case the surveillance might be the best. Can't put things on the street, but you could petition the city to do it right?

jjseel 11-25-2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rketr (Post 162071)
I'm voting for installing a mote...with alligators.

:punk:

whitebuffalo 11-26-2007 10:04 AM

have you considered talking to the city or county or whatever governing authority maintains the roads? theyll prob blow you off but mention something about kids playing out there and lawsuits and media and maybe they'll deal with it (guardrail?)

debruins 11-26-2007 10:31 AM

she doesnt want a guard rail thoguh

02Prove 11-26-2007 10:34 AM

I can't believe no one has suggested flexing stones along the property line. :D

http://www.lipscher.com/rocks/61rocks.jpg

rketr 11-26-2007 01:19 PM

Yeah! Put a couple hundred of those out there...

...and we'll all come visit!

Wheelin' party in Tiny's front yard! :punk:

1BLKJP 11-26-2007 05:21 PM

I'm all for the steel piping buried about 6 foot in the ground and then filled with rebar and concrete. :D

Then put up a polite sign that states "if you drive off the road into my yard I will come out shooting" :D

RIPBiker13 11-26-2007 06:07 PM

IDK... I like the flex boulder idea... :D

1BLKJP 11-26-2007 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripbiker13 (Post 162665)
IDK... I like the flex boulder idea... :D

All fun and games until people are flexing on the rocks and a car comes around the corner and runs off the road. :eek::doh::zap:

tiny terror 11-26-2007 06:14 PM

I like the rocks idea...... but I think it would be cool just to cover that whole corner of the yard with rocks and use it as a third driveway :D

RIPBiker13 11-26-2007 06:16 PM

That's what I'm talking about! :punk:

tiny terror 11-26-2007 06:18 PM

I'll just start buying rocks until I have a whole pile...... hang on, I need to change my christmas list.