Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (
-   -   Poppin out of gear (

dmiller369 01-25-2012 07:35 PM

Poppin out of gear
Redid my clutch awhile ago.I was not having any serious issues at first. But now sometimes when I'm at a stop light I'm worried if I will even be able to get it into gear. Or when I'm down shifting into second it takes awhile for me to get it into gear. Also when if I am coasting around 40 or so and press in the clutch and put it into second it grinds untill my speed goes way down. Then it will finally go into gear.

Any thoughts?

BadMojo 01-25-2012 07:42 PM

Did you replace the master/slave cylinder when you did the clutch? Slave cylinders are notorious for losing throw over time so they can't fully disengage the clutch.

Jeepzjlover 01-25-2012 09:52 PM

It's not very good to be goin into 2nd at 40 mph that's rappin the motor out pretty hard.

bocephus1700 01-25-2012 10:15 PM

Mine does the same thing, at a light have to go 3rd, 2nd then into 1st. If you down shift into 2nd u you have to get the rpms perfect. New clutch put in less than 6 months ago. Ive been driving tractor trailers for 15 years so Im pretty sure I can Every one telling me the syncros are gone in 2nd gear. Jeep has a TSB (technical service bulletin) but they wont recall. Just gotta find some one to put new ones in. Changeing the oil helped a lil bit but still does it.