Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   So who uses their ipod with their 430/730N? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/so-who-uses-their-ipod-with-their-430-730n-135457.html)

Zmob 01-25-2012 06:53 PM

So who uses their ipod with their 430/730N?

I mention those two systems specifically because I don't know what the standard system offers.

Anyways, what I want to know is a couple of things.
1) How do you connect it to the jeep? Is it by USB or an Aux cable?

and

2) Do you have complete control over the songs played? Can you set a playlist or set it to random shuffle through the ipod?

I ask this because currently I have a sony MP3 player and when I try to connect it via USB my MP3 player locks into it's "connecting do not disconnect" screen and I can't change songs/select playlists/shuffle or anything. I can only skip songs 1 at a time via the console/wheel buttons... which is completely useless.

I'm trying to figure out if buying an ipod will fix my issue or not, or if the ipod is just as useless when connected to the jeep.

Hopefully someone understands what I'm talking about, heh, I've been trying to get an answer for this for a while.

kbwwolf 01-25-2012 07:02 PM

I've used my ipod by plugging it into the USB port in my center console. (I've got a '12 with the 430N and uConnect option.) Also my iphone, via bluetooth.

Never messed with the ipod or iphone themselves to select a song, though.

The first week I bought it I copied all of the music from my i-tunes library to a 16G memory stick, and downloaded all of into the 430N's HDD library. So now, if I'm not listening to satellite or local radio, I use the "Random Play" setting on the HDD, and can skip songs with my steering wheel controls. If I add songs to my i-tunes library, I copy only the new ones, and add them to the HDD.

Not sure if that made sense.

Condensed version: I no longer use my iphone or my ipod plugged into my stereo; all music is on my HDD drive.

Zmob 01-25-2012 07:06 PM

Yeah, that made sense. And I suppose I could do that too (once I figure out how to import songs).

Was just kinda hoping I could plug in and hit shuffle though. It'd save time in the long run by not having to clean out the hard drive when I want to delete songs I don't care for anymore.

basecamper 01-25-2012 07:07 PM

2012 JKUR with 430N and Connectivity group.

I use both bluetooth and the USB port in the center console depending on how far i'm going. You can definitely use the random function I do it all the time and you can go forward and back using the controls on the back of the steering wheel. Not sure if you can pick a specific song never tried that.

JayHawker45 01-25-2012 07:16 PM

I have a 2011 Rubicon with the 730N system, I use my IPod frequently, but I'm almost to the point now to transfer my music to a USB drive and then to my HDD. So far, no real issues with using the IPod.

Zmob 01-25-2012 07:19 PM

Hmm, this sounds promising then. Thanks guys.

I did forget about the bluetooth thing as well. My sony MP3 player has bluetooth too, I just keep forgetting to charge the thing so I could try it out on the jeep. I'd imagine I'd have full control over the mp3 player in that case.

Edit: ultimately I'm leaning towards an ipod anyways, so it's useful hearing of success with it in the jeeps.

Kelsey73 01-25-2012 07:21 PM

A little different, but has anyone tried to use their iPhone and stream pandora over USB? I know it works over BT, but it's terrible quality.

kbwwolf 01-25-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zmob (Post 1960678)
Hmm, this sounds promising then. Thanks guys.

I did forget about the bluetooth thing as well. My sony MP3 player has bluetooth too, I just keep forgetting to charge the thing so I could try it out on the jeep. I'd imagine I'd have full control over the mp3 player in that case.

I do know that the nav system prioritizes which device to recognize as the "primary" device, when more than one are putting out bluetooth signals. So, not sure if the stereo would play songs from your mp3 player while your phone was the primary device (if the two are separate).

nwsportsguy 01-25-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basecamper
2012 JKUR with 430N and Connectivity group.

I use both bluetooth and the USB port in the center console depending on how far i'm going. You can definitely use the random function I do it all the time and you can go forward and back using the controls on the back of the steering wheel. Not sure if you can pick a specific song never tried that.

2012 JK Sahara with 430N and uConnect here. Use my iPod with the USB in the center console. You definitely can access a specific song, album, artist through the car stereo interface or uConnect...easier through uConnect if you have a bunch of the songs on the iPod (over 11k on mine) as the search interface on the 430N is a little clunky...hope that helps!

basecamper 01-25-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwsportsguy (Post 1960736)
2012 JK Sahara with 430N and uConnect here. Use my iPod with the USB in the center console. You definitely can access a specific song, album, artist through the car stereo interface or uConnect...easier through uConnect if you have a bunch of the songs on the iPod (over 11k on mine) as the search interface on the 430N is a little clunky...hope that helps!

Thanks I learned something new today :thumb:

Bulldawgs 01-25-2012 11:16 PM

I purchased the 160gb clasic Ipod, loaded it with everything from audiobooks and music ect... I leave it plugged into the center concole and never take it out for anything other than updating. I can not use the ipod when it is docked. I use the head unit to select playlists, shuffle music, search by either artist, album, genre etc... love it. Should mention this is on the 730n.
Cheers

1quick1 01-26-2012 12:37 AM

I have my iPhone 4 plugged into the USB port in the center console and have it synchronized through bluetooth for my phone. If I hit the media button I can view my music library and playlists on the 430 screen. You can also change the song forward/back with the steering wheel control. You can definitely shuffle your music library as well.

NFRs2000NYC 01-26-2012 01:15 AM

JKU with 730N and Uconnect.

I have my ipod/iphone plugged into the USB cable in the center console. Works like a charm. I just wish there was a way for the HDD to copy directly from the ipod.

Jifney 01-26-2012 04:30 PM

Problems

Anybody else have problems when you hook up the iPod thru USB(center console). Some times it just says searching a couple times and then kick you back to satellite....then when you try again it works...this is from a 12 jku 430n...

chris.george 01-26-2012 04:45 PM

I use multiple ways:
1. An ipod Nano (or my iPhone) connected to either USB
2. iPhone connected through USB.

The only issue I've seen is that if I start on SAT/AM/FM I sometimes I have to select whether I want USB or Bluetooth. Given that, sometimes there is a bit of lag too. I'm hoping a software update alleviates that issue.

Speaking of which, I've been searching for the best place to get NAVTEQ updates too. If anyone could PM where they get them from that would be awesome!

Red Sector A 01-26-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jifney
Anybody else have problems when you hook up the iPod thru USB(center console). Some times it just says searching a couple times and then kick you back to satellite....then when you try again it works...this is from a 12 jku 430n...

There is a delay in recognizing external devices via unconnect USB and you will notice that even if the device is connected when you start your vehicle or power on the 430n, devices listed under AUX (media hard button, AUX soft button) don't show up until they are recognized by the scan. So if you start let's say on Sat Radio and press media/AUX it will switch back to Sat Radio if the device isn't ready yet. You just have to give it a couple of seconds to register

enwhypetey 01-26-2012 05:23 PM

Not to jack the read, but Has anybody noticed after downloading music to the HDD, that certain music was missing on the device but not the iPod. I had issues in my 09 and it annoyed me to all hell. It also scrambled and made up names to my music. I'm hesitant to put on the 430N. Just throwing it out there to see if anyone came across this on the new systems

NFRs2000NYC 01-26-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris.george (Post 1963859)
I use multiple ways:
1. An ipod Nano (or my iPhone) connected to either USB
2. iPhone connected through USB.

The only issue I've seen is that if I start on SAT/AM/FM I sometimes I have to select whether I want USB or Bluetooth. Given that, sometimes there is a bit of lag too. I'm hoping a software update alleviates that issue.

Speaking of which, I've been searching for the best place to get NAVTEQ updates too. If anyone could PM where they get them from that would be awesome!

Buy the DVDs from Chrysler/dealer directly. They will cost about $150. The price is set by Navteq, so it doesn't matter where you get it, and for what system. My aftermarket Alpine navigation in my s2000 is the same price, my acura, and my friends lexus are all $130-$150.

However, unless you....

1)Live in a part of the country where they build a new road every 3 weeks
2)You MUST have the latest POIs and restaurant locations

Don't waste your money updating any more often than once every 5 years.

Jifney 01-26-2012 06:23 PM

Thx RED SECTOR....

NJRubicon 01-26-2012 09:53 PM

I have a '12 JK Rubicon with the 430N and uConnect. I put all the playlists I wanted from iTunes on to my old 4 gig iPod Nano. It lives in the center console hooked up to the USB. I access everything thru the head unit...playlists, artists etc. I can also use the voice recognition to choose a particular song (among other things I'm sure, but that's the only one I've used). I'm sure shuffle is in there somewhere, I haven't looked for it. The head unit isn't all that intuitive to use. I haven't tried streaming via bluetooth because I read on this forum that the audio quality is far worse than with a USB connection.

MY question is: when you listen to music via your iPod the way I do, and you turn the Jeep off, does your iPod come back on the next time you start it? Almost all the time, when I start the Jeep, it defaults to satellite radio. I always hit the media button to switch to my iPod. Once in a while, when I start it, the iPod comes on automatically. It's driving me nuts, I want it to always default to iPod but I don't know if it can. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and has an answer, I'd love to hear. Thanks

Bulldawgs 01-27-2012 10:56 PM

MY question is: when you listen to music via your iPod the way I do, and you turn the Jeep off, does your iPod come back on the next time you start it? Almost all the time, when I start the Jeep, it defaults to satellite radio. I always hit the media button to switch to my iPod. Once in a while, when I start it, the iPod comes on automatically. It's driving me nuts, I want it to always default to iPod but I don't know if it can. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and has an answer, I'd love to hear. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Okay mine does that as well but just the opposite, the majority of the time the head unit finds the device and starts to play where I left off and on the occasion it defaults to the sat radio. interesting...:angel:

xsdbs 01-29-2012 11:05 AM

I have found that this seems to be a time related thing. It seems that if you're listening to the iPod when you turn the key off and come back with a short time (I haven't really got the time down) the iPod will continue play where it left off. But if you come back past 30-45 minutes, the iPod play will need to be started.
I'll look more into this when I get some time. I'm out of town this week for work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJRubicon (Post 1964997)
I have a '12 JK Rubicon with the 430N and uConnect. I put all the playlists I wanted from iTunes on to my old 4 gig iPod Nano. It lives in the center console hooked up to the USB. I access everything thru the head unit...playlists, artists etc. I can also use the voice recognition to choose a particular song (among other things I'm sure, but that's the only one I've used). I'm sure shuffle is in there somewhere, I haven't looked for it. The head unit isn't all that intuitive to use. I haven't tried streaming via bluetooth because I read on this forum that the audio quality is far worse than with a USB connection.

MY question is: when you listen to music via your iPod the way I do, and you turn the Jeep off, does your iPod come back on the next time you start it? Almost all the time, when I start the Jeep, it defaults to satellite radio. I always hit the media button to switch to my iPod. Once in a while, when I start it, the iPod comes on automatically. It's driving me nuts, I want it to always default to iPod but I don't know if it can. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and has an answer, I'd love to hear. Thanks

devicemanager 02-27-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsdbs (Post 1972356)
I have found that this seems to be a time related thing. It seems that if you're listening to the iPod when you turn the key off and come back with a short time (I haven't really got the time down) the iPod will continue play where it left off. But if you come back past 30-45 minutes, the iPod play will need to be started.
I'll look more into this when I get some time. I'm out of town this week for work.

I've noticed the same behavior with my 2012 730N/iPhone4/Nano 6G. Has anyone found a way to boost the volume for devices such as the iPods thru the USB ports? My MINI Cooper had an AUX level adjuster.

isitme 02-27-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devicemanager (Post 2080595)
I've noticed the same behavior with my 2012 730N/iPhone4/Nano 6G. Has anyone found a way to boost the volume for devices such as the iPods thru the USB ports? My MINI Cooper had an AUX level adjuster.

This may be a dumb question, but is your iPod volume up all of the way? if so, play with the different EQ settings on the iPod itself.

devicemanager 03-04-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isitme (Post 2081363)
This may be a dumb question, but is your iPod volume up all of the way? if so, play with the different EQ settings on the iPod itself.

The iPod volume and EQ have zero effect on sound while hooked up to the Jeep's usb port.

Sherifftruman 03-04-2012 09:42 AM

Have a 2012 with 430n and connectivity group.

I've used Bluetooth and the USB to connect my iphone 4 and my wife's iPhone 4 to the system. If you are on iOS 5 or higher you can stream Pandora just fine, once it connects, just start Pandora up. Once it gets going, it tells you artist, album,title info. You can also use the radio or steering wheel controls to skip tracks.

One thing I've noticed is that the bluetooth on the jeep has a ridiculously long range. This morning I went to get breakfast and her phone was in the house, upstairs and probably 50+ feet away and it connected.

xsdbs 03-05-2012 11:19 AM

This is an issue with the radio SW. Each media section has a gain adjustment within the SW. Hopefully Harman will come out with a radio update to fix this issue for the 730N owners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by devicemanager (Post 2080595)

Jeep4Vin 03-05-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 1960600)
I've used my ipod by plugging it into the USB port in my center console. (I've got a '12 with the 430N and uConnect option.) Also my iphone, via bluetooth.

Never messed with the ipod or iphone themselves to select a song, though.

The first week I bought it I copied all of the music from my i-tunes library to a 16G memory stick, and downloaded all of into the 430N's HDD library. So now, if I'm not listening to satellite or local radio, I use the "Random Play" setting on the HDD, and can skip songs with my steering wheel controls. If I add songs to my i-tunes library, I copy only the new ones, and add them to the HDD.

Not sure if that made sense.

Condensed version: I no longer use my iphone or my ipod plugged into my stereo; all music is on my HDD drive.

ahhh...just found the "random play" button. It was becoming very frustrating listening to the same songs in the exact same order everytime i got into the car:banghead:

NJRubicon 03-18-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep4Vin

ahhh...just found the "random play" button. It was becoming very frustrating listening to the same songs in the exact same order everytime i got into the car:banghead:

Where is the random play button for the hdd? And do you happen to know if there is a random play button for the iPod as well? Thanks

chris.george 03-18-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJRubicon

Where is the random play button for the hdd? And do you happen to know if there is a random play button for the iPod as well? Thanks

While listening, hit "menu" then check "shuffle".