Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Rear driver fender flare (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/rear-driver-fender-flare-137696.html)

tony81 02-05-2012 01:40 PM

Rear driver fender flare

So I went snow bashing yesterday and long story short put a big dent on my rear driver fender flare.:facepalm: I have a 2012 JKUR. how do I pop out the little plastic screws on the flare to take it off? Also, should I try and pop the dent back out or get an all new fender?

once the under cover is off is it just some bolts to undo the fender or are there some more surprises to deal with?

kjeeper10 02-05-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony81
So I went snow bashing yesterday and long story short put a big dent on my rear driver fender flare.:facepalm: I have a 2012 JKUR. how do I pop out the little plastic screws on the flare to take it off? Also, should I try and pop the dent back out or get an all new fender?

once the under cover is off is it just some bolts to undo the fender or are there some more surprises to deal with?

Just the plastic?

SilverSport 02-05-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony81 (Post 1997212)

What I believe you are referring to as screws are actually plastic rivets. I use a pair of diagonal pliers to cut the heads off. Where the flare sets against the body, it is held on with plastic clips. They usually break off so you will need new ones. Replacement OEM flares are less than $100 from online retailers.

kbwwolf 02-05-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony81 (Post 1997212)

SilverRubi's right. You'll have to remove several bolts, then pop out the plastic screws, then – basically – rip the fender free of the plastic clips that hold it against the Jeep body. It'll come off with the entire splash guard still attached.

To reinstall you'll have to have all new plastic screws and clips.

Click on the thread below, scroll down to "Rear Fender Installation Instructions" and read steps 1-4. That tells you how to do it, and also shows pictures. This is what I did when I was installing my Bushwacker flatties.

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource Bushwacker JK Flat Fender Installation Write-Up

Good luck. :thumb:

tony81 02-05-2012 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 95249

Thank you! I got the flare off and going to just by a new flare. I'm thinking the install will be harder than ripping the thing off. Thanks for the link. Very helpful!

tony81 02-05-2012 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry! This pic should work

kbwwolf 02-05-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony81 (Post 1997617)
Attachment 95249

Thank you! I got the flare off and going to just by a new flare. I'm thinking the install will be harder than ripping the thing off. Thanks for the link. Very helpful!

I think you're right about the install. I was putting on flat fender flares, so I didn't have to mess with all the little plastic clips. Could be a nightmare, but better than paying someone to do it. :thumb: