Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Xpel Ultimate Wrap Write Up (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/xpel-ultimate-wrap-write-up-135110.html)

PieFace 01-23-2012 10:59 PM

Xpel Ultimate Wrap Write Up

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone,

Anyone who has read any of my posts knows I bought my jeep and the paint was disappointing to say the least. Swirled like crazy and a little scratched. It was like the dealer dried it with steel wool.

I wanted black, knowing what a pain it would be to keep in good condition, and I have seen other jeeps in black that look just awful. I was looking for a solution that didnt mean that I would have to really take super good care of it. Its a jeep after all. But that dosent mean it cant look good.

I found Xpel with a wrap that they say heals and prevents swirl marks and other scratches. The warranty on the wrap is ten years. So I wrapped the whole jeep in it. The installer is almost as important as the wrap, and I found a guy who put up with me, wich is to his credit, Im not an easy buyer.

The wrap was xpel ultimate, and the installer was Executive Paint Protection in Bronx NY.

This is how it looked when I dropped it off.......

PieFace 01-23-2012 11:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I cant seem to put multiple pics on one post so this is going to be a lot of posts. Forgive me.

Doug from executive paint protection polished out the swirls and scratches, made it look like the dealer should have.

Also stripped the badges and the RUBICON off the hood.

PieFace 01-23-2012 11:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the nose badge coming off. The paint underneith wasn not in great shape. Its the only real gripe ive got so far.

Took the badge off and the paint is a little imperfect.

tracie 01-24-2012 06:56 AM

so, i'm a bit confused. if the vehicle already has swirl marks; will covering it remove those as well, or is it just for future protection?

VASYLfromUKRAINE 01-24-2012 07:06 AM

how much?

kjeeper10 01-24-2012 07:25 AM

Interested

Ya how much and what exactly is it?

VASYLfromUKRAINE 01-24-2012 07:32 AM

its slear wrap film,i did the same with my passat 4 years ago. pay 200$ for bymper and hood. but for jeep maybe cosr more money

kjeeper10 01-24-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VASYLfromUKRAINE
its slear wrap film,i did the same with my passat 4 years ago. pay 200$ for bymper and hood. but for jeep maybe cosr more money

Oh ok.

Ya... I googled it. Seems to be more for "edges" like front of hood, bumper, windshield frame. That's it. Whole jeep must be expensive?

I do have a installer 15m from me :)

Riccochet 01-24-2012 07:46 AM

I have the 3M on the front of my 240sx and GSR. Looks and works great for keeping your paint from chipping.

Yeah, OP, how much did the whole vehicle cost?

VASYLfromUKRAINE 01-24-2012 08:35 AM

i shop here in nj to do wraping all jeep cost 2000$

kjeeper10 01-24-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VASYLfromUKRAINE

:eek:

A paint job!!

JIMBOX 01-24-2012 08:59 AM

:whistling: Mothers California "GOLD" Carnuba cleaning wax-

Twice a year, most importantly--IMMEDIATELY after jeep delivery and if, going off-road (perish the thought), where there's a lotta heavy brush--apply quickly to sides and don't buff off-till later cleanup-

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/SUNP0171.jpg

Of course, thats yellow and nothing can compare to black, but if you CHOOSE black, that wax is a cheap yearly savior

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

strider_mt2k 01-24-2012 11:43 AM

Screw that. I'm going full bubble-wrap.

VASYLfromUKRAINE 01-24-2012 11:44 AM

stride make sure u put 2 layer

kjeeper10 01-24-2012 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by strider_mt2k

:thumb:

Tried DIY but did not work out :(

PieFace 01-25-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracie (Post 1954831)
so, i'm a bit confused. if the vehicle already has swirl marks; will covering it remove those as well, or is it just for future protection?

The truck had to be polished to get the swirl marks out before the film could go on.

Once it was polished to a level where the paint looked wet, the film went on.

If there were swirl marks, you could see them through the film.

PieFace 01-25-2012 09:08 AM

more pics

1 Attachment(s)
here is the next stage

the jeep still getting polished

PieFace 01-25-2012 09:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the wrap begins

PieFace 01-25-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strider_mt2k (Post 1955661)

Thats basicly what this is, you guys may think im off my rocker, but Im planning to keep this jeep until the wheels fall off.

PieFace 01-25-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VASYLfromUKRAINE (Post 1955065)

Thats what this install cost.

PieFace 01-25-2012 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Working on the fender

PieFace 01-25-2012 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More wrap

MTH 01-25-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PieFace (Post 1958994)
Thats basicly what this is, you guys may think im off my rocker, but Im planning to keep this jeep until the wheels fall off.

I suspect this won't be my style, but I'm interested to see how it turns out nonetheless. Did you consider Line-Xing the exterior of the Jeep? If so, what pushed you in this direction versus that? I'm not asking because I think you should have Line-Xed instead, but simply because that's the other type of "total exterior" treatment I've seen done.

Red Sahara 01-25-2012 09:18 AM

If the Jeep was polished before and the swirls were removed, this should work. I just use a Porter Cable 7424 and some good old Poorboys SSR2.5 when I need to. Keeps the Red Jeep swirl free and looking good.

PieFace 01-25-2012 09:19 AM

There are about a million pictures

Im planning to post them,

If you cant wait, you can see them on the executive paint protection website-

Executive Paint Protection: photo gallery

PieFace 01-25-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1959024)
I suspect this won't be my style, but I'm interested to see how it turns out nonetheless. Did you consider Line-Xing the exterior of the Jeep? If so, what pushed you in this direction versus that? I'm not asking because I think you should have Line-Xed instead, but simply because that's the other type of "total exterior" treatment I've seen done.

I completely considered the line-x full paint job.

I didnt trust it tho. Its brand new where i found it in texas, and they guarantee that it wont fade, but Ive seen line-x fade before, and felt that they didnt have enough trucks on the road to make that claim.

And if it does fade, what then? chip it off? Seemed like a nightmare waiting to happen. I didnt want to do anything to the jeep that couldnt be undone. This wrap "self Heals" so it should stay in place and light scratches will disappear over time.

Riccochet 01-25-2012 11:30 AM

I wouldn't say it "self heals". That's a b.s. claim. This is the same wrap as the 3M I have on my cars. I gets scratched, it stays scratched. It gets nicked, it stays nicked. The wrap I have on the hood and front fascia of my race cars look like they've been sand blasted from high speed driving. It never healed. You can't polish it out. It's just there. But the paint under it has not been damaged at all.

Also works great on headlights to keep them from oxidizing and fading out.

Oh yeah, you'll probably have to have some panels re-done after a couple years. It won't start peeling, but it'll start to look like tihs from everyday abuse (salt, road debris, tree rash, ect)

lyle.ross.jones 01-25-2012 11:36 AM

Looks good. I only had my hood, fenders and freedom tops. Wish I would have done the whole thing

JandS 01-25-2012 11:48 AM

I have used this on a few cars and I plan on using it on the Wrangler because the front grill always gets hammered by highway rocks/sand/etc.

I don't see the point of doing the whole vehicle, however. This stuff scratches just like paint and it "yellows" over time. To me, it's use is limited to the areas that always get chipped with the idea that before selling the car you car remove the film and have a nice, unclipped surface.

My biggest question is where to stop the film on the front. There aren't too many natural points for them to stop the film.

PieFace 01-25-2012 04:23 PM

Here is the video of the wrap self healing. I dont work for xpel and was just as leery about it. I made them send me a sample of the wrap so I could scratch it up myself.

I used a brass wire brush from my gun cleaning kit and installed the wrap on a cookie sheet from my kitchen. Then did like they do in this video. Rubbed the hell out of the wrap with the wire brush until the marks were clearly visible.

They use warm water in the video to speed up the healing. And that works. My truck is outside in NJ and heat is neccessary for the healing to happen quickly. So Ill need a sunny day to scratch up the truck and test it without water.

Here is the vid from xpel

XPEL Ultimate Paint Protection Film / Clear Bra Self Healing Demo - YouTube