Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   AFE Cat Back Exhaust, CAI, Ypipe dyno 2012 rubicon (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/afe-cat-back-exhaust-cai-ypipe-dyno-2012-rubicon-137259.html)

PieFace 02-03-2012 10:15 AM

AFE Cat Back Exhaust, CAI, Ypipe dyno 2012 rubicon
 
4 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone,

Just received the AFE full system with the cat back exhaust that moves the muffler under the driver's door, and their Cold air intake and y pipe.

This post is a little pre mature because the exhaust is still in boxes, but I wanted to start the thread so you guys could subscribe as I go through the testing.

Here is the plan, and if anyone has a better one, let me know.

Im going to dyno stock, and then install the Cold air intake, and see what the change is before adding the exhaust. Many of you may do the intake without the exhaust and I figure thats the way to help the team with decisions in the future.

AFE shows a dyno on their site for their cold air intake but its on a truck that already has their exhaust on it. So getting answers with the factory exhaust makes a difference (i think).

JandS 02-03-2012 10:25 AM

Sounds good.

Do you best to replicate the ambient air conditions!

Dusthol 02-03-2012 10:26 AM

Subscribed

KarlG 02-03-2012 10:57 AM

Very much appreciated :thumb:

bo9roadking 02-03-2012 10:58 AM

I'm definitely interested in your dyno results.

I have the aFe hi-tuck cat-back and y-pipe, but I don't have a CAI. I added the y-pipe to get the crossover out of the way when I lifted my Jeep. I added the exhaust to remove the large stock muffler that was asking to be dented or torn off when offroading. The smaller aFe muffler also gave me more room to move my swaybar back an inch. My RK lift moved my rear axle back an inch and the swaybar had to move with it. The stock muffler was in the way.

I was curious if just the exhaust added any power, but at least your test will give us more information than what aFe has already provided. Thanks.

devicemanager 02-03-2012 11:06 AM

Any reason you chose the pre-oiled filter over the oil-free version?

PieFace 02-03-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devicemanager (Post 1990181)
Any reason you chose the pre-oiled filter over the oil-free version?


The guy at afe told me the oiled filter was his first choice for overall performance, and that the un-oiled version was kept on for people who were against the oiled filters.

I had asked for the unoiled version to start with but the guy I talked to seemed like he knew better and told me that he runs his jeep off road with the oiled filter and keeps a dry filter spare in case the oiled one gets gummed up.

I had reservations about the oiled filter as it will be fine at first, but when I have to clean and re-oil it, I think I may have problems. I liked the idea of the dry filter because who can screw that up?

Maybe I'll buy the unoiled filter and do a comparison as well.

PieFace 02-03-2012 11:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
here are some pics of the parts without the box wrapped around them.

bo9roadking 02-03-2012 01:14 PM

It looks like the y-pipe that you are using will eliminate the exhaust loop on the driver's side. I will be interesting to see how the dyno numbers compare.

008 02-03-2012 01:23 PM

Are you going to dyno the exhaust with the stock intake? The CAI should be an easier install. Have you considered an ecu tune to take full advantage of the better breathing? Either way I'm interested in the results, thanks for sharing.

PieFace 02-03-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bo9roadking (Post 1990552)
It looks like the y-pipe that you are using will eliminate the exhaust loop on the driver's side. I will be interesting to see how the dyno numbers compare.


I may have posted the wrong picture, the ehaust loop will stay intact. I didnt want to change it, I thought it was cool that chrysler went out of their way to make those tubes the same length.

PieFace 02-03-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 008 (Post 1990574)
Are you going to dyno the exhaust with the stock intake? The CAI should be an easier install. Have you considered an ecu tune to take full advantage of the better breathing? Either way I'm interested in the results, thanks for sharing.


I wasnt going to dyno the exhaust with the stock intake, as i was going to do the intake first.

Unless you guys insist on it, I think im paying 50 bucks per dyno run after the initial set up. ($175) so if you guys want to know how it runs post and ill do it if its not too much of a pain in the neck.

Mopar2Ya 02-03-2012 04:10 PM

Subscribed.
I have the Y & catback waiting on the jk. I too am keeping the oe loop. CAI, is up in the air now, I like the results RIPP got w/theirs. TIA for the dyno results.

AggieJeepHouston 02-03-2012 04:57 PM

Any numbers your shooting for? Intake and exhaust should get you in the 250whp range right?

TheDragon 02-03-2012 09:39 PM

Suscribed.:popcorn:

otnewt 02-04-2012 02:35 AM

wheres that popcorn guy....:popcorn: ...oh there he is!!!

1Topp 02-04-2012 04:43 AM

:thumb:

strider_mt2k 02-04-2012 07:26 AM

I would like to add my name to the growing list of thread subscribers at this time.

schnizdawg 02-04-2012 10:03 AM

Sweet! Just subscribing because that tax return could be buying the same setup if results are good.

PieFace 02-04-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AggieJeepHouston (Post 1991124)
Any numbers your shooting for? Intake and exhaust should get you in the 250whp range right?


I have no idea what the baseline is, but we are going to find out.

PieFace 02-04-2012 10:43 AM

Does anyone know a good dyno place in NJ? or close by?

The place I planned to use is out of business. Im currently looking for a new dyno.

silvrevo 02-05-2012 12:02 AM

AFE have their drop in yet for the pentastar?

I didnt care for my last open air element,, sounded like i had a wheel bearing on the bad,,,,terrible whistle.

Loved my afe drop in thou!!

KarlG 02-05-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PieFace (Post 1993388)
Does anyone know a good dyno place in NJ? or close by?

The place I planned to use is out of business. Im currently looking for a new dyno.


:eek:

Someone find this nice gentleman a dyno quick!

Here's a list of Dynojet Automotive locations for NJ to start:

http://www.dynojet.com/dyno_centers/....aspx?state=NJ

PieFace 02-05-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlG (Post 1997461)
:eek:

Someone find this nice gentleman a dyno quick!

Here's a list of Dynojet Automotive locations for NJ to start:

Dynojet Automotive Dyno Centers

KarlG, you just did me a huge favor. You're getting the assist on this project. Way to get the wrangler forum wagons in a circle!

dustyc 02-05-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvrevo
AFE have their drop in yet for the pentastar?

I didnt care for my last open air element,, sounded like i had a wheel bearing on the bad,,,,terrible whistle.

Loved my afe drop in thou!!

Loved my afe too. Funny thing. When I traded my 2010 in they took my sound system out. I picked up the box at the dealership with amp and stuff. In the box was the afe filter. Guess they didn't like it.

PieFace 02-07-2012 04:48 PM

Dyno Scheduled
 
Hey Everyone, I was expecting to get you the baseline dyno results this weekend, but it looks like I will have to wait one more week.

My day at the dyno is scheduled for feb 18.

The good news is, that all the parts will be installed the same day, so I should have all the information at once rather than in pieces as was my original plan.

So stay tuned, and when you dont hear from me till the 18th, I didnt disappear, I just needed a shop that was open on a saturday.

KarlG 02-07-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PieFace (Post 2004155)
Hey Everyone, I was expecting to get you the baseline dyno results this weekend, but it looks like I will have to wait one more week.

My day at the dyno is scheduled for feb 18.

The good news is, that all the parts will be installed the same day, so I should have all the information at once rather than in pieces as was my original plan.

So stay tuned, and when you dont hear from me till the 18th, I didnt disappear, I just needed a shop that was open on a saturday.


:thumb:

kukini5637 02-07-2012 08:32 PM

Subscribed, excited to see the results!!!!

silvrevo 02-07-2012 09:59 PM

Well????

Lets see the goods!!

Hope you run it on a dynojet. Hehehe. I like to see high #'s

: )

AZduck 02-08-2012 05:01 AM

I thought the Y-pipe replaced the stock exhaust loop.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.