Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   any advice (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/any-advice-137235.html)

tacoma89 02-03-2012 02:35 AM

any advice

I gonna by my first jeep this summer im gonna buy it new i dont travel much other than to school with the exception on football season when i drive about 2 hours to oxford ms i was thinking about buying the sport modle since i like to customize and dont see why i schould pay extra for things im just gonna take off so being my first jeep any suggestions dos and donts? is it worth it to go up to the sport s modle or just order a hard top after the fact?

Celtic 02-03-2012 07:14 AM

I ordered mine new as a Sport S for exactly the same reasons you mentioned. I did order it with the dual top group because I thought it would be more cost effective, fit better than aftermarket, carry the factory warranty and be less of a hassle than trying to buy a hard top after the fact.

BTW, I love Mississippi. Sort of have a place on Bay St. Louis that Katrina put thirty-two feet of water on top of.

New2012JEEP 02-03-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacoma89
I gonna by my first jeep this summer im gonna buy it new i dont travel much other than to school with the exception on football season when i drive about 2 hours to oxford ms i was thinking about buying the sport modle since i like to customize and dont see why i schould pay extra for things im just gonna take off so being my first jeep any suggestions dos and donts? is it worth it to go up to the sport s modle or just order a hard top after the fact?

X2 I would make sure u get 3.71 gears though. And if you have the option, check out springs, and see if any of the last numbers are 19 or 60, or close as you can get. If lifting, that really won't matter, just buys you some time

Beastmaster 02-03-2012 07:29 AM

I'd say you're on the right track, tacoma89. I'm personally a rag top fan and wouldn't even bother with a hard top.

kbwwolf 02-03-2012 09:43 AM

3.73 gears are what you want. :thumb:

New2012JEEP 02-03-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf
3.73 gears are what you want. :thumb:

Or that, LOL

IowaRaider 02-03-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastmaster (Post 1989808)
I'd say you're on the right track, tacoma89. I'm personally a rag top fan and wouldn't even bother with a hard top.

In Mississippi, I would agree

rics1997 02-03-2012 10:48 PM

I got a Sport S with hardtop and bought a soft top (Trektop NX) after the fact. I haven't even thought about putting the hardtop back on since. It is sitting in storage covered by a tarp for 6 months now. Get the 3.73 gears and personally like the tow package. Also get the LSD anti-slip rear axle for sure.

tacoma89 02-04-2012 01:09 AM

yeah id really like to have a hard top for the winters an put on the soft top for the summer

kjeeper10 02-04-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacoma89
yeah id really like to have a hard top for the winters an put on the soft top for the summer

Always bought with hardtop and went aftermarket for soft. Bestop supply's the top to jeep, also cheaper and more likely to find on CL/eBay
I like to switch over to hardtop during winter.

Just remember, if you option the hardtop in- the soft top gets deleted. Must choose "dual top" and you will get both.

3.73's and LSD like Rics/others noted :thumb:

Sgt.slaughter 02-04-2012 05:10 AM

I bought a Sport S with a dual top and I love having the option and also one less thing to have to think about or buy afterward. Once you get your Jeep you are going to have alooooooong list of things you're going to want to buy and add.

But I am a huge fan of Bestop I worked for a company that made those Tops.

jp2611 02-04-2012 05:22 AM

My '94 YJ had a hard top--and here in Indiana I felt it was a waste of space.

My '04 TJ came with soft top only and last winter I went to a half top. In the summer I run Bikini, jammer and duster on it. I Usually see temps close to 10-15 degrees in the winter (this winter has been mild). I sold my soft top to another WF member.

My '12 JK has soft top only---since my Jeeps sleep in the garage I don't feel a need for a hard top---even in northern IN. That leaves more money for MODS.

Lastly--all my Jeeps were bought as sitting on the lot--pretty much stripped down. The '04 and '12 both Sports--'04 has 3.73s and the '12 3.21s. I have no complaints about any of them.

Good Luck!!