Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Plasti-Dip Passenger Footwell (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/plasti-dip-passenger-footwell-135142.html)

MTH 01-24-2012 08:49 AM

Plasti-Dip Passenger Footwell

4 Attachment(s)
Folks,

Unless you've been living under a rock, you may have noticed the frequency of passenger footwell leaks we see here. (Like oh, say, this one, or this one, or this one . . . or this one, this one, this one, this one, this one . . . or this one, etc.)

Well, water collects there in mine too. My plan has long been just to pull the carpet and bedline it, but this is a multi-day project I don't have the time to do right. (Like this great job with Monstaliner here.)

So I decided to take a shortcut temporary fix. There is almost ZERO prep involved.

All I did was remove the carpet and drain plugs from the offending area, clean it out with a damp paper towel, dry it out with a dry paper towel, hit it with four coats of spray-on Plasti-Dip, then put down my slush mat.

No sanding the clear coat. No chiseling out the sound deadener. No rollers, brushes, or pump or pressurized sprayers. No primer. Heck, I didn't even tape off anything to avoid overspray. I just used an eraser to rub any oversprayed Plasti-Dip off of the console area, and it came off perfectly. If I don't like it or it starts to look ratty, I can either spray on more to touch it up or just peel it out like rubber (see here on removal).

Total cost: $5. I expect it'll hold up okay until I'm ready to commit to a full on bedlining project. :thumb:

Just thought I'd share.

tabber02 01-24-2012 08:56 AM

thanks for sharing. man that looks like a fantastic idea on the cheap! let us know how it holds up.. :thumb:

i'm with you, i sure would like to Linex my JK.. but that's super low on the list of things to get done..

-Bob

sneck 01-24-2012 09:02 AM

nice, looks good. I'll be curious to see how it holds up, especially through the winter! i know the plasti dip on my taillight guards is all ready chipping, but it was on chrome so I wasn't expecting much

MTH 01-24-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02 (Post 1955125)
let us know how it holds up.. :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneck (Post 1955142)
I'll be curious to see how it holds up, especially through the winter!

I'm actually fairly optimistic about it's holding up.

It's inside the jeep and even with the top off it's not likely to get too much of a beating from the sun, so I think that will help. I also don't have front seat passengers too much, but in any event I put back the slush mat figuring that having somebody's heels resting there whenever I do have a passenger wouldn't be good for longevity.

If I get my five bucks worth, I'll be happy! :rofl:

tabber02 01-24-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1955164)
I'm actually fairly optimistic about it's holding up.

If I get my five bucks worth, I'll be happy! :rofl:

Pretty sure you've already got that! It looks good, you're right... the slush mat should help it out with the sun and any abusive passengers. :banghead:

4-legged passengers are in the back anyways! :punk:

-bob

MTH 01-24-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02

Pretty sure you've already got that! It looks good, you're right... the slush mat should help it out wit the sun and any abusive passengers. :banghead:

4-legged passengers are in the back anyways! :punk:

-bob

And that's a good point--It could surprise me after it cures for a little while, but right now I would not expect this would be very good for anything with claws.

Part of the appeal of Plasti-Dip is that you can get a fingernail under it and peel it off like a rubber sticker. Claws, I would think, would tear it up pretty quickly.

But this is truthfully the first time I've ever used the stuff, so we'll see how it goes. :thumb:

Kate 01-24-2012 09:27 AM

Husky tub mats, work for me!
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/v/vspfiles...rLiners-2T.jpg
When I get a leak, they hold it till I can wipe it up.
Keep the carpet pretty clean too even after I've cut them to fit around my cage.

MTH 01-24-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 1955231)
Husky tub mats, work for me!

When I get a leak, they hold it till I can wipe it up.
Keep the carpet pretty clean too even after I've cut them to fit around my cage.

See, I like the liners too, and was considering going that route. (Indeed, I still may, given that I'm only a whopping $5 bucks into what is an acknowledged temporary fix.) And the Husky's are supposed to be good. Weathertech too. The Q-tec ones seem to be hit-or-miss on whether they warp or not.

Regardless, what's steering me away from the liners is that I'm pretty sure the way the leak comes in would go UNDER any liners I put in. The water appears to be weasling in right over (and perhaps under) the interior door sill guard. See that black plastic to the left of the liner in your pic? The water comes in right along that and decends into the carpet--i.e., I'd expect it'd go right between the liner and the door sill guard.

So I'd still be stuck with wet carpet, meaning the carpet would still have to come out, and I'd still be stuck with a blue interior unless I bedlined/Pasti-Dipped/whatever it. :(

Unlimited.Kev 01-24-2012 10:27 AM

Same leak issue here, I took the long weekend of prep and bit the dust to have it Line-X'd. Well worth it.

MTH 01-24-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited.Kev (Post 1955439)
Same leak issue here, I took the long weekend of prep and bit the dust to have it Line-X'd. Well worth it.

No doubt, that's the plan eventually. Though I'll have to decide between doing it DIY or getting it professionally sprayed. If you don't mind me asking, how much did getting it Line-Xed cost given that you did much of the prep?

Unlimited.Kev 01-24-2012 11:11 AM

With me doing all the prep, the guys in Burlington did the base liner for $600 and I upgraded to the premium for an additional $100. The premium gives it a little gloss and UV protection.

Unlimited.Kev 01-24-2012 11:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Prep pics...

I need to get some after pics.

MTH 01-24-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited.Kev (Post 1955569)
With me doing all the prep, the guys in Burlington did the base liner for $600 and I upgraded to the premium for an additional $100. The premium gives it a little gloss and UV protection.

These guys? That's only about 40 minutes from my house . . . . And of course, the good DIY kits run close to $300 . . . .

Unlimited.Kev 01-24-2012 11:18 AM

Really pleased with those guys. I work in Asheboro and dropped it off in the morning..picked it up,that afternoon. Really careful and detailed work.

MTH 01-24-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited.Kev (Post 1955576)
Prep pics...

I need to get some after pics.

Please do get some after pics. Is that bondo or something I see in the corners there? What was the thinking with that?

Unlimited.Kev 01-24-2012 11:27 AM

Pics later today. I pulled the ugly seam goop out along with the sound material...that is just primer you see because I got down to bare metal in a few places.

4fit 01-24-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited.Kev (Post 1955589)
Really pleased with those guys. I work in Asheboro and dropped it off in the morning..picked it up,that afternoon. Really careful and detailed work.

Didn't even realize we had another Line-X person in Burlington besides Lakeside Campers on Webb Ave. Think they are called Leonard now or something. Is the place you used the same place that does JetHot coating and stuff, out off the highway near the Whitesett area?

On edit: Nevermind. Looks like its the same place. Wonder what they would charge to Line-X my grill. hhmm...

MTH 01-24-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited.Kev (Post 1955619)
Pics later today. I pulled the ugly seam goop out along with the sound material...that is just primer you see because I got down to bare metal in a few places.

Is that safe? What is the purpose of the seam goop? I would've assumed it was holding the seams, ya know, TOGETHER. :confused:

Unlimited.Kev 01-24-2012 11:44 AM

Just like chalk...fills in the gaps, no structural strength to it.

Unlimited.Kev 01-24-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit
Didn't even realize we had another Line-X person in Burlington besides Lakeside Campers on Webb Ave. Think they are called Leonard now or something. Is the place you used the same place that does JetHot coating and stuff, out off the highway near the Whitesett area?

On edit: Nevermind. Looks like its the same place. Wonder what they would charge to Line-X my grill. hhmm...

I'd like to do my grill also. I might do that as a DIY project.

Unlimited.Kev 01-24-2012 12:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
After pics...

Unlimited.Kev 01-24-2012 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's just grass on the floor in the last pic...

MTH 01-24-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited.Kev (Post 1955799)
After pics...

Very nice. Definitely something I'm interested in. It'll be interesting to see how this Plasti-Dip holds up (of course, for $5 bucks and a small area of application, it's going to be hard to complain very much), but the full Line-Ex treatment is really something. :thumb:

Unlimited.Kev 01-24-2012 12:50 PM

Plasti-dip is a good idea. Wish I had thought about that while waiting to Line-X mine.

4fit 01-24-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited.Kev (Post 1955792)
I'd like to do my grill also. I might do that as a DIY project.

I did my grill in plasti-dip, and it is holding up just fine. But it was always just to tie me over til I get it Line-X'd.:thumb:

Unlimited.Kev 01-24-2012 12:54 PM

If you get a price on the grill, let me know.

1CrzyCelt 01-24-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited.Kev (Post 1955799)
After pics...

:thumb::thumb:
That's awesome. Definately on the long list

4fit 01-24-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited.Kev (Post 1955844)
If you get a price on the grill, let me know.

Will do. :thumb:

MTH 01-24-2012 08:42 PM

Bump for the evening folks who might also find this (and Unlimited.Kev's bedliner) kinda cool . . . :punk:

isitme 01-24-2012 08:48 PM

thanks Mike! I do.