Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Stock Hood hold downs. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/stock-hood-hold-downs-136401.html)

lame 01-30-2012 12:25 PM

Stock Hood hold downs.
 
I was driving down a highway,(yea I know, What for?) and I passed a rather large tractor trailer doing about 60 mph and my hood lifted about 3 inches of the body..f****** rubber hold downs.. Any suggestions on better choices. Tried and true only need reply.. Thanks:D

Up Hill Bill 01-30-2012 12:32 PM

Daystar KJ09145BK - Daystar Hood Wranglers for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

kenb1023 01-30-2012 12:38 PM

There ae lots of treads about this. Daystar makes a stronger latch that has worked great for most. I am getting a set. They are only about $25.

JIMBOX 01-30-2012 12:49 PM

:whistling: As previously stated--lotta threads about this phenominena-

Simple/cheap fix, is remove spring--solves 99% of problem, makes a little tougher to open hood, but livable !!

Life is good-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

B11 02-02-2012 12:25 PM

With all do respect, taking that flimsy little hood spring out isn't going to fix anything.

If you want to truely "FIX" your hood bounce get the Daystar Hood Wranglers install them in 10min or less and be done with it.

I've had the Daystars on my 09 shortly after I bought it brand new and since installing them I have yet to have one single hood bounce.

strider_mt2k 02-02-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lame (Post 1976108)
...Tried and true only need reply.. Thanks:D


Bummer. I had a whole list of crap that wouldn't work I was gonna post. :rolleyes:

"Don't complain about the flavor of the free ice cream."

Up Hill Bill 02-02-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B11 (Post 1986855)
With all do respect, taking that flimsy little hood spring out isn't going to fix anything.

While logic is with you on this, peoples real world experience is not. Those who have removed the hood latch spring have reported that it does eliminate hood bounce as well as stronger latches do, and it certainly costs less....

JIMBOX will fill you in, I'm sure..... :rolleyes:

kbwwolf 02-02-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 1986887)
While logic is with you on this, peoples real world experience is not. Those who have removed the hood latch spring have reported that it does eliminate hood bounce as well as stronger latches do, and it certainly costs less....

JIMBOX will fill you in, I'm sure..... :rolleyes:

I agree...type "hood spring" into the search field of any Jeep site, and you'll see that a lot of folks have ditched them, and report no further hood bounce.

That said, I bought the Daystars myself.

B11 02-02-2012 12:55 PM

I tried the hood spring removal before my Daystar's got here and there was no difference. Windy day and you pass a truck I still had hood lift.

Like I said, if you want to eliminate hood lift get the Daystar Hood Wranglers!

Jsjk 02-02-2012 12:57 PM

I replaced them with drake tie downs, the bouncing is completely gone.

oaksmith 02-02-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsjk (Post 1987009)
I replaced them with drake tie downs, the bouncing is completely gone.

I did the same, works and looks great! BUT, watch for where the coated wire fasteners slap against your jeep. I noticed it early on and removed them. I replaced them with weedwacker line using the same type of crimps but keep them shorter, looks good and works even better.
I have an Crush color jeep and uses orange weedwacker line1

ColdSRT 02-02-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaksmith

I did the same, works and looks great! BUT, watch for where the coated wire fasteners slap against your jeep. I noticed it early on and removed them. I replaced them with weedwacker line using the same type of crimps but keep them shorter, looks good and works even better.
I have an Crush color jeep and uses orange weedwacker line1

The coated wire has not caused any damage on mine. I would think weed wacker line would be more likely to cause damage.

Jsjk 02-02-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaksmith

I did the same, works and looks great! BUT, watch for where the coated wire fasteners slap against your jeep. I noticed it early on and removed them. I replaced them with weedwacker line using the same type of crimps but keep them shorter, looks good and works even better.
I have an Crush color jeep and uses orange weedwacker line1

I haven't had that issue but I will keep my eye

mjf232 02-02-2012 09:23 PM

I have the Drake hold downs and they work great. I also have the AEV Hood so take that into consideration.

strider_mt2k 02-04-2012 06:01 PM

Took the plunge on the Daystar Hood Wranglers for my spring project. :thumb:

IcarusLSC 12-06-2012 06:13 AM

Anyone running the Drake hold downs through the winter/salt/crap etc? How are they holding up?
Thanks :)

wcbardwell 12-06-2012 07:30 AM

I've seen somewhere that someone suggested zip-tying the rubber tie downs... I could see how it would work... If you want a solution that costs a few pennies, I'd try that. The link below is not the one I saw, but you'll get the idea:


http://www.jeepmilitia.com/forum/f37...d-flutter-256/

SouthTJ 12-06-2012 09:54 AM

My tried and true solution is to ignore it. The hood isn't going to come off, it doesn't happen very often and it's not hurting anything. Worked on my TJ and working so far on my JK.

tomthbomb 12-06-2012 12:45 PM

I like the Drake hold downs but Q'Tech wants $27 to ship them!:eek:

panthermark 12-06-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomthbomb (Post 3073890)
I like the Drake hold downs but Q'Tech wants $27 to ship them!:eek:

That is a stupid price to ship....but....dude, you are a forum member.... Free shipping bro....

Send them a PM to start the process.

Edit...I just looked on their site. It is $7.99 to ship, not $27.00. Where did you got that price?

TheKid23 12-06-2012 01:09 PM

Added to the list. More stuff everyday, it's getting quite large.

tomthbomb 12-06-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 3073951)
That is a stupid price to ship....but....dude, you are a forum member.... Free shipping bro....

Send them a PM to start the process.

Edit...I just looked on their site. It is $7.99 to ship, not $27.00. Where did you got that price?

What it said when I went to check out. Will look again but will use the forum deal. Thanks for the reminder.

109 Rider 12-06-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomthbomb (Post 3074037)
What it said when I went to check out. Will look again but will use the forum deal. Thanks for the reminder.

Yes, use your phone to place this order and tell them you are a member here.
Good luck.
I ordered my floor mats via Internet and payed for shipping (stupid me) :doh:

tomthbomb 12-06-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdSRT

The coated wire has not caused any damage on mine. I would think weed wacker line would be more likely to cause damage.

I see photos of the wires in front of the hold down and photos of the wire behind the hold down ( this seems more logical to me). If you have them which way did you install them, front or back?

kramer2k 12-06-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomthbomb (Post 3075077)
I see photos of the wires in front of the hold down and photos of the wire behind the hold down ( this seems more logical to me). If you have them which way did you install them, front or back?

I do believe you can choose which way to install them. Personally I'd want the wire trailing.

Thracks 12-06-2012 06:40 PM

I just use 11 inch zip ties. Works perfectly and I don't have to waste my money on new hood latches.

missouri islander 12-06-2012 06:55 PM

I removed the spring and added the Daystars. Zero hood flutter.

HK_Runner 12-06-2012 10:29 PM

Strange. My 2012 does not have this issue at all.

Deepjeep1371 12-06-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HK_Runner
Strange. My 2012 does not have this issue at all.

Me either with my 12, it was designed specifically for aerodynamics its an Altitude Edition..... .. Rotflmmfao.
Still ill probably go for the daystars. I love the drakes but I fear the wire could be an issue in a bad Northeast winter.

HK_Runner 12-07-2012 09:06 AM

I have done several highway trips at 70+...been watching for this. I wonder if a lift that changes the rake considerably, has anything to do with this. However, I did a spring swap which did just that by raising the front, with no effect. I even took out the rear seat for a while, which raised the front a bit, Hated the stiffer springs so swapped back and went back to a slight rake- same thing...no hood flutter. Maybe the stock latches wear out over time as well. Several people report this problem, so it definitely happens often enough.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 PM.