Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Huge rear bumper review thread (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/huge-rear-bumper-review-thread-135184.html)

1CrzyCelt 01-24-2012 01:36 PM

Huge rear bumper review thread
 
Ok, since someone on another thread suggested something like this:

Here are the rules:
1. post a picture of YOUR after market bumper after install (if possible, a before install picture of your Jeep as well)
2. list suspension mods already existing on your rig
3. intended use (rock crawling, DD, Mudding, light trail, etc)
4. list the following:

manufacturer
construction material(s)
weight of bumper
ease of installation
modifications needed
where purchased
cost
satisfaction

All bumper mods welcome

:popcorn:

1CrzyCelt 02-04-2012 11:40 AM

bump
 
Anyone wanna do a review of their rear bumpers? or a review of a bumper mod gone bad?

:popcorn:

kbwwolf 02-04-2012 11:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I kinda included my rear in the Huge Front Bumper Review, but here's the info again, for those just looking for rear bumpers.

Mine's the Rampage Recovery bumper. I wanted a one-piece bumper to minimize areas where road salt could get into it in the winter and start chowing down. Also something with shackles that would stand up to towing/recovery needs.

Both front and rear are all steel.

The rear weighs about 95 lbs. Also has two recovery points with d-rings. Only downside to the rear is that there's no tire carrier. But I'm planning on adding an OR-FAB carrier in the Spring, so didn't need one built into the bumper.

I bought the powdercoated black version. They also come in semi-gloss.

They were shockingly easy to install. If you've got somebody to help hold em in place while you start a couple bolts, you can handle this job. :D

No grinding and no cussing was necessary.

Amazon had the best price on these bumpers by a wide margin. Plus free shipping. Front was $480 and change. Rear was more (oddly) at $520.

An added bonus (for me) were the cutouts for fog lights in the rear. I installed a set of Rampage rear fogs ($70, iirc) and ran the wires directly to my sPOD.

I'm happy all the way around.

Some pics:

Attachment 94837

Attachment 94838

Vendafreddo11 02-04-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf
I kinda included my rear in the Huge Front Bumper Review, but here's the info again, for those just looking for rear bumpers.

Mine's the Rampage Recovery bumper. I wanted a one-piece bumper to minimize areas where road salt could get into it in the winter and start chowing down. Also something with shackles that would stand up to towing/recovery needs.

Both front and rear are all steel.

The rear weighs about 95 lbs. Also has two recovery points with d-rings. Only downside to the rear is that there's no tire carrier. But I'm planning on adding an OR-FAB carrier in the Spring, so didn't need one built into the bumper.

I bought the powdercoated black version. They also come in semi-gloss.

They were shockingly easy to install. If you've got somebody to help hold em in place while you start a couple bolts, you can handle this job. :D

No grinding and no cussing was necessary.

Amazon had the best price on these bumpers by a wide margin. Plus free shipping. Front was $480 and change. Rear was more (oddly) at $520.

An added bonus (for me) were the cutouts for fog lights in the rear. I installed a set of Rampage rear fogs ($70, iirc) and ran the wires directly to my sPOD.

I'm happy all the way around.

Some pics:

How will the OR-FAB tire carrier work with the rampage bumper? I really like that bumper but I need the tire carrier.

kbwwolf 02-04-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vendafreddo11 (Post 1993794)
How will the OR-FAB tire carrier work with the rampage bumper? I really like that bumper but I need the tire carrier.

The OR-FAB mounts to the tailgate on heavy-duty replacement hinges, which bear the weight of the spare tire.

I'm currently running a Smittybilt Oversize tire carrier w/ a 35" spare on it. Working okay for now, but probably not a good long-term solution. Hence, the OR-FAB.

Here's a link:

OR-FAB 85208BB - OR-FAB Swing-A-Way Tire Carrier for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Cigar196 02-04-2012 01:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1CrzyCelt
Ok, since someone on another thread suggested something like this:

Here are the rules:
1. post a picture of YOUR after market bumper after install (if possible, a before install picture of your Jeep as well)
2. list suspension mods already existing on your rig
3. intended use (rock crawling, DD, Mudding, light trail, etc)
4. list the following:

manufacturer
construction material(s)
weight of bumper
ease of installation
modifications needed
where purchased
cost
satisfaction

All bumper mods welcome

:popcorn:

Before and after pics to begin
I'm running the Rugged Ridge read XHD bumper. It's black powder coated steel with 2 included XL d-ring type recovery points. The bumper weighs about 95lbs. The install was actually very simple and took about an hour including removing the factory bumper. I got it from autoanything .com for $465.00 shipped. So far I love it. I'm running 33's and decided to stay with the factory spare holder (for now) but may buy the spare carrier for the bumper up the road.

wrangler0 02-04-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigar196 (Post 1993961)
Before and after pics to begin
I'm running the Rugged Ridge read XHD bumper. It's black powder coated steel with 2 included XL d-ring type recovery points. The bumper weighs about 95lbs. The install was actually very simple and took about an hour including removing the factory bumper. I got it from autoanything .com for $465.00 shipped. So far I love it. I'm running 33's and decided to stay with the factory spare holder (for now) but may buy the spare carrier for the bumper up the road.

How'd you get it for such a low price?
Their website has it listed at $609

kbwwolf 02-04-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler0 (Post 1993991)
How'd you get it for such a low price?
Their website has it listed at $609

Sure you're not looking at the aluminum version? Sounds like you might be...

Cigar196 02-04-2012 01:23 PM

They had a 20% off deal and free shipping going. That site routinely has 10% off and I think is always free shipping. Sign up for emails from them and they notify you of extra savings deals that are at times 24hrs only.

wrangler0 02-04-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 1993996)
Sure you're not looking at the aluminum version? Sounds like you might be...

Nope, I'm not....the rear non-aluminum XHD bumper is usually around $600 on most websites, I've never seen it as low as $465 shipped.

wrangler0 02-04-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigar196 (Post 1994008)
They had a 20% off deal and free shipping going. That site routinely has 10% off and I think is always free shipping. Sign up for emails from them and they notify you of extra savings deals that are at times 24hrs only.

Good to know...thanks!
(I see they have 15% off for first time customers at the moment)

Sorry for hijacking the thread! :)

Cigar196 02-04-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler0

Good to know...thanks!

Sorry for hijacking the thread! :)

No worries.... I jumped all over the deal
Because I couldn't believe it myself lol


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.