Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Lifted look (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/lifted-look-134837.html)

HortonBrother 01-22-2012 09:04 PM

Lifted look

anyone have any ideas on how i can make my 4dr jk look lifted and run bigger tires without having to actually purchase a lift kit. Changing shocks, coil springs and or fender flares to ad extra clearance and improve off road capabilities?
Thanks in advance!
p.s. im new to the jeep family :wavey:

HortonBrother 01-22-2012 09:06 PM

Here are some products im looking at. Bushwacker Pocket Style Fender Flares in OEM Style Matte Black Finish for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec
Fox Racing Shox 980-24-887 - Fox Racing Front 2.0" Factory Performance Series Shocks for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 0-6" Lift - Quadratec
Fox Racing Shox 980-24-888 - Fox Racing Rear 2.0" Factory Performance Series Shocks for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 0-6" Lift - QuadratecEibach Springs 2894.620 - Eibach Front Leveling Springs for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Fox Racing Shox 980-02-323 - Fox Racing 2.0 Air Bump 3" Stroke - Quadratec

cavsvet74 01-22-2012 09:10 PM

Welcome to the family.:wavey:

Flat fenders will give the look you're after. You can also try stiffer stock springs. Shocks will not add any lift to the Jeep.

Good luck.

HortonBrother 01-22-2012 09:31 PM

@cavsvet74 what are the advntages of different shocks? Handling?

MudRunner 01-22-2012 09:37 PM

Different shocks will give your Jeep more travel and will likely make for a nicer ride. If you want the "lifted look" but don't want a lift I would recommend flat fenders. The pocket style flares are actually bigger and will lessen the "lifted look" IMO as they drop down farther.

HortonBrother 01-22-2012 09:39 PM

when i was loooking on quadratec the pocket styles flares claim to add 2" of extra clearance while the flat only at 1.5 i think

daggo66 01-22-2012 10:08 PM

I'm pretty sure that 2" is coverage for wider tires.

kjeeper10 01-22-2012 10:09 PM

Makes sense ^

HortonBrother 01-22-2012 11:29 PM

What is tire size do you guys think I can run without modification and If I were to get new flares would I be able to fit like 35's?

suicideking 01-23-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HortonBrother (Post 1950594)
What is tire size do you guys think I can run without modification and If I were to get new flares would I be able to fit like 35's?

33's will fit with no modification. Pretty sure I've read that 35's will fit with flat fenders and trimming the pinch seam.

I like the bushwacker flares and the ones in this pic (yellow Jeep) that I assume are Poison Spyder.

Not sure what is on the blue Jeep, but they look like the bushwackers?

Also, you can get a little bit of lift by putting Rubicon Take off 19/59 springs/shocks on. Depending on what springs/shocks you have now, many have gained 1.5". Cheapest way to get a lift without lifting (installing an actual lift).

Or if you REALLY want the lifted look, GET A LIFT!! :rofl:

BHall1244 01-23-2012 03:39 AM

first off welcome. i am just going to put this out there...im not sure why you dont want a lift, but there are some lift components that are not very expensive and easy to do yourself. personally i would stay away from putting 35's on a stock vehicle. if you ever take that vehicle off road it is going to rub as soon as you leave the pavement. on the other hand if you just want it to look good then more power to you.

1CrzyCelt 01-23-2012 03:54 AM

Not that I have much experience or am mechanically inclined, but you seem to be leaning towards a lift and think this thread will be of good use for you:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/the...ts-128154.html

Personally, I'm going with 32's on my JK and will most likely upgrade springs and shocks, mostly because most offroad bumpers add significant weight. I've been told that the springs alone might give me ruffly 2" of lift. Whether you get a lift or not, you should read the above thread. Important info.

HortonBrother 01-23-2012 08:04 AM

I want a lift but my dad is completely against them so for the time being I'm trying to look good until he caves in to letting me get the lift kit

Daniel_M 01-23-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HortonBrother (Post 1951283)
I want a lift but my dad is completely against them so for the time being I'm trying to look good until he caves in to letting me get the lift kit

Why is he completely against them?? Doesn't sound rational. You could get some stiffer Rubicon springs or a leveling kit.

You don't need Fox Shocks or Air Bumps for what you want, so save the money. Actually most of us don't need Fox Shocks.

-Dan

pkmcd99 01-23-2012 08:19 AM

Wouldnt you need longer front sway bar links if you add the Eibach leveling springs?

Mr. Sinister 01-23-2012 08:27 AM

Spacer lift. It's cheap, easy to install, and "looks" lifted, because it actually is.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...25583023_n.jpg

BHall1244 01-23-2012 10:42 AM

horton why is your dad against it? if you know why he doesnt want you to then maybe you can approach him with the awesome reasons why you should lift it. just a thought...

PA ARCTIC 01-23-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister (Post 1951332)
Spacer lift. It's cheap, easy to install, and "looks" lifted, because it actually is.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...25583023_n.jpg

NICE! what spacer lift?

Mr. Sinister 01-23-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA ARCTIC (Post 1951824)
NICE! what spacer lift?

Thanks!! This one: Synergy Suspension 8018-175 - Synergy Suspension 1-3/4" Synergy Spacer Kit for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

I've been running around on it for a while now, and have nothing negative to say about it. Great bang for the buck.

HortonBrother 01-23-2012 12:57 PM

Hey guys well he keeps saying about how much clearance it already has and he says about how bad the mpg already is and just making it higher will just make the mp worse :( I'm really tryin to convince him to let me get one but I've considered trying to find a used pair of stock rubi suspension

HortonBrother 01-23-2012 12:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Also what is your guys opinions on these

HortonBrother 01-23-2012 01:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some other stuff... Flat fenders on the red an pocket styles on the yellow and a general grabber tire to wrap the fuel throttle

Eaglektd 01-23-2012 01:07 PM

If your dad does let you put in spacers be aware that if you do take her off road that those pucks have the chance of coming out since the only thing holding them in is the weight of the vehicle, a small coil lift is relativly inexpensive and won't fail during articulation on the trail. But if you're just going for looks/mall crawling pucks will do you fine.

kjeeper10 01-23-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HortonBrother
Also what is your guys opinions on these

Expensive :)

kjeeper10 01-23-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Hey guys well he keeps saying about how much clearance it already has and he says about how bad the mpg already is and just making it higher will just make the mp worse :( I'm really tryin to convince him to let me get one but I've considered trying to find a used pair of stock rubi suspension

Not so much the lift. The bigger heavier tires hit you more

HortonBrother 01-23-2012 01:24 PM

I plan to take her offroading but his made reasoning is also it will void warrant an he got me the extended one

IndyJeepMan 01-23-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

I plan to take her offroading but his made reasoning is also it will void warrant an he got me the extended one

A lift will not void the warranty. 100% positive.

What it will void is any coverage to a part that fail because of the aftermarket item you have added.

Lets say a taller lift, but on stock shocks. When you over extended the shocks and ruin them or bottom them out. They wouldnt be covered.

But lets say you lifted your Jeep and the foglight busted, or the ecu burnt up. Those are obviously not caused by a lift.

Eaglektd 01-23-2012 01:31 PM

What's a warranty? :rofl: I guess that does pose a slight issue, though if you were to lift it only the affected suspension parts wouldn't fall under the warranty. Other parts of the vehicle like trans, engine, diffs, etc. would still be covered. I tend to void any warranty that might be on my vehicles as my driveway is not recognized as an "authorized repair facility" even though my attention to detail is way more anal than any grease monkey that would work on my rig.

HortonBrother 01-23-2012 01:34 PM

I need lots of reasons to convince a guy that knows cars and I mean cars not jeeps haha but yea I need reasons :/

suicideking 01-23-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HortonBrother (Post 1951283)

I know what you're going through. My dad is opposed to ANY 4X4 because he's convinced I will roll it. To him, it's as dangerous as riding a motorcycle.

As a result, he doesn't know I bought a Wrangler. I told him I have a Patriot 2WD. I don't want him to worry (or start nagging me...)

When I first got it, I would've sworn that I wouldn't lift it. 2+ months later, I ordered my lift and can't wait. My wife was also opposed to a lift. My constant talking about it finally got her to accept it.

Just keep working at it. You might be able to wear him down.