Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   top of radiator? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/top-of-radiator-135628.html)

Crazyflyingplastics 01-26-2012 01:53 PM

top of radiator?

I was checking all my fluids today and noticed this on top of the radiator. It doesn't look right to me. it looks like a piece of foam that should be running all the way across the radiator. wasn't really sure if I need to do anything or just leave it alone.

james.l.devore 01-26-2012 01:59 PM

Crazy, I can't really tell from your picture but If the top has any seepage plan to relace it. I've gone through 2 radiators, aluminum and pressed plastic just dont work.......I dont know who the genious was.

Crazyflyingplastics 01-26-2012 05:42 PM

the first picture is the right side of the radiator. This next pic is from the left side, you can see where the foam/rubber starts. Nothing is seeping out of the radiator. I just wasn't sure what this is.

DevilDogDoc 01-26-2012 11:04 PM

Mine has a big rubber strip that runs from side to side and has plastic plugs tha fit into the holes that you see in your grill. I have no foam however, mine is an old one...

spy 01-26-2012 11:09 PM

really your worrying about a peice of foam... :nonono:
Sorry don't mean to be an asshole but holy shit haha, Looks good! :whistling:

CoyoteOn2 01-27-2012 12:45 AM

Sorry can't help ya there. But I do notice your Hose Clamps. You might consider
changing them the to the Ideal Worm or Screw type of clamp. Those Spring Clamps
are worthless and can FAIL at the worst possible time. (I won't say how I know,
just take my word on it.)

Jeep_guy3 01-27-2012 02:22 AM

That's just a cosmetic piece of foam to prevent dinging the fins of the rad at factory. Rip the rest of it off and call it good.

jkaufman_95 01-27-2012 02:44 AM

Damn your engine is clean.

Crazyflyingplastics 01-27-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spy (Post 1965525)
really your worrying about a peice of foam... :nonono:
Sorry don't mean to be an asshole but holy shit haha, Looks good! :whistling:

If I knew it was just a piece of foam, then I wouldn't have been worried. Now I know it's nothing I need to worry about. I am hitting up the trails next weekend, so I want to make sure everything is ready to go.

Thanks to all for the responses, looks like nothing I need to worry about then. Off to the trails soon!

obidya 01-27-2012 10:36 AM

yeah, that piece of foam is more for protecting your fingers than anything else.

spy 01-27-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyflyingplastics (Post 1966085)
If I knew it was just a piece of foam, then I wouldn't have been worried. Now I know it's nothing I need to worry about. I am hitting up the trails next weekend, so I want to make sure everything is ready to go.

Thanks to all for the responses, looks like nothing I need to worry about then. Off to the trails soon!

O Trails! well you should have said so LOL, I thought you were one of those picky people lol :banghead:

Good luck out there and be safe :thumb:

freeskier 01-27-2012 11:38 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CoyoteOn2
Sorry can't help ya there. But I do notice your Hose Clamps. You might consider
changing them the to the Ideal Worm or Screw type of clamp. Those Spring Clamps
are worthless and can FAIL at the worst possible time. (I won't say how I know,
just take my word on it.)

I would completely disagree. I hate the worm screw caps because they come loose over time. The factory constant pressure ones however do not. I still have the original factory clamps on mine except for the lower radiator hose where it goes on the water pump. I have never had an issue with the factory clamps and I have never had them leak, I have though had issues with the worm gear clamp holding the lower hose to the pump.

Obviously though different experiences are going to warrant different opinions.