Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Will you back me on starting a jeep frame RECALL!!!

9K views 42 replies 26 participants last post by  Tannerr 
#1 ·
Hi all i see this is a big issue of jeep frames rotting out because of some design issues. I have this issue with my 2000 wrangler now i know alot of its how you take care of your jeep and what you do with it but despite the fact jeep frames should not be rotting out in 10 years or less.

I guess what im trying to say we should try and get a recall on the frames by saying something to Chrysler!!! of course it is not going to happen over night but some one should say something about this growing issue. Who says this cant happen to newer models of wranglers? I dont know about any one else but this issue really upsets me i love jeep and its awesome models and i bet this issue causes people to bang their heads on the wall!!! :banghead:

Im willing to say something to Chrysler i just need people to back me up on this but only if your willing i know i am. Call me stupid or dumb for doing this i dont care better than doing nothing i think.

#3 ·
Yeah I can understand your frustration, but like said you are talking about a regional problem. Salt usage by your DOT to keep the roads clear.

I grew up and lived for a long time in PA, and saw the same results on plenty of vehicles from the use of salt on the roads. But I also saw the same type and year vehicles not showing the same signs. Why? Well, vehicles used in more rural areas saw less salt exposure then city vehicles. Municipalities first priority is to keep major roads open and clear, secondary/rural roads are not. So the cities/major highways see the most salt.

Secondly is the owner, and how they take care of their vehicle. Don't maintain the vehicle by letting the salt coat and sit on/in your vehicle and it's going to rust.
It takes work to keep your vehicle free of rust. And most owners are lazy. The last thing they want to do is spend time in frigid conditions spraying their vehicle with water at a car wash. Same jerks you see driving in winter with port holes for windows cause they are too lazy to clear the snow off.

It's either plan on being cold and soaking wet a lot in the winter, keeping the salt off your vehicle, or do like many of us did. You buy a "winter unit". Yep a beater for driving in the winter. Something you could care less about. Keep your prize vehicle garaged, waiting for the spring thaw. Or do nothing and suffer the results.

More and more I see it, the "It's not my fault, someone else should be responsible" for what ever. Engine blows, it's not my fault I didn't put oil in it, it's the manufacturer for not putting a warning lamp in it (like they would even pay attention to that)

Rotted out cause you or the previous owner didn't keep the salt off, and now you want the manufacturer to step in because you/they were too lazy to keep your vehicle maintained.

Sorry for you, but I spent many a winter day freeing my butt off keeping my vehicles clean, and never had a rust problem. And yep I'm anal about cars, raised that way.

Maybe cause I was raised on a farm, where if you don't take care of your stuff, you either learn to fix it yourself or pay someone to do it. It's called responsibility, something folks seem to have lost.

And our 97 spent it's first 8 years in New Jersey, then somehow ended up in Kansas for a few more, before hitting Florida. It still has the black paint on the frame/control arms/fuel tank skid/etc. Musta been a special one prepped for salt,or someone took the responsibility for maintaining it.

#4 ·
Vehicles of all makes and models that are operated in icy regions are notorious for underbody corrosion for salted roads.

Thats the primary reason their resale value is typically lower than similarly vehicles from non-salted areas.

Product recalls are TREMENDOUSLY expensive because they cost a boat-load of money to impliment on the vehicles effected by the recall AND would effect consumer confidence in the brand...thus reducing sales...thus reducing revenue...

So before ANYBODY would even contemplate the idea...they would have to be shown beyone any shadow of doubt that the problems to be addressed was in some way their "Fault" due to poor design or metallergy. Even then, it is exceptionally unlikely to be able to force a recall unless there is a body-count for a "flaw" causing death or very serious bodily injury...to lots of people.

Unfortunately, on this issue, whether you are riding on salted roadways or salty beaches....pay as much attention to cleaning your undercarriage as you do to washing the rest of your body.

Nobody wants a rotted undercarriage.....reguardless of "fault"

#5 · (Edited)
Recalls are more safety related and unless the frames are causing deaths, it probably wont happen. BUT, a class action lawsuit is with in means of owners.

Just to play devils advocate

if you could prove that Chrysler design flaws in the frame deducted from what was an expected life span of a frame, say compared to other Chrysler's and other comparable vehicles located in the same geographical area. If Ford Explorers are living 15+ years in salty conditions with only surface rust and Jeeps are having major mechanical rot and failure at >8 years, then you could start a class action for design flaws, or simple because they failed to warn you that these jeeps come into local dealers with failures due to salt more than other cars due to their configuration and design.

Or if you could prove that jeeps are rotting from the inside out from all the holes in the frame and spots for salt to hold, with no reasonable/effective way to flush the frame.

BUT, I don't buy in to the mentality that "its the owners fault", "he's the lazy one", "shoulda washed it 17 times a day", " I lick mine to taste for salt after washing and blowdrying the undercarriage, rinse and repeat until clean."

if it's cold enough for salt, its cold enough to freeze out, which means its pretty damn cold to be washing. It comes down to this comparision, if the "salt belt" has NO cars over 8 years old that are rot free, or if there are no JEEPS that are rot free. If jeeps rot faster than the industry norm, their might be a case.

BUT, being almost 15 years old, modified by owners, doing untold stress to the frame...its a long shot

End of devils advocate

i hate class actions though, they only make the lawyers and the one or two primary plaintiffs money, the rest of us get a 5.00 rebate check towards the purchase of a new 2012 JK :nonono::facepalm:

#6 ·
Just for clarification so that nobody gets their nickers in a twist...

I dint meant to imply that the corrosion was the "fault" of the owner due to improper maintenance.

I only intended to say that corrosions, and ther effects there of, can be minimized if owners are cognizant of areas that could benefit from additional attention....and then give those areas that attention.

Kinda like recalling hard-tops or fenders for fading.

#7 ·
I'm with you Vroooom, maintenance should fall on the owner if they know they are in an area that promotes faster vehicle decay because of chemicals used by local DOT.

My dad used to "Ziebart" his Ford vans because of the rust to the lower panels was notorious. Its a shame the factories cant perform something like this in the colder (saltier) climates as a dealer option.

I don't think anything can come from it (recall/class action). Due diligence when purchasing a used vehicle is our only recourse i guess. I personally bought a Jeep from the Chicago area and will never do that again....NM or AZ is the only place to shop for Jeeps in my opinion!

#9 ·
Awesome!!
When did toyota recall 12 year old off-road vehicles for undercarriage corrosion?

I musta missed that one and I know folks with Toyo's that might need to check out their bellies more closely.

#16 ·
That and after 5 or 10 years I'm 99% sure they aren't liable for recall problems on a vehicle.. Recalls are ment for major manufacture defects that are life threatening about the Vehicle Frame rot is something that can be corrected if taken care of in its early stages, pretty much making it a wear and tear item..

#17 ·
It was my understanding that the rot on the frames was in one or two areas. My buddy and I both have severe rot in just one area of the frame.
If this is the case then being in a salt region is not the issue. Keep in mind this is what I have heard.

#18 ·
I put a hitch on mine yesterday it a 12 and theirs NO protection underneath at all . I know a lot of guys that spray used oil under their trucks I did it with my truck it lasted couple months till I wrecked it rain and snow the oil lasted on the frame . I haven't decided between oil or the real undercoating stuff that i hear collects moister and rust under the coating ,

#23 ·
Random but kind of on topic.

My cousin knows someone that basically clears roads of snow, etc.

We briefly talked about snow/car rust, and my cousin said this isn't the 80's, they don't use salt anymore (based on what his friend said).

Thoughts?

#24 ·
backing you on jeep frame recall

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler that has the same issue. Mine became a major safety issue. I was turning a corner and I lost control of the Jeep. The garage where it was towed showed me under the body where on both sides you can put your hand through the frame from the rear end to the doors If I would have step up a couple more times on the platform I would have fallen . You can't even see from looking at the Jeep that there is a issue with this. If I was going faster I could have been killed or kill someone else. Never been near salt water. I filed a complaint with NHTSA. This is where Anyone that has this problem with Frame Rot needs to go first. Chrysler will not listen. I have also contacted Call for action in my area and I need to return they're call tommorow. This is the department that moved toyota on it way to recall the trucks.

#27 ·
dongor said:
I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler that has the same issue. Mine became a major safety issue. I was turning a corner and I lost control of the Jeep. The garage where it was towed showed me under the body where on both sides you can put your hand through the frame from the rear end to the doors If I would have step up a couple more times on the platform I would have fallen . You can't even see from looking at the Jeep that there is a issue with this. If I was going faster I could have been killed or kill someone else. Never been near salt water. I filed a complaint with NHTSA. This is where Anyone that has this problem with Frame Rot needs to go first. Chrysler will not listen. I have also contacted Call for action in my area and I need to return they're call tommorow. This is the department that moved toyota on it way to recall the trucks.
Thanks man ill have to go to them with this and mine is the same way i can fit my hand through the frame its crazy it held up this long

#28 ·
You can all rest assured everyone who has a rotted frame, Chrysler will replace it right after I buy a used frame & replace it myself which will happen in the next few wks.Thats how it usually happens for me.:facepalm:

#29 ·
1jeeplvr said:
You can all rest assured everyone who has a rotted frame, Chrysler will replace it right after I buy a used frame & replace it myself which will happen in the next few wks.Thats how it usually happens for me.:facepalm:
So hurry up and do yours so your bad luck will get me a new frame lol

#31 ·
I fix rust for a living, and want to add my two cents to this old post, jeep frames rust in two areas one is very dangeous it is right where the rear control arms are mounted , on both sides, the reason they rust in this spot is dirt, sand, mud ,grass, water, etc etc etc can get in and can't get out! frames rust from the inside out, normal maintenace will not stop this from happening,

Ever notice that jeeps look great with zero rust on floors fenders etc but yet the frame is gone (the strongest and thickest part of the jeep) great maintenace will preserve the exterior but sooner or later the frame will rot ..

The other area is the tail of the frame where the body mounts are , why ? simple same as above,

I have had jeeps in my shop that looked new and the frames looked good to , until I hit them with a punch and go right through the frame,

I have repaired many a jeep frame with cap kits which is a bandaid to get a few more years out of them and I also spray oil inside the frame rails which helps,

Bottom line is the jeep frame is flawed !! no amount of normal maintenace will solve the rot problem, I mean lets think about this a steel boxed frame rusting away before floor boards!!

CHRSYLER SHOULD REPLACE THE FRAMES JUST LIKE TOYOTA DID!!

#32 ·
RUSTFIXER said:
I fix rust for a living, and want to add my two cents to this old post, jeep frames rust in two areas one is very dangeous it is right where the rear control arms are mounted , on both sides, the reason they rust in this spot is dirt, sand, mud ,grass, water, etc etc etc can get in and can't get out! frames rust from the inside out, normal maintenace will not stop this from happening,

Ever notice that jeeps look great with zero rust on floors fenders etc but yet the frame is gone (the strongest and thickest part of the jeep) great maintenace will preserve the exterior but sooner or later the frame will rot ..

The other area is the tail of the frame where the body mounts are , why ? simple same as above,

I have had jeeps in my shop that looked new and the frames looked good to , until I hit them with a punch and go right through the frame,

I have repaired many a jeep frame with cap kits which is a bandaid to get a few more years out of them and I also spray oil inside the frame rails which helps,

Bottom line is the jeep frame is flawed !! no amount of normal maintenace will solve the rot problem, I mean lets think about this a steel boxed frame rusting away before floor boards!!

CHRSYLER SHOULD REPLACE THE FRAMES JUST LIKE TOYOTA DID!!
Is there a way to drill some small holes in these spots to allow the water to drain?

I think a couple small 1/4" holes is better than a hole you could punch your hand through.
Bryce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.