Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Mysterious Button (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/mysterious-button-135354.html)

shadews 01-25-2012 09:44 AM

Mysterious Button
 
I just bought a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon on Saturday. I have this mysterious button on the dash under where the key goes. Sometimes I have to push it to start the vehicle and its random when I have to. Sometimes after not being started for awhile and sometimes after its only been off for 45 minutes. Whenever I push it, it resets the radio. Not sure if it is aftermarket or not. Here is my build sheet. If anyone can tell me what it is, I would appreciate it. Thanks!


Thank you for contacting the Jeep Customer Assistance Center in regards
to your 2004 Jeep Wrangler.

We are pleased to provide vehicle build information per your request.

According to our records, your vehicle was equipped from the factory
with the following:

*P5 Cloth High-Back Bucket Seats
-J3 Khaki
ADCS Convenience Group
APAS Monotone Paint
AWLS Off Road Group
A81P 4.0L Eng (ERH)/4Spd A/T 42RLE (DG6)
BAUS 117 Amp Alternator
BC2S 600 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BRWS 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
CADS High Back Bucket Seats
CAGP Easy Access Passenger Seat
CDBS Reclining Front Seats
CFMS Rear Folding Seat
CGWS Next Generation Front Air Bags**
CKES Front Seat Area Carpet
CKFP Rear Seat/Wheelhouse/Cargo Carpet
CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops
CLC Front Floor Mats
CLMS Sport Bar w/Full Padding
CUFP Full Length Floor Console
DGBS All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DG6 4-Spd. Automatic 42RLE Transmission
DHAP Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHWS 4:1 Rock-Trac HD Part Time 4WD Sys
DJCS 195MM Front Axle
DMFS 4.10 Rear Axle Ratio
DRKS Dana 44/226MM Rear Axle
DSES Tru-Lok Front & Rear Axles
ERH 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBP Front Door Tinted Glass
GCD Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows
GCFP Full Metal Doors w/Roll-up Windows
GFAP Rear Window Defroster
GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror
GTVS Swing-Away Mirrors
HAA Air Conditioning
I48S Route 48 - UP, Mira Loma, CA
JAYS Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JCDS 100 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JHBP Rear Window Wiper/Washer
JJFS Single Low Note Horn
JJJS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
JKAS Locking Glove Box
KWRS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
K5XS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
LBBP Courtesy Lamps
LDAP Underhood Lamp
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LNJS Fog Lamps
LPSS CHMSL Lamp
MBAS Painted Front Bumper
MB5S Black Rear Bumper
MCHS Bumper Extensions
MEFS Rock Protection Sill Rails
MFPS Chrome Headlamp Bezels
MFRS Black Front Frame Overlay
MFTS Body Color Grille
MT2S Trail Rated Badge
NAS 50 State Emissions
NBGP Federal Tier 2, Bin 9A Emissions
NBKS EVAP Control System
NF1S 19 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHMP Speed Control
PW1A Stone White Clear Coat
QW1S Stone White C/C
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RBKS AM/FM Compact Disc Radio w/Chgr Ctrl
RCDS 4 Speakers
RDDP Fixed Long Mast Antenna
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCL Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
SDUS Heavy Duty Suspension w/Gas Shocks
SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
SHCS Front and Rear Stabilizer Bars
SUAS Tilt Steering Column
TBBS Full Size Spare Tire
TBRS Outside Tire Carrier
TY3S LT245/75R16E BSW 31" MT/R Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
VKKA Dark Khaki Hard Top
WDYS 16X8.0 "MOAB" Silver Wheels
WKBP Matching Spare Wheel
WLZC All Aluminum Wheels
XCYS Delete Remote Start System
XEES Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
XEFS Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
XEWS 2 Front & 1 Rear Tow Hooks
XJFS Tethered Fuel Filler Cap
XPFS Protective Coating and Remover
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

jeepwayoflife 01-25-2012 09:45 AM

Can you post a picture of it?

SinfulDragon 01-25-2012 09:47 AM

Oh god a mystery button?!?!?!?!?!? I would push the crap outta that thing, is it red? I hope its red, god let it be red, then I'd push it while driving! Will you drive to Indiana so I can push the button? I do like buttons.
We'll need a pick, doesn't sound factory especially since it throws an interruption to the battery line to your radio making it lose its memory. You'll eventually need to pull it and trace the wires to see where its going and what its spliced into.
Do you have a chip keyed jeep? and aftermarket alarm installed?

solman 01-25-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinfulDragon (Post 1959138)
Oh god a mystery button?!?!?!?!?!? I would push the crap outta that thing, is it red? I hope its red, god let it be red, then I'd push it while driving! Will you drive to Indiana so I can push the button? I do like buttons.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: haha that was great!

shadews 01-25-2012 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife (Post 1959128)
Can you post a picture of it?

Yeah didn't think about that. Sorry! lol

MustangWrangler 01-25-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinfulDragon (Post 1959138)
Oh god a mystery button?!?!?!?!?!? I would push the crap outta that thing, is it red? I hope its red, god let it be red, then I'd push it while driving! Will you drive to Indiana so I can push the button? I do like buttons.

HA! Reminded me of this...

http://mlkshk.com/r/1QH5
http://nick.mtvnimages.com/nicktoons...tteColor=white

dolson60174 01-25-2012 09:52 AM

whoa...did your passenger eject by chance????

shadews 01-25-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife (Post 1959128)
Can you post a picture of it?

As far as I can tell, its not equipped with an alarm system or anything like that. So I don't know exactly what the purpose of this is.

How do I tell if its a chipped key or not?

Diverdown87 01-25-2012 09:52 AM

Looks to me like Dragon is going to be disappointed..:banghead:.....Its black....:facepalm:
:hide: I wonder if he will still want to push it............ :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

MustangWrangler 01-25-2012 09:53 AM

Looks like someone probably had an alarm at one time in that Jeep and took it out before they got rid of it.

shadews 01-25-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diverdown87 (Post 1959162)
Looks to me like Dragon is going to be disappointed..:banghead:.....Its black....:facepalm:
:hide: I wonder if he will still want to push it............ :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm a fan of the sniper quote in your sig line btw. hahaha

shadews 01-25-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangWrangler (Post 1959167)
Looks like someone probably had an alarm at one time in that Jeep and took it out before they got rid of it.

OK well thats going to be a pain in my ass. I'm taking it in tomorrow for some upgrades so I might see if they can rip it out for me.

Its just weird that the time period is random when I have to press it to start the vehicle.

Savage1979 01-25-2012 09:59 AM

Please stop pushing the button!!!!!!! This must be connected to my garage door opener....hahahahahaha

Savage1979 01-25-2012 10:01 AM

Also, Are you sure you bought a Jeep or a transformer? That build sheet is crazy.

SinfulDragon 01-25-2012 10:02 AM

First, yes, I'd still press the button, and even once unhooked I would keep the button to press on bad days to give me a boost. Stimpy knows what its like... buttons are made for pressin!!

I have no idea why that would be there, even with an alarm, what would it be? a kill switch? a reset for the kill switch that gets activated when the alarm goes off? If that were the case, why would it be so visual?
I'm going with someone installed lights or some other A/M item and did a shit job on wiring and its shorted across another wire with your ignition.

EDIT: Chipped key = Grey Key, non chipped will be black. I was thinking along the lines of the a remote start wired in by what would obviously be a non pro and that button being a kill switch.

shadews 01-25-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinfulDragon (Post 1959204)
First, yes, I'd still press the button, and even once unhooked I would keep the button to press on bad days to give me a boost. Stimpy knows what its like... buttons are made for pressin!!

I have no idea why that would be there, even with an alarm, what would it be? a kill switch? a reset for the kill switch that gets activated when the alarm goes off? If that were the case, why would it be so visual?
I'm going with someone installed lights or some other A/M item and did a shit job on wiring and its shorted across another wire with your ignition.

EDIT: Chipped key = Grey Key, non chipped will be black. I was thinking along the lines of the a remote start wired in by what would obviously be a non pro and that button being a kill switch.

OK So I just ran a little experiment.

Turn key and start, push button, battery meter never fluctuates.
Turn off
Turn on, still starts without button, program a station in the radio
Turn off.
Push button, turn on and start, radio still programmed.

W......T.......F......

shadews 01-25-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadews (Post 1959244)
OK So I just ran a little experiment.

Turn key and start, push button, battery meter never fluctuates.
Turn off
Turn on, still starts without button, program a station in the radio
Turn off.
Push button, turn on and start, radio still programmed.

W......T.......F......

Also Unrelated question. My build sheet says I have 16" moab wheels, which i do, but my spare is a 15". that seems kind of dumb to me plus it has a normal tire. Is this normal from the factory?

XJ Knight 01-25-2012 10:16 AM

Activates the flux capacitor?

TJspeed 01-25-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJ Knight (Post 1959260)
Activates the flux capacitor?

while driving 85mph hit the button and see if you go back in time :popcorn:

97wrangler-242 01-25-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJspeed

while driving 85mph hit the button and see if you go back in time :popcorn:

X2 :popcorn:

XJ Knight 01-25-2012 10:57 AM

Guys Guys Guys.. It's 88 mph.. Learn your history :D

SinfulDragon 01-25-2012 11:11 AM

Jeeps go that fast?

So, now you are pressing the button, and it doesn't clear out the radio.... I'm thinking more and more along the lines of a shorted connection, I bet you'll find it spliced into the battery line that runs your radio.

Wallygator 01-25-2012 11:33 AM

It does look like the button they call the valet button on some aftermarket alarms and remote starts. It allowed people to start the vehicle without using the key fob after the alarm had been de activated. Never saw the purpose myself, who herre gets valet parking. But that would explain how sometimes you need to hit it and when you do it messes up the radio. Especially if it was a DYI install not done correctly.

IslandTJ 01-25-2012 11:37 AM

That looks like a momentary switch, I would take out that panel and trace the wire to see where it goes...

BladeMechanical 01-25-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangWrangler (Post 1959156)

Happy, Happy. Joy, Joy. Ahhhh...the good old days...

Rolf 01-25-2012 12:00 PM

I agree I'd push the shit outta it, especially if it is not connected to anything.

shadews 01-25-2012 12:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SinfulDragon (Post 1959417)
Jeeps go that fast?

So, now you are pressing the button, and it doesn't clear out the radio.... I'm thinking more and more along the lines of a shorted connection, I bet you'll find it spliced into the battery line that runs your radio.

So I took the panel off and followed the wires to this thing attached to the battery. Any ideas? No logos or anything on it.

DMH2021 01-25-2012 12:25 PM

I don't, but this is the funniest thread I've ever read.

shadews 01-25-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadews (Post 1959555)
So I took the panel off and followed the wires to this thing attached to the battery. Any ideas? No logos or anything on it.

OK its an automotive battery disconnect device, but no manufacturer listed on it. I take it this isn't factory? Also why would someone put one on?

EDIT:

I found the specific one in case anybody was wondering.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190464455974...ht_1611wt_1270

s14sh3r 01-25-2012 12:29 PM

I can't think of a reason, unless they had something that was draining the battery and the disconnect was a quick fix.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 PM.