Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   question about title (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/question-about-title-13458.html)

Peevee 11-25-2007 04:33 PM

question about title

I looked at a Jeep today and was about to buy it. He then told me it had a rebuilt title. It's been in a front end collision but everything was repaired right.
It don't really bother me. Would I still be able to insure it? I always keep full coverage on my vehicles.

jeeperx2 11-25-2007 04:53 PM

if it has a salvage title? you said rebuilt ? that means it has had more than 50% of its value damaged. not to big of a deal if like you said it was done right. yes you can insure it . if it has a current salvage title it has been inspected generally by local police dept or dot and demed safe. keep in mind it should be a few thousand cheaper than a reg title vehicle and a bank usually will only loan 80% of book lv

Scout 11-25-2007 05:16 PM

Your problems arise when you try to sell it. I'd stay away from anything with a marked title unless you plan on keeping it forever and never selling it. Also, it better be one hell of a deal over one without a rebuilt title.

jherrin215 11-25-2007 06:57 PM

Yeah, you need to plan on having it for a while!! I have owned several rebuilt vehicles and don't have a problem with them, but you don't get much for them when it's time to sell.

Peevee 11-26-2007 02:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. Every jeep around here that is equipped like I want it. They are usually $7995 and up with 100,000 plus miles. This one is $3995 and it's a 1997 Sahara
edition with hard top and full doors plus a soft top. It has the 4.0 and 5 speed with air conditioning. So I would probably be keeping it for awhile. It also has 133,000 miles.

jeeperx2 11-26-2007 02:40 PM

i would do it but thats just me

parrot head 11-26-2007 02:48 PM

My last Jeep (89 yj) had a rebuilt title. As hard as I looked I could not see any evidence of damage from whatever accident it had. That is until I got it up to highway speeds. It was squirrely and hard to control at anything over 50-55mph. I bought it anyway (great price) and was able to fix the problems. My advice would be to do a very thorough test drive and maybe take it to a qualified mechanic for an un-biased assesment.:cool:

parrot head 11-26-2007 02:54 PM

:DAnother thing that just occured to me. I bought the yj with the intention of never selling it, and just running it till it puked. So I didn't care about the title either. Trouble is that life is unpredictable; after owning it for 8 months and spending a lot of money upgrading it, I broke my back in a bad fall at work. Now I can't drive a stick anymore and had to sell the yj. I barely got my original purchase price for it and lost all the mone I spent on upgrades. I would have had a much better chance of recovering some of my investment if the title was clean. Just my own 2c:cool: