Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Tranny is ticking/clicking UGH!!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/tranny-is-ticking-clicking-ugh-138016.html)

SolarStar 02-06-2012 07:22 PM

Tranny is ticking/clicking UGH!!!
 
A few weeks ago a my 08 jKU w 25,000 miles on it developed a clicking/ticking sound. Ive barely driven it since.

It's definately coming from the tranny area. It almost sounds like metal cards in bicycle spoke.

It occurs in Park and 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear, not OD and not in reverse. Does it at idle and while driving. The clicking sound follows the RPMs. While driving it occurs cold or hot, at start up it happens without touching gas only when cold. A warm start sound won't occur until you rev the engine.

Its sounds similar to a bad lifter but it's not a lifter. THere are not metal flakes in the tranny fuid which is nice clear and pink.

Jeep drives totally normal. It's not slipping, clunking, shuddering, nothing but the tick.

My best guess would be cracked flex plate or cracked planetary gears maybe???


Any insight or experience with something like this....

bengen1 02-06-2012 07:31 PM

loose heat shield???

SolarStar 02-06-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bengen1 (Post 2001571)
loose heat shield???

I don't think so, it's coming from inside the bell housing. Seems to be in middle tranny but it seems to travel forward towards the TC/FlexPlate area at higher rpms from the best I can tell from using the screwdriver to pinpoint.

MickeYJ 02-06-2012 07:46 PM

Tranny.... Lol I thought u were talking about me... Forgot this a common term here whoops lol

SolarStar 02-06-2012 08:20 PM

Are there any transmission experts on the site?

SolarStar 02-07-2012 09:30 AM

No transmission guys on the forum?

daggo66 02-07-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickeYJ (Post 2001641)
Tranny.... Lol I thought u were talking about me... Forgot this a common term here whoops lol

:eek:

pkmcd99 02-07-2012 11:04 AM

Auto or manual?

pkmcd99 02-07-2012 11:06 AM

What mods on drivetrain do you have?

SolarStar 02-07-2012 12:06 PM

Auto

Drivetrain. 5:13 gears Yuks. Running 35s and I have a B&M tranny cooler

SolarStar 02-07-2012 12:08 PM

Sound occurs in both 2 and 4wd

pkmcd99 02-07-2012 02:04 PM

Have you inspected the transfercase? Sounds like possibly a tcase chain to me.

pkmcd99 02-07-2012 02:06 PM

Or bearings on the output or input shafts...hard to say without actually looking at it.

SolarStar 02-07-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkmcd99 (Post 2003802)
Have you inspected the transfercase? Sounds like possibly a tcase chain to me.

I looked at transfer case for any sign of abnormalities, but I didn't pull out the DS

Would I have to pull transfer case to inspect it further?

SolarStar 02-07-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkmcd99 (Post 2003806)
Or bearings on the output or input shafts...hard to say without actually looking at it.

My knowledge of drivetrain stufff is very limited. I assumed since it did this at idle it most likely wouldn't be a TC issue. So the transfer case has moving parts even at idle just revving the engine?

TexasChalk 02-07-2012 02:43 PM

Roughly Same thing is happening to my 03 wrangler x...I'm trying to find out to and will let you know if I can fin anything out even if we don't have the same jeep and stuff it should be pretty similar?

SolarStar 02-07-2012 03:07 PM

Upon second inspection I noticed the rubber seal that is where the FDS mets the transfer case has been torn apart.

Still since this clicking/ticking happens in park while revivng wouldn't be TC issue, but thatnis just my very amateur deduction.

SolarStar 02-07-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasChalk (Post 2003935)
Roughly Same thing is happening to my 03 wrangler x...I'm trying to find out to and will let you know if I can fin anything out even if we don't have the same jeep and stuff it should be pretty similar?

Sounds good to me!

pkmcd99 02-07-2012 03:10 PM

I must have not read your post clearly. If your having the same noise at idle its in your tranny. Sounds like a pilot bearing on the input shaft, as that is always rotating. How are your mounts? If the bushings are gone you may be getting vibration noises, metal on metal sounds. Check em out, have you put any skid plates on aftermarket? Any cv driveshafts? Are all your effected nuts bolts tight on the lift? Jeep auto trannys are quite durable and can even handle torque from v-8 conversions. Pilot bearings are noisy little 5$ bearings. They fail more frequently in manuals, but have neen known to go in autos.

SolarStar 02-07-2012 03:15 PM

Is there anyway to post a video....I just made a clip of the sound.

SolarStar 02-07-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkmcd99 (Post 2004009)
I must have not read your post clearly. If your having the same noise at idle its in your tranny. Sounds like a pilot bearing on the input shaft, as that is always rotating. How are your mounts? If the bushings are gone you may be getting vibration noises, metal on metal sounds. Check em out, have you put any skid plates on aftermarket? Any cv driveshafts? Are all your effected nuts bolts tight on the lift? Jeep auto trannys are quite durable and can even handle torque from v-8 conversions. Pilot bearings are noisy little 5$ bearings. They fail more frequently in manuals, but have neen known to go in autos.

Would pilot bearings follow the rpms? This noise raises and falls with the RPMs

Thanks for helping me out I reallynappreciate it. This is driving me crazy....

No after market skids, mounts look good. Stock DS. All nuts and bolts from lift are tight. This noise is definitely in the tranny.

pkmcd99 02-07-2012 05:10 PM

A damaged pilot bearing will follow rpm. A seriously damaged bearing will off center the input shaft and can cause expensive wear if not fixed. Most trans shops will give free diagnos and estimate. Highly recommend doing this. The only big cost is trans remival, parts are fairly reasonable.

CobraSVT39 05-14-2012 12:39 PM

After months of searching the net I finally came across this! I have a 03 Liberty Sport (ya ya i know not a wrangler). 3.7L V6 42RLE with 90000 KM's (56 000 miles).

For 2-3 years now, I keep hearing a "dziga-dziga-dziga" sound coming from the transmission. It happens at all times, idle, etc (so it MUST be from the transmission as someone said earlier). It's very hard to describe this annoying sound. But SolarStar's analogy makes sense, like cards in a bicycle's spokes.

It follows RPM. I just started it before, and the sound was quieter than usual in parked. (its our first relatively warm day up here in canada since last summer). After a quick 2 minute drive, the sound is louder, again in park.
It's not something that is VERY loud, if you have a bit of music playing while driving you can't hear it. But if you're next to a wall or another car, its quite apparent and very irritating.

SolarStar if you could find a way to post that video somewhere just so I can know I'm not the only one on the planet with this issue..
or maybe you've resolved the issue?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.