Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Getting ready to buy a new 2012 Wrangler. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/getting-ready-to-buy-a-new-2012-wrangler-135340.html)

Arterious 01-25-2012 08:51 AM

Getting ready to buy a new 2012 Wrangler.

Greetings all, I've been wanting a jeep for a long while now, with my truck fully paid off and about to start depreciating like mad, and the new 2012 having that purty new engine I had some questions before I leap. I'm looking to get a Wrangler Sport, auto, with the basic features. Can't afford a Rubicon ... yet... I always preferred a stiffer ride in a vehicle, always owned trucks etc. Plan on test driving the 2012 to make sure I like the fit etc. What do you all recommend to look out for a new buyer that you yourself missed or believe to be most important to check for when jumping into a Wrangler?

MTH 01-25-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arterious (Post 1958937)
What do you all recommend to look out for a new buyer that you yourself missed or believe to be most important to check for when jumping into a Wrangler?

Nothing really. If you were buying used, then there's stuff you'd want to check, but this is a new vehicle. Otherwise, just make sure you test drive it under a variety of circumstances and take advantage of either Tread Lightly or some other similar discount program.

Abdul-Hakeem 01-25-2012 09:35 AM

I had a bad bolt on one of the doors (the bolts used for door removal), might want to check those. Also, the electric connector things you have to unplug were *really* hard to undo, and not the same design in the manual. I would check all the pieces you need to use to remove the doors, based on this.

Cudda 01-25-2012 09:43 AM

Be sure the doors don't leak!

Ballandchain 01-25-2012 09:46 AM

Gears!!! Drive the 3.21's and the 3.73's an see what you like. Decide if you want/need a hardtop/softtop or if you can live without one or the other, you've already decided auto which is a real good tranny, listen to the BASE system compared to the entry level Infinity system. I don't like/won't buy a factory navigation but the base Infinity doesn't have it and I really like my Infinity system since I don't plan of doing anything myself like in previous vehicles.

BillyPete 01-25-2012 10:15 AM

Limited Slip rear diff is a must in my book, and heated seats. Dont waste your money on the auto A/C controller either, doesnt work for sh*t.

Aegis 01-25-2012 10:26 AM

I have a 2009 Rubicon and a 2012 Sport. I ordered the sport with limited slip 3.73 gears connectivity group (USB) connector HD tow upgraded speakers. I wanted the Nav radio but was told it can't be ordered on the sport. I am really impressed with the standard radio and will probably not upgrade the radio.

i82much 01-25-2012 10:28 AM

I have no specific advice. I went from a truck to a 12 two-door rubi. I am absolutely in love. Do it.

PA ARCTIC 01-25-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cudda (Post 1959126)
Be sure the doors don't leak!

amen to that. try to find one that has been sitting on the lot in hours of rain. then go back and inspect the inside. or at the very least, water test it before you sign. i did the latter, but the leak did not show up till hours of steady rain. repaired (i think) :nonono:

other than that i LOVE my 12. :thumb:

JKatfish 01-25-2012 04:52 PM

Make sure it has what you want that cant be added later, such as 3.73, limited slip, power group, and looks like you made your mind about an automatic, too. I went with a hardtop, since a soft top is more available aftermarket, such as Bestop Trek NX. Infinity sound is your preference, but I decided not to mess with upgrading the sound since I dont listen that much. Other than color, most other options, wheels, bluetooth, tow and tint can be added later. Good luck!

Arterious 01-26-2012 09:59 AM

I want to thank everyone for the information, especially on the gearing, I didn't even THINK of that at first. I'm omw to my local dealer to go test drive and most likely annoy em cause I ain't buying till after my tax returns hehehehe

JKatfish 01-26-2012 01:01 PM

Yeah, I didnt even know about the gearing differences until I got on the forum. I would have kicked myself if I got stuck with the 3.21...and no limited slip. Cheap upfront mods, expensive aftermarket! If they aint got what you want, order it and use the Tread Lightly, 1% under invoice, unless you can get a better deal!

rdavis85 01-26-2012 03:44 PM

I've had my 2012 wrangler Saraha just over a week now. I love everything about it from the way it looks to the way it drives.

willee51 01-26-2012 03:52 PM

Don't...........

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arterious (Post 1958937)
Greetings all, I've been wanting a jeep for a long while now, with my truck fully paid off and about to start depreciating like mad, and the new 2012 having that purty new engine I had some questions before I leap. I'm looking to get a Wrangler Sport, auto, with the basic features. Can't afford a Rubicon ... yet... I always preferred a stiffer ride in a vehicle, always owned trucks etc. Plan on test driving the 2012 to make sure I like the fit etc. What do you all recommend to look out for a new buyer that you yourself missed or believe to be most important to check for when jumping into a Wrangler?

---------------
At 65-yo, I have been a trucky for as long as I remember! I love VA's Mtns and always wanted a JEEP! With retirement weeks away I wanted a new vehicle that would allow me to explore America's Mtn Trails, so I started looking!

I test drove a 2012 JKU and that ruined my life:facepalm:

I bought it, love it and cannot get enough of it! The MOD addiction is going to break me, but DAMN, it's like a drug :nonono:

Nothing like a 2012 JKU :thumb:

suicideking 01-26-2012 04:02 PM

If you're going to buy new wheels, try to get the 16" wheels to save some money. However, this is usually dictated by the other options. If the one you want already has the upgraded wheels, see if they'll give you some money off and switch to the 16". My wife was PISSED that I got the upgraded wheel package and replaced them at 1000 miles. :banghead:

Or, you could go the other direction: See if they'll throw the Rubicon wheels on your sport. They usually have a bunch of extras lying around.

Color: If you're going to wheel it, try to get a light color. I got black, scratches show up more. I love the black, but would probably get silver next time.

Also, probably want to get the tow package. This will also give you stronger/stiffer springs.

Rooster76 01-26-2012 05:14 PM

Look into to Tread Lightly Program that offers 1% below invoice pricing. You can do a search to see all the details.

I would also go with the 3.73 gearing.

Blackened 01-27-2012 02:04 AM

Make sure you get 3.73 gears. (aka the towing package)

Rooster76 01-27-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackened (Post 1965743)
Make sure you get 3.73 gears. (aka the towing package)

actually only the "MAX towing package" has to have the 3.73 from the way I understand it. You can tell on the window sticker on the right side with the options it will say 3.73

HoosierJK 01-27-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyPete (Post 1959253)
Limited Slip rear diff is a must in my book, and heated seats. Dont waste your money on the auto A/C controller either, doesnt work for sh*t.

My auto A/C controller works fantastically! It is significantly better than the one in my Volkswagen CC was.

Having said that, I only got the Auto Climate in the jeep because the one in stock that I liked had it.

HoosierJK 01-27-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster76 (Post 1966607)
actually only the "MAX towing package" has to have the 3.73 from the way I understand it. You can tell on the window sticker on the right side with the options it will say 3.73

This is correct. I have the "Tow Package" and still have 3.21. I do LOTS of highway driving so the 3.21 has been okay unless I go with larger tires.

rubicube 01-27-2012 03:48 PM

not sure if its been brought up yet i just zipped to the bottom, but i was getting some rattle from my spare tire tightened up fine but called the dealership about it and theyve been having problems with the jeeps being delivered with the spare attached loosely, so grab your tire iron and check those boys

JKatfish 01-27-2012 05:34 PM

I think the 2 dr tow can be ordered w 3.73 or 3.21. The MAX tow only comes with 3.73 w 4 dr?

Supercop260 01-27-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKatfish
I think the 2 dr tow can be ordered w 3.73 or 3.21. The MAX tow only comes with 3.73 w 4 dr?

I was building a new 2012 on Jeeps website yesterday and it said the max tow package can no longer be added as an option. Anyone else heard of this?

Arterious 02-01-2012 06:22 PM

I haven't bought yet, waiting for my tax return and possibly saving a few k for a down. There are no rebates for the wrangler, but dayum theres a 3k one on the liberty that makes me want to buy an arctic heheheh. no whre near the offroad prowess but dayum they are nice SUV.

I'm watching the whole gas thing and I get the distinct feeling that a rebate will be forth coming if gas spikes $4 hehe