Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Bad Batch of Dozer Paint? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/bad-batch-of-dozer-paint-137092.html)

ikeymay 02-02-2012 12:46 PM

Bad Batch of Dozer Paint?

so... i purchased my new Dozer JK a few weeks ago. two weeks after i bought it i come home from work to find a message from chrysler headquarters on my voice mail saying "please call back asap. there's an issue with the paint on your new wrangler." so i call the next morning and, although they're really vague at first, i'm told that there was "an issue" with the paint and that there were several options for "rectifying" the problem. i could have a brand new jk delivered in 4 or 5 weeks to swap out for mine. i could keep my not-quite-dozer JK and have a maximum care extended warranty for free. or i could accept a partial reimbursement in accessories or cash for "around $3000.00

i figured this must be a scam of some kind, but couldn't figure out what the scam was about. they didnt want an account number or anything. i dint have to shell out any money in anticipation of reimbursement. the phone number checked out as a chrysler h.q. number. the dealership varified that there was a "tint problem" with one batch of dozer paint (we compared to another dozer wrangler on the lot and nobody could see a difference)... everything seemed legit, so i considered the options and chose cash. i had to sign a form stating that i had been informed of the tint problem and was happy with the color as-is. that's it!

today i deposited a check for almost $3300.00! how weird was this whole thing? anyone ever hear of such a thing before? even weirder is that, apparently, the dozer jeeps that were caught at the factory and those that are being swapped out are being... crushed! not donated to a worthy charity. not repainted. not deep-discounted. crushed! what a damn shame!

Peepers 02-02-2012 12:55 PM

Sounds like cash for clunkers. all those junk cars traded in were destroyed.

kjeeper10 02-02-2012 01:01 PM

Heard of the paint issue.

What does it look like?

I would have tried to up it to 5K

ikeymay 02-02-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1987195)
Heard of the paint issue.

What does it look like?

I would have tried to up it to 5K

looks like dozer. lol! i was told "more than ten tints" go into the recipe for dozer. one tint got left out of this batch. i can tell you that me and two other people looked at mine right next to another dozer jk in direct sunlight and couldn't tell the difference.

kik 02-02-2012 01:12 PM

So, it's not that it's going to peal off eventually it's only possibly a shade off because of "tint", that you can't see anyway, and they wrote a check for over 3K. I'll take that "tint" for my Rubi all day. Only Dozer not Flame Red?:rofl:

namasste 02-02-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kik (Post 1987224)
So, it's not that it's going to peal off eventually it's only possibly a shade off because of "tint", that you can't see anyway, and they wrote a check for over 3K. I'll take that "tint" for my Rubi all day. Only Dozer not Flame Red?:rofl:

gimme a check for $3300 and I'll plastidip my entire tub!!:D

AXman 02-02-2012 01:57 PM

Take the 3k and have fun with that. If you like the color as is why swap it out.

Ibuildembig 02-02-2012 01:59 PM

The biggest problem I forsee in taking the cash is if something ever happens and you have to repaint part of it they will have to take a snapshot and try to make a formula since its not the color its supposed to be.

judofish 02-02-2012 02:08 PM

Do you have any idea when your Dozer was built? I too have a Dozer that I got in December. I'm wondering if I'm in that group.

Riccochet 02-02-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 1987362)
The biggest problem I forsee in taking the cash is if something ever happens and you have to repaint part of it they will have to take a snapshot and try to make a formula since its not the color its supposed to be.

This.

AXman 02-02-2012 03:04 PM

i can see that. But a snap shot may be more accurate due to fading from UV and other enviromental stuffs.

M5ivan 02-02-2012 03:09 PM

My Dozer was built at the same time and was caught at the factory before it left. It never made it out of "Final Inspection". They a built a new one within a week and it should be at my dealership on Monday. If the paint looked the same, I'd have taken the 3k cash! Good for you :dance:

ikeymay 02-02-2012 06:39 PM

no idea when it was built, though i spoze i could find out. 166 of the bad batchers were caught at the factory. i dont know how many made it out to dealerships, but from what i understand, some that made it to dealerships were caught there and got shipped back to be (dammit!) crushed. alledgedly, 23 made it into the hands of consumers. some will no doubt be traded for "correct" dozer jk's (if i had 5k or more hard miles on mine, i maybe woulda went that way). i wonder how many will be in circulation this time next year? :-)

2DEUCE2 02-02-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikeymay (Post 1987168)
today i deposited a check for almost $3300.00! how weird was this whole thing? anyone ever hear of such a thing before? even weirder is that, apparently, the dozer jeeps that were caught at the factory and those that are being swapped out are being... crushed! not donated to a worthy charity. not repainted. not deep-discounted. crushed! what a damn shame!

That's actually Chrysler's technical jargon for re-painting them in Crush... which is almost as bad as destroying them. :hide:

Texasflusher 02-02-2012 07:06 PM

Enjoy spending the 3 grand on upgrades. Chrysler truly took care of you and that is good to see.

mjf232 02-02-2012 07:59 PM

I heard it was because they accidently used lead paint and the EPA was all over them.

So dontcha go chewin' on it like you did ur crib all those years ago :thumb:

J/K, enjoy the mod's on Chrysler's dime.

BillyPete 02-02-2012 09:10 PM

Dang, I wouda got the Dozer if I knew I had a $3k rebate coming!

Ballandchain 02-02-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyPete (Post 1988902)
Dang, I wouda got the Dozer if I knew I had a $3k rebate coming!

I was hoping mine was one also. I already started the 3k list.......

kbwwolf 02-02-2012 09:15 PM

The $3K is nice, but I can't get past the crushing part...

What a waste. :nonono:

ESP 02-02-2012 09:16 PM

Ok just got here what I miss?

devicemanager 02-02-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 1988927)
Ok just got here what I miss?

Buy a Dozer get $3300 cash back. :doh:

ikeymay 02-02-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjf232 (Post 1988529)
I heard it was because they accidently used lead paint and the EPA was all over them.

So dontcha go chewin' on it like you did ur crib all those years ago :thumb:

J/K, enjoy the mod's on Chrysler's dime.

dude, you ever tasted a crib smotered in lead-based paint. YUM!

alknope 02-03-2012 02:13 AM

so they let you know that your paint might be off a little and hand you a check no problem with out you bugging them, but if you get a lemon you gotta fight like it's WW1 to get anything. strange how things work.

just sayin :popcorn:

halo216 02-03-2012 02:32 AM

They are paying people to buy drive jeeps is all i got from this.

bbtj 02-03-2012 06:39 AM

Ok,

good for you, now spend the money and have fun.

ikeymay 02-07-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbtj (Post 1989738)
good for you, now spend the money and have fun.

roger that. out!

i2canoe 02-07-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 1987362)

A good paint shop should have no trouble with this.
They should always check the shade of the paint on the actual vehicle against the paint they will be using. After a couple of years all paint fades with weather so they should be matching the actual vehicle. Have you ever seen jobs done where they used the original colour on a panel of an older car . . . it sticks out like a sore thumb.

nosvet 05-11-2012 12:36 AM

does anyone have the list of VINs affected by the Dozer tint problem? Or a date of affected builds?

acsteele 05-11-2012 01:00 AM

Sounds like a great deal for you, and a proactive move on Chryslers part!

Wharfrat 05-11-2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikeymay (Post 1987168)

This is fairly common. Most manufacturers, including Subaru, would prefer to just junk the cars. These were like brand new, in perfect working order with less than 100 miles on them when they were crushed. The blue one was an STi.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...5-09_after.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...05-09_0955.jpg