Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Plasti Dipped my Canyons (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/plasti-dipped-my-canyons-134601.html)

MustangWrangler 01-21-2012 05:57 PM

Plasti Dipped my Canyons

Bit the bullet and said what the hell! If I don't like it, I can take it off. Cleaned them up best I could and even cleaned the back up a little. I saw where someone mentioned setting your lugs in the holes while you painted because they ran into an issue with the paint tearing and ruining the job the first go around with theirs. Taped off the holes, few coats here, few coats there, dry dry dry. Boom! I am very happy with the result. A few small rough spots but I ain't takin' it to a car show or nothin'! All the over spray on the tires just peeled right off when I was done :D

Figured this would hold me over till I get new rims and tires this spring (fingers crossed). I told my wife what I was doing this morning before she left for work and she said "I thought you said you were going to rake the front yard today." GUILTY! So in between coats and drying time, I raked the front yard :thumb:

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...-00-43_143.jpg
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...-50-34_902.jpg
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...-09-40_531.jpg
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...-27-45_688.jpg
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...-06-06_508.jpg

jarksmile 01-21-2012 06:12 PM

Nice and even, I like the look of that a lot!

Granman 01-21-2012 06:22 PM

Looks damn good, guess I'll be doing the same thing to mine now before I decide to get new ones.

KidRock171 01-21-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangWrangler
Bit the bullet and said what the hell! If I don't like it, I can take it off. Cleaned them up best I could and even cleaned the back up a little. I saw where someone mentioned setting your lugs in the holes while you painted because they ran into an issue with the paint tearing and ruining the job the first go around with theirs. Taped off the holes, few coats here, few coats there, dry dry dry. Boom! I am very happy with the result. A few small rough spots but I ain't takin' it to a car show or nothin'! All the over spray on the tires just peeled right off when I was done :D

Figured this would hold me over till I get new rims and tires this spring (fingers crossed). I told my wife what I was doing this morning before she left for work and she said "I thought you said you were going to rake the front yard today." GUILTY! So in between coats and drying time, I raked the front yard :thumb:

Damn good. Looks like they were made that color. How many coats?

Allstar Realtor 01-21-2012 08:03 PM

Those look great! I wonder how doing just the spokes OR doing all but the spokes would look?

MustangWrangler 01-21-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidRock171 (Post 1946074)
Damn good. Looks like they were made that color. How many coats?

I did the passenger side first so I spend a little more time on them allowing more dry time between coats. I probably did 4-5 coats over a couple of hours. It was taking a lot longer than I expected to dry because we had kind of high humidity today.

I did the driver side a little quicker. Did a nice light coat and let it dry, second coat. Didn't wait as long and applied a good third coat and did a final nice thick forth coat. It was getting dark and they were a tad tacky still. I took my time putting them back on the Jeep and never touched the wheels even when putting the lugs in and tightening them.

Got off track....4-5 coats :cool:

MustangWrangler 01-21-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allstar Realtor (Post 1946323)
Those look great! I wonder how doing just the spokes OR doing all but the spokes would look?

Meh...I saw a picture somewhere where someone left the spokes the silver color and painted the inserts black. Wasn't my favorite. I would be interested in seeing the spokes black and leaving the inserts the dark gray color. Would be a lot of work taping off and I wouldn't go that route with the Plasti Dip with all those edges...one edge gets snagged or loose and away goes all your hard work. Would look good though!

BLK00TJ 01-21-2012 09:53 PM

Looks very good! I miss my canyons. They just didn't have the BS I needed. I painted the pockets just before I sold them and liked it like that for about a week before they started reminding me of '70 Cragars on muscle cars. I should have went all black.

Palmers2000tj 01-21-2012 09:55 PM

I have a set and that is exactly what I want to do... black spokes with the interior part grey. As soon as I get them cleaned and done will post.

BLK00TJ 01-21-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palmers2000tj (Post 1946661)
I have a set and that is exactly what I want to do... black spokes with the interior part grey. As soon as I get them cleaned and done will post.

Here's how mine turned out.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...edWheel019.jpg

Black Magic Brakes 01-21-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ (Post 1946657)
Looks very good! I miss my canyons. They just didn't have the BS I needed. I painted the pockets just before I sold them and liked it like that for about a week before they started reminding me of '70 Cragars on muscle cars. I should have went all black.

Out of curiosity, how did you wind up with 3" Currie springs?

BLK00TJ 01-21-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 1946904)
Out of curiosity, how did you wind up with 3" Currie springs?

My wife bought them off some crazy guy named Gerald at Savvy for my Xmas present. I haven't had a chance to put them through the test yet as I'm dealing with a rear shock issue, but so far they ride nice. Much better than my old setup of v8 ZJ springs up front and 2" BB in back.

Black Magic Brakes 01-22-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ (Post 1946930)
My wife bought them off some crazy guy named Gerald at Savvy for my Xmas present. I haven't had a chance to put them through the test yet as I'm dealing with a rear shock issue, but so far they ride nice. Much better than my old setup of v8 ZJ springs up front and 2" BB in back.

Thanks, just curious because Currie doesn't sell a 3" spring, Savvy does because we had Currie make them for us. ;)

KidRock171 01-22-2012 10:42 AM

Visually I see one problem. Next time you get your tires balanced. Your going to have to re do the paint job. The removal and replacing of the wheel weight is going to destroy the plasti dip.

BLK00TJ 01-22-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 1947793)
Thanks, just curious because Currie doesn't sell a 3" spring, Savvy does because we had Currie make them for us. ;)

I see. I just considered them to be Currie since that's the description on the website. I just fixed my shocks so I'll try to get them offroad soon.

PS... How's that work?;)
V
V
V

Arch Stanton 01-22-2012 12:42 PM

I was told by a Currie vendor that they were thinking of coming out with a 2" lift. I called Currie and was told that they had no plans for a 2" lift, but that they made proprietary lift parts for Savvy. Is Savvy coming out with a 2" lift?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 1947793)

MustangWrangler 01-22-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidRock171 (Post 1947912)
Visually I see one problem. Next time you get your tires balanced. Your going to have to re do the paint job. The removal and replacing of the wheel weight is going to destroy the plasti dip.

Oh I know. I have been on the fence about painting them black for a few months but was nervous about taking the permanent route. I plan on getting 32's in a couple months. Now that I know I like them black I will strip the Plasti Dip off before getting the new tires on and have the weights put on the back of the wheels. I will then permanantly spray them black and throw some spacers on.

KidRock171 01-22-2012 04:59 PM

That's a plan.
You should leave em black. Then when the tire place ruins it freak out and tell them it cost you hundreds to get done. Maybe get some free tires.

Black Magic Brakes 01-22-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch Stanton (Post 1948263)
I was told by a Currie vendor that they were thinking of coming out with a 2" lift. I called Currie and was told that they had no plans for a 2" lift, but that they made proprietary lift parts for Savvy. Is Savvy coming out with a 2" lift?

I don't know of any plans at the moment for a 2" lift. I don't know that we would do a lift without most of the correct pieces you need anyway and for a 2" all you need is a budget boost and at some point, an adjustable front swaybar and some shocks.

Not really our specialty.

stangmata 01-22-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidRock171 (Post 1949077)
That's a plan.
You should leave em black. Then when the tire place ruins it freak out and tell them it cost you hundreds to get done. Maybe get some free tires.

I HOPE you aren't serious.

KidRock171 01-22-2012 07:21 PM

I've seen worse things done.

Arch Stanton 01-22-2012 08:52 PM

Thanks for clarifying that. Have a good evening!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 1949143)
I don't know of any plans at the moment for a 2" lift. I don't know that we would do a lift without most of the correct pieces you need anyway and for a 2" all you need is a budget boost and at some point, an adjustable front swaybar and some shocks.

Not really our specialty.

stangmata 01-22-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidRock171 (Post 1949543)
I've seen worse things done.

What ever you do to justify shitty morals...

KidRock171 01-22-2012 09:53 PM

You sound mad.

OP what spacers are you looking at?

MustangWrangler 01-22-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidRock171 (Post 1950224)
You sound mad.

OP what spacers are you looking at?

Haven't looked into it that much yet. I know they are usually $200 for all 49. Wouldn't mind finding some used.

KidRock171 01-22-2012 11:08 PM

Yeah...spidertrax get alot of rave.

scot68 01-23-2012 06:27 PM

Looks good. :thumb: I'm Curious as to how they will hold up??

jstone326 01-23-2012 07:42 PM

About the OP... how many cans of plasti-dip did you use?

MustangWrangler 01-23-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstone326 (Post 1953479)
About the OP... how many cans of plasti-dip did you use?

Almost 3 cans.