Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Does the Confederate Flag Offend You? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/does-the-confederate-flag-offend-you-135115.html)

PTWarrior66 01-24-2012 12:40 AM

Does the Confederate Flag Offend You?

Discuss.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gK7uHltSOB...g-bikini-1.jpg

CoyoteOn2 01-24-2012 12:50 AM

Nope! Neither does the Gadsden Flag.
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...n2/Gadsden.jpg
"Don't Tread on Me" cause I support the 2nd.

Bs13855 01-24-2012 02:02 AM

Nope. She wears the flag ohhhhhh so well.

denisbaldwin 01-24-2012 06:14 AM

Nope. I don't understand the nature of being offended by relics of a historical event. To me, it's the same as being offended by a space shuttle blowing up so you don't think humans should go to space.. or being offended by hummers so you don't think 4wd should exist. To me, the history that is connected to the confederacy shaped the United States into what it is. Good or bad, this would be a much different place if either the South won or if there was no war in the first place and the United States was two separate countries. Either way, part of history and not much sense in getting upset by it.

PecosRiver 01-24-2012 06:48 AM

WAIT! I want to change my answer from NO to YES! I demand that she remove that swimsuit immediately!

Ichabod 01-24-2012 06:56 AM

I would have said no a few years ago. It's just a flag/symbol.

Then Sept. 11, and that image of the firefighters raising our flag over the rubble

Then some kids out west somewhere tore down the US flag at a school and replaced it with the Mexican flag. There are/were some folks doing that in various places on US soil.

That pissed me off.

The folks that wave the confederate flag around or put CSA stickers on bumpers are the same folks that will tell other people that they shouldn't fly the flag of their heritage or country.

Stupid.

In the end, you wanna be proud?

Fly this one
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...lvxZHEsIa1n10-

Or even your state flag.

blackforestgreen 01-24-2012 07:04 AM

hmmm, confederate flag, flown by the southern states during the civil war, fighting to keep slavery, who would be offended.

Ichabod 01-24-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PecosRiver (Post 1954815)
WAIT! I want to change my answer from NO to YES! I demand that she remove that swimsuit immediately!

:thumb: :D

BramblerAbercrombie 01-24-2012 07:34 AM

I'm not offended by it, but I really believe its flown to offend. It says a lot about that person's values and ideals. Everyone knows you're going to invoke certain sentiments by hanging it from your truck for all to see and the message is, "F you and your sentiments". Bottom line is, people know what they're really doing when they fly the stars and bars. Let's not pretend they don't.

Drakea94 01-24-2012 07:58 AM

Bacon

jkaufman_95 01-24-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PecosRiver

^ this!

1CrzyCelt 01-24-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BramblerAbercrombie (Post 1954895)
I'm not offended by it, but I really believe its flown to offend. It says a lot about that person's values and ideals. Everyone knows you're going to invoke certain sentiments by hanging it from your truck for all to see and the message is, "F you and your sentiments". Bottom line is, people know what they're really doing when they fly the stars and bars. Let's not pretend they don't.

Totally agree. Everyone knows that someone will be offended by the display of the Confederate Flag, so why fly it unless your purpose is to intentionally offend or arouse controversy?

ClayL 01-24-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1CrzyCelt

Totally agree. Everyone knows that someone will be offended by the display of the Confederate Flag, so why fly it unless your purpose is to intentionally offend or arouse controversy?

Everyone gets offended by something. I get offended whenever I see the mexican flag flow here, especially over the American flag. I've ripped down my fair share to fix the problem

Vroooom 01-24-2012 08:31 AM

My personal opinion:
The Confederate Flag doesnt represent racial oppression. Most people dont choose to remember that Lincoln offered to "let" the slave states keep their slaves. But its fun to remember him as a liberator.
To me, the Confederate Flag represents resistance to POLITICAL and ECONOMIC oppression. (Federalism....seem framiliar?)

I dont have one, dont wear one, dont wave one, but dont object to them either.

I consider myself to be fairly resilient and durable...kinda like a Jeep :)

I simply choose not to let other people offend me.

Now....

As to the the original question, though....uhhhh....no objections what-so-ever.

Giggidy-Giggidy

1CrzyCelt 01-24-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakea94 (Post 1954963)
Bacon

great, now I'm hungry AGAIN:banghead:

1CrzyCelt 01-24-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClayL (Post 1955047)
Everyone gets offended by something. I get offended whenever I see the mexican flag flow here, especially over the American flag. I've ripped down my fair share to fix the problem

I'm with you on the flying of another country's flag over the American Flag.

Pmedg 01-24-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTWarrior66 (Post 1954453)

ummmmm....Yes Please!

DaisyCutter 01-24-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichabod (Post 1954830)

Then some kids out west somewhere tore down the US flag at a school and replaced it with the Mexican flag.

That pissed me off.

Stupid.

That event took place at Apache Junction High School. The Mexican students put the Mexican flag over the USA flag. The ROTC students, including my little brother, took down the Mexican flag. His best friend burned the flag. The principal demanded the burner be jailed, and the kid spent the night in the poke. The charges didn't stick.

I suggest we update the Mexican flag, and replace the eagle with American food stamps.

As for the Confederate flag, context is everything.

Jwood621 01-24-2012 09:20 AM

The only time I would be offended by the Confederate flag (or any flag for that matter) is if it was raised above the American flag.

topher38 01-24-2012 09:22 AM

A guy at my school wore a shirt with the confederate flag he got suspended cuz he refused to take it off. So dumb. I hated falcon I'm so glad I'm not there anymore

topher38 01-24-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaisyCutter

That event took place at Apache Junction High School. The Mexican students put the Mexican flag over the USA flag. The ROTC students, including my little brother, took down the Mexican flag. His best friend burned the flag. The principal demanded the burner be jailed, and the kid spent the night in the poke. The charges didn't stick.

I suggest we update the Mexican flag, and replace the eagle with American food stamps.

Hahahaha agreed

Which presidential canadit was the one who said that "when he becomes president he's making English the spoken language of the us"
So no more pressing one for English. I'm not a racial guy but that SH*T pisses me off

jkaufman_95 01-24-2012 09:29 AM

Press one for english
Press two to go home until you learn how to.

topher38 01-24-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkaufman_95
Press one for english

My grandpas answering machine says
" hi we are unavailable, please no soliciters. Also please press 1 for English. If not press 2...the second you press to it hangs up lol

ClayL 01-24-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkaufman_95
Press one for english

Right?? That should be a requirement! I've got some Mexican friends, and they say it even pisses them off when people speak Spanish more than English.

jkaufman_95 01-24-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topher38

My grandpas answering machine says
" hi we are unavailable, please no soliciters. Also please press 1 for English. If not press 2...the second you press to it hangs up lol

That's awesome!

jkaufman_95 01-24-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClayL

Right?? That should be a requirement! I've got some Mexican friends, and they say it even pisses them off when people speak Spanish more than English.

Now, my brother in law is Puerto Rican. He speaks Spanish with his family and my sister, but if I walk up (I don't speak Spanish) he immediately stops and starts speaking english. I appreciate that.

topher38 01-24-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClayL

That's why when I had to live in aurora for 3 months I almost went on a rampage. But I have to say what topped the list to piss me off was when I saw that in that k-mart the Spanish signs where hung above the English signs.

1CrzyCelt 01-24-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaisyCutter (Post 1955201)

If I were that kids parents, I'd sue for unlawful imprisonment. Burning flags is protected freedom of speech according to the US supreme corruptors.....err I mean, court, yeah Court:hide:

Tdog02 01-24-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vroooom
My personal opinion:
The Confederate Flag doesnt represent racial oppression. Most people dont choose to remember that Lincoln offered to "let" the slave states keep their slaves. But its fun to remember him as a liberator.
To me, the Confederate Flag represents resistance to POLITICAL and ECONOMIC oppression. (Federalism....seem framiliar?)

I dont have one, dont wear one, dont wave one, but dont object to them either.

I consider myself to be fairly resilient and durable...kinda like a Jeep :)

I simply choose not to let other people offend me.

Now....

As to the the original question, though....uhhhh....no objections what-so-ever.

Giggidy-Giggidy

X1000 on this, nailed it!!!

JDsDream 01-24-2012 09:53 AM

History is history. It cannot be changed by removing the symbolism.