Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   WF New Member Check In (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/)
-   -   noob here. first jeep. 93 yj 4.0 Sahara (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/noob-here-first-jeep-93-yj-4-0-sahara-135101.html)

itty bitty 01-23-2012 10:47 PM

noob here. first jeep. 93 yj 4.0 Sahara

Heyyyyaahh lol. This thing is so tiny compared to my truck.. lol. But I love it.. I have the Dana 35 that is humming on deceleration... I'm broke. What do I do? Lol. My buddy a true jeeper tells me wait for some one to do an upgrade to there Dana and see if I can get there old Dana for free. I know on gona do some minor trails but nothing ice seem on YouTube.. just want to have some confidence in my jeep for now.. it seems like the pinion is gona blow when ever it feels like now.. maybe just needs oil.. lol.. Ahhhhh. Help. Lol

JDsDream 01-23-2012 11:07 PM

Welcome to the Forum

Try posting your question in the YJ section of the forum for more views and hopefully more replies.

Templar 01-24-2012 04:30 AM

Welcome to WF :)

MrSig 01-24-2012 05:08 AM

Welcome and enjoy the forum!

denisbaldwin 01-24-2012 06:45 AM

Welcome aboard! I would definitely change out the fluid for some nice synthetic (Redline, etc.) and see if the noise goes away. I've taken completely trashed diffs, removed the chunks that broke off, refilled with Redline and driven them for many miles. Just depends on how bad the damage is.

blkrubi88 01-24-2012 07:27 AM

Welcome!

Barrie 01-24-2012 07:30 AM

Welcome:wavey:

onejsmith 01-24-2012 07:44 AM

Newb

Quote:

Originally Posted by itty bitty (Post 1954076)
Heyyyyaahh lol. This thing is so tiny compared to my truck.. lol. But I love it.. I have the Dana 35 that is humming on deceleration... I'm broke. What do I do? Lol. My buddy a true jeeper tells me wait for some one to do an upgrade to there Dana and see if I can get there old Dana for free. I know on gona do some minor trails but nothing ice seem on YouTube.. just want to have some confidence in my jeep for now.. it seems like the pinion is gona blow when ever it feels like now.. maybe just needs oil.. lol.. Ahhhhh. Help. Lol

I would try to diagnose the problem to KNOW what is going on before getting too excited about replacing an axle. You may just have a bearing failing that is not too expensive to replace if you can do the work.

The D35 is not one of your first choices for a good axle. If you are going to change the entire axle, try to upgrade to a D44 or one of the other axles you can get with the same gear ratio.

The D35 will do you a good job if you're not adding larger tires and taking it off road on class 6 or above trails. For the average wheeler, it will do the job. But for someone who goes off-highway a lot, it is a weak link.

Pull the diff cover and check for pieces in the oil after you thoroughly check all the possibilities (axle bearings, pinion bearings, transfer case bearings).
With the cover off you can see the wear pattern on the gears and check back lash etc. What you find will determine a lot about what direction to go from there.

Beastmaster 01-24-2012 07:50 AM

Welcome to the forum!

_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

itty bitty 01-24-2012 07:57 AM

I am mechanically inclined. Done engine swaps and things like that. But never any pumpkin work or axle stuff.. I have 31" tires on it. And I can't seem to figure out exactly where the noise is coming from. Pumpkin or axle.... I'm gona change fluid first, seeing as I just got the vehicle and who knows last time it was done and if its been "swimming" ill inspect while cover is off... But that's the problem. Not sure what I'm looking at, or what to look for. Aside from the obvious sparkle of metal in fluid or chunks..

onejsmith 01-25-2012 09:40 AM

New Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by itty bitty (Post 1954833)
I am mechanically inclined. Done engine swaps and things like that. But never any pumpkin work or axle stuff.. I have 31" tires on it. And I can't seem to figure out exactly where the noise is coming from. Pumpkin or axle.... I'm gona change fluid first, seeing as I just got the vehicle and who knows last time it was done and if its been "swimming" ill inspect while cover is off... But that's the problem. Not sure what I'm looking at, or what to look for. Aside from the obvious sparkle of metal in fluid or chunks..

Before you remove the diff cover, raise at least the rear end off the ground and set it up where you can run it in gear off the ground. Make sure it is stable!

Put it in gear and then crawl under with a stethoscope. Listen to the various bearings (pinion, both axle brgs, carrier brgs, and transfer case. You may hear the difference in one or more that will tell you better where the noise is coming from.
If it is gear noise, it may not show up this way because it is free wheeling with no load, but that is OK. Check for leaks on the axle too. That may tell you something.
You might want to look at the brakes just to be sure that's not what you're hearing as well.

Once you pull the diff cover, look for flakes in the oil and chunks in the bottom. If something is truly going bad, you will find some metal of some kind.
You'll need a manual that shows the proper wear patterns on the ring and pinion. Check yours against the manual to see if it is running OK. Check the back lash if all that looks good just for a reference too.

You might want to be very suspect of your U-joints too. Check them for any kind of movement.
If you have a friend with gear experience, get them to come over while all this is going on.
Good luck. :)

itty bitty 01-25-2012 01:51 PM

Dropped it off for the pinion bearing. $275 way more than I expected. But I need it fixed and I don't have the tools to do it.. also found out the driveshaft yolk is lose. So as soon as I get it back I back to do that. :( I think I'm in over my head. This thing is gona cost me an ARM and a leg to get it road worthy.

shell 01-25-2012 06:53 PM

Welcome!:wavey: