Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   PLS help w/ fate of my TJ,. replace frame? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/pls-help-w-fate-of-my-tj-replace-frame-137199.html)

1jeeplvr 02-02-2012 09:40 PM

PLS help w/ fate of my TJ,. replace frame?

So I bought my 98, 4.0,manual TJ for $1500.00. I thought I just had a few rot holes in the frame.I sent it to the body guy I use and he informed me the frame is rotted badly & wouldent advise to fix it.Sooo do I get rid of it or spend another prob 3k to replace the frame.I have a place to do the work & a friend to help.The body is in great shape,engine runs great & shifts fine-new clutch.
I have all these shiny new parts waiting to go in.This rots-literally.
Just want some input.Ive never replaced a frame but me & my buddy could def do the work.

LucaBrasi 02-02-2012 09:43 PM

Well a '98 with a new frame is worth a lot more than $1500, so do the math. It makes sense. If you cant afford it in the long run, have the work done and sell it for a profit... Or part it out and sell it for a profit.

1jeeplvr 02-02-2012 09:53 PM

This is the dilemma Im having.The price of the frame plus the initial cost of buying the Jeep is about $4500-$5000. Can I find a Jeep with a totally solid frame & body for that much?? Its close I think.

scot68 02-02-2012 10:07 PM

If you have a place to work on it you should definitely replace the frame yourself. It will also be an excellent learning opportunity not to mention a huge cash savings. I imagine solid TJ frames go for more money in the Northeast but I see them on Craig's List here in Arizona for about $400-$600. If the tub is solid and the interior is decent after the frame repair it should be worth around $5K-$7K. Go for it. :thumb:
Here is an example:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/2775798681.html

1jeeplvr 02-02-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scot68 (Post 1989157)
If you have a place to work on it you should definitely replace the frame yourself. It will also be an excellent learning opportunity not to mention a huge cash savings. I imagine solid TJ frames go for more money in the Northeast but I see them on Craig's List here in Arizona for about $400-$600. If the tub is solid and the interior is decent after the frame repair it should be worth around $5K-$7K. Go for it. :thumb:

I have access to a large garage and all the tools I need.I just cant seem to find a frame.Any links to any would be helpful.Also if anyone thinks Im nuts for doing this pls let me know.If I didnt get the Jeep for so cheap i wouldent even consider it.This really sucks!What crappy news to get today!

1jeeplvr 02-02-2012 10:16 PM

Good example scot68.Anyone have any more links to some good ones? Thanks

scot68 02-02-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 1989167)
I have access to a large garage and all the tools I need.I just cant seem to find a frame.Any links to any would be helpful.Also if anyone thinks I'm nuts for doing this pls let me know.If I didn't get the Jeep for so cheap i wouldn't even consider it.This really sucks!What crappy news to get today!

I think you would be nuts for not doing it! :)

heiser 02-02-2012 10:28 PM

look here in the for sale section of the forum there are some frames there. also check this place out D A V E Y S J E E P S . C O M - Parts Specials just scroll down to the frame section

heiser 02-02-2012 10:33 PM

this ones in new york, it's a '99 should be an exact bolt on. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f14/cle...-a-135402.html

TJWenatchee 02-02-2012 10:40 PM

I would replace the frame. You got the Jeep for a Rock Bottom price. Do your research and find a frame (new or "Like New") and go for it. Replacing the frame is not overall that Difficult, just time consuming. Just think of it as the ultimate modification. The possibilities of what you can do with the Jeep while you are installing a new frame is endless. Go For It! :thumb:

1jeeplvr 02-05-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scot68 (Post 1989157)
Here is an example:
1997 jeep wrangler frame

I called about this frame.Found its $1000.00 just to ship it.

1jeeplvr 02-05-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heiser (Post 1989252)
this ones in new york, it's a '99 should be an exact bolt on. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f14/cle...-a-135402.html

And this one is a possibility.Except his brothers friend might want it.Ill know tomorrow.And yes.My wife & you all talked me into doing it.

lensam 02-05-2012 10:01 AM

Rent a Uhaul drive to phoenix and pick it up, at least you know its solid from AZ. gotta be cheaper than $1k, no??? or shop around for shipping. If you have the means to do then go for it

Kevbz 02-05-2012 11:42 AM

remember, the whole tub lifts off, fenders and hood and tub attached. so alot of the intricate stuff of small screws stay put in the tub. With that full body off you have plenty of room to get at it with impacts and breakers bars for the drivetrain and suspension. a lift or forklift to pick the whole shooting match would be nice, but alot of helping hands and ifs off and to the side.

just BE PREPARED TO SACRIFICE SOME BOLTS ALONG THE WAY...they will inevitably be frozen and get wasted coming out.

00silverTJ 02-05-2012 11:47 AM

Swap it. It is not difficult. I did it by myself. You can even do it without removing the engine.

Frame Swap with Engine/Trans in-situ - JeepForum.com

1jeeplvr 02-05-2012 12:28 PM

I think finding a frame is turning out to be harder than the work itself.

Kevbz 02-05-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 1997009)
I think finding a frame is turning out to be harder than the work itself.

lol, one will appear, suddenly and you'll be like me (with my rear axle)...explaining to the wife why the money is coming out of the account as you are telling the seller "i want it" sounds like the wife is on board though so half the battle is won.

have you tried SearchTempest - The EASY way to search Craigslist It lets you search craigslist based on key words and distance from your zip. beats clicking each craigslist city one by one

1jeeplvr 02-05-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevbz (Post 1997040)
lol, one will appear, suddenly and you'll be like me (with my rear axle)...explaining to the wife why the money is coming out of the account as you are telling the seller "i want it" sounds like the wife is on board though so half the battle is won.

have you tried SearchTempest - The EASY way to search Craigslist It lets you search craigslist based on key words and distance from your zip. beats clicking each craigslist city one by one

My wife is the one pushing me to get a frame lol. I have tried the Tempest search & just found a few frames.Im waiting to hear back which hasent been a positive experience but Ill wait and see what happens.

KidRock171 02-05-2012 12:50 PM

Def switch the frame. Have you looked on the junkyards? Should be hella cheap.

1jeeplvr 02-05-2012 01:04 PM

Its amazing she has a rotted frame.The body is pretty solid other than the spot of surface rust
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...205_140001.jpg

DaisyCutter 02-05-2012 01:17 PM

Were it me, I'd drive it to AZ and trade it in on a newer Wrangler. No dealership here ever checks for rusty frames.

You've got the ideal opportunity to hustle the hustlers.

Kevbz 02-05-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaisyCutter (Post 1997137)
Were it me, I'd drive it to AZ and trade it in on a newer Wrangler. No dealership here ever checks for rusty frames.

You've got the ideal opportunity to hustle the hustlers.

you hit the nail on the head...if/when i buy another TJ, I'm on a plane to AZ and driving it home to the land of salt, stopping to get rust proofed on the way before the Rockies!

hambubba 02-05-2012 01:49 PM

It's almost a frame-off restoration, you will find out what else needs to be replaced and get it all done at once. You'll have an extremely reliably built jeep when you're done.

somis 02-05-2012 02:28 PM

Patience my son. People destroy Jeeps every day in every day in every state. Stay on the internet a d you'll find some one parting out. Maybe even a dumby! Plus its all about the experience, I enjoy tearing down my Jeep and replacing the weak links, your gonna know its that much better once your done plus the vehicle value just shot up!

ahmincha 02-05-2012 07:12 PM

I'm in Cleveland Ohio i bought my frame in Georgia. My shipping was under 600.00 That was 1 year ago job was easy and alot of fun to do go for it

smccollamjr 02-05-2012 08:21 PM

Try here
D A V E Y S J E E P S . C O M - Specializing in Jeeps & Jeep Parts

1jeeplvr 02-05-2012 08:24 PM

The ONLY prob with doing it myself vs someone else is to work on it I will need to drive about 2.5 hrs to my friends house.If the guy doing it ends up doing it I can stop in every day if I want to & say replace tis part or that part.Although I hate someone else working on my vehicle I dont know if working my full time job & part time job a total of 60 hrs will allow much time.Although I could take a few vac days but that will take me away from my family.

Leeroy Jeepkins 02-05-2012 09:51 PM

Buy some 4x4's and some ratcheting straps,take your roof off,drive required distance for new frame,strap new frame to roof and go home,spend a bunch of time replacing frame and enjoying every minute of it and when all I said and done smile and wave to other Jeepers k owing full well that you are worthy. Even if you still have a stock setup.

KidRock171 02-05-2012 10:06 PM

^^^this. And every jeeper you see driving home will know what's up.

KrzyMoke 02-05-2012 10:23 PM

Hope this helps. Supposedly 250 shipping
https://www.partswebsite.com/jeepcar...i=6&type=parts