Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Squeak in rear seat (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/squeak-in-rear-seat-138229.html)

Monte Hill 02-07-2012 07:22 PM

Squeak in rear seat

Hey guys I have a 2012 Rubicon I recently purchased and I am chasing a squeak that seems to becoming from the rear seat...a high pitched metal-to-metal sound that occurs when traveling at a steady speed and small bumps in the road are present. I searched and searched and felt convinced it was coming from the passenger side underneath where the striker assembly is...dealership replaced assembly and I thought it was fixed but one day later and it's back (although more faint)...I read some threads that talked about a squeak in the headrest and also the shocks on the rear window...I feel certain the sound is coming from under the seat but know how weird sound can be to trace down...any one fixed this particular problem?

Thanks.

golfrek4 02-09-2012 04:03 PM

The same thing is going on with my 2008 Sahara. I think that it is from the top not being bolted down tight enough, but after looking harder, I think it is from the window shocks. Any idea how to fix this?

mjf232 02-09-2012 07:40 PM

Funny u posted this, my '12 that's a month old has this and has been driving me a little nuts. I thought it was the rear seat too and checked around but couldnt find anything. I also thought it was the hard top but not sure. For now I just turn up the radio and its gone :D

I'll see if its still there in the summer when the tops off.

Also, I dont notice it as much when my kids are back there, only when the back seat is empty. So im subscribing to this thread, waiting for an answer we're most likely not gonna get.

schnizdawg 02-09-2012 07:48 PM

Mine had this squeak too when I bought it, 2012. Every bump... A small metal on metal squeak. Turns out the back seat wasn't latched fully in the down lock position on the driver side. I just made sure to push the seat hard down before locking in the upright position. Squeak never came back, it's been a month. Check that. Worked for me.

kjeeper10 02-09-2012 07:59 PM

Sure it's not the jack in the back ?

jkjeeper06 02-09-2012 08:24 PM

Is the seat folded and tumbled? Mine squeaks in that scenario. I bet wd40 would fix it but I just latch down the seat instead

Monte Hill 02-10-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjf232
Funny u posted this, my '12 that's a month old has this and has been driving me a little nuts. I thought it was the rear seat too and checked around but couldnt find anything. I also thought it was the hard top but not sure. For now I just turn up the radio and its gone :D

I'll see if its still there in the summer when the tops off.

Also, I dont notice it as much when my kids are back there, only when the back seat is empty. So im subscribing to this thread, waiting for an answer we're most likely not gonna get.

That is hilarious (the turn up the radio thing) it is the same thing my wife told me! I don't notice it w my boys in the back either...I am one of those weird people that won't rest until I find it...I'll let you know what I come up with! Have a great day,

Monte

Never done a forum before so bear w my lack of knowledge on posts, etiquette etc!

Monte Hill 02-10-2012 08:05 AM

Thanks guys I'll stay after it! It does it in the upright or folded down position (rubicon unlimited)...it does seem to stop w my boys in the back but then again my wild crew might just be drowning it out!

I'll let y'all know when I find it!

Monte

golfrek4 02-11-2012 11:03 PM

Wf squeak - YouTube
Here is a video of where the squeak in mine is coming from. If anyone out there has any idea how to fix this, i would be forever grateful. I love everything about my wrangler except this squeak is driving me crazy. I know that it's a jeep and that it's going to squeak a little, but his is literally a high pitch whine over every bump from my window.

Rich331MX 02-12-2012 12:25 AM

Monte, I think I can help you out. My 12 had the same mind numbing, Natl. Lampoon-esque station wagon squeak. I traced it to the passenger rear headrest. I lubed the two rails with biodegradable lube and have never looked back. Also, Chrysler decided to throw in a non-functioning folding mechanism in the same seat; thanks Chrysler!

Texasflusher 02-12-2012 07:21 PM

Our rear seat has the same annoying loud squeek. It is so loud we have to drive with the seat down. First trip to dealer they lubricated head rest bars. As soon as we picked it up same loud squeek as if the shop guys never heard it. They gave us some BS that the grease they added a couple hours earlier must have dried up. On second trip to dealer they replaced head rest frame. Picked up Jeep and it still squeeks as loud as ever. I am going back to dealer tomorrow and I am will have service guy ride in jeep with me until I get an admission out of him that it still squeeks.
I will report back with the next plan of action. I am to the point they need to replace seat. There's got to be many more JK owners with this same problem other than us few on this thread.

Monte Hill 02-13-2012 05:18 PM

Thanks to all on the feedback...how did you trace it down to the rear passenger headrest? I have messed with the headrest manually and can't get a noise out of it...I went for my first trip of any distance yesterday 100 miles to Asheville, NC (I-40 from Knoxville) with rear passengers and no squeak...this makes me tend to believe it is something in the seat itself (metal supports) or in the mechanism but I am still stumped...absolutely love my JK Unlimited Rubicon but that high pitched metal on metal squeak is robbing my joy! By the way it is a brand new 2012 I have had about a month.

Again thanks for the posts maybe collectively well fix this.

Monte

Texasflusher 02-14-2012 04:35 PM

Yesterday I went back to dealer to go over squeek problem. The Service Manager told he would call me back today once he talked to shop about ongoing squeek. He surprisingly called me today to say they submitted a claim to Chrysler and hope to hear from them by tomorrow on what can be done. I will keep you guys posted. They just got to get me a new seat.

nwbronco 02-14-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfrek4 (Post 2019967)
Wf squeak - YouTube
Here is a video of where the squeak in mine is coming from. If anyone out there has any idea how to fix this, i would be forever grateful. I love everything about my wrangler except this squeak is driving me crazy. I know that it's a jeep and that it's going to squeak a little, but his is literally a high pitch whine over every bump from my window.

Close up the back, go through the doors to get in the back. Push slightly on each corner of the window, then on each corner of the top, including where the top meets the tub. Could be anything. I am betting the rubber seals in the tailgate bar are a bit worn.

Good luck,

Bob K.

golferguy111 02-14-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwbronco (Post 2030705)
Close up the back, go through the doors to get in the back. Push slightly on each corner of the window, then on each corner of the top, including where the top meets the tub. Could be anything. I am betting the rubber seals in the tailgate bar are a bit worn.

Good luck,

Bob K.

I think I figured it out! It was actually something going on with the back washer fluid hose. I am not sure why, but when I adjusted the hose by pushing it farther into the roof, the squeaking stopped. I then secured it loosely with some tape and tested the fluid, and it worked fine, and I no longer hear a squeak in the back when closing the window! I will drive it tomorrow and see if I hear anything!

sdavid 02-14-2012 08:44 PM

I dont know if my rear seat squeaks since I started using it as my living room couch. :)

JEEPDON 02-14-2012 08:54 PM

I had a squeak in the rear seat once; but I threw her out in the bottom of some canyon!!:D:D

Monte Hill 02-15-2012 08:26 PM

Oh I remember the days the rear seat was just getting dusty in the shed...but that was three boys ago...1st, 3rd and 5th grade respectively!! I'll keep them though!

On the other hand when they are in the seat it doesn't squeak...guess I'll just strap them there...calm down not really!

Monte

mjf232 02-15-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monte Hill (Post 2036089)
Oh I remember the days the rear seat was just getting dusty in the shed...but that was three boys ago...1st, 3rd and 5th grade respectively!! I'll keep them though!

On the other hand when they are in the seat it doesn't squeak...guess I'll just strap them there...calm down not really!

Monte

I remember those days too. Mine are 1st grade and Pre-K. The squeeking doesnt bother me as much as my 3 yr old kicking the back of my seat. Now I know why my dad screamed at me to knock it off or he'd pull the car over. Funny how things go around and now im my dad :eek:

Monte Hill 02-16-2012 07:43 PM

It's crazy the things you never dreamed you would hear come from your mouth as a parent...one of the things I remember saying to my middle boy that I will never forget hearing myself say was, "Tucker, would you please quit LICKING the floor?!?"

Monte Hill 02-17-2012 03:32 PM

Finally eliminated the metal on metal chirping squeak sounds from my 2012 rubicon! They were coming from two places...the dealer had to be involved in the first one, they actually replaced the striker assembly on the passenger side underneath the seat...the primary squeak was gone but a faint secondary "chirping" was still coming from the back. After offering a five dollar reward to my third grader to find it by having him sit Indian style behind the second row seat I found it! It stopped "chirping" with him sitting back there!!! I took him out and it started again. I pressed the palms of my hands on floor and bounced up and down which produced the "chirp"... I opened the floor compartment where you would stow the bolts from the hardtop, store jumper cables etc and checked hinges to see if they were free and clear of any obstacles, took out the plastic tray and repositioned it to ensure a correct and level fit, closed the floor and bang...no more squeaks! Thank goodness it was driving me nuts! Hopefully if any of you are dealing with this, one or both of these locations can be checked and you can restore silence to the back of your 2012 JK unlimited!

Monte

Monte Hill 02-20-2012 05:01 PM

What? No response to my discovery? Must have been bothering me worse than most...or everyone has gotten used to driving around with the radio up!

Monte

mjf232 02-21-2012 06:31 PM

I was away for the weekend and havent been on the computer but funny you posted this fix. I havent heard the squeek for a while now, as mine comes and goes. But I heard it yesterday, with the kids in the back, and immediately thought of this thread. As far as the fix, the next time i'm at the dealer i'll pass this info along and see if they can fix it.

Thanks for the post on showing how to fix it.

Monte Hill 02-22-2012 05:08 PM

Good luck and don't forget to see if it is simply the lift open floor hinge or plastic tray inside (floor behind back seat)...now if only the rear seat would recline!!!

Happy trails!

kevprit 03-06-2012 09:49 PM

I have the same exact problem in my 2012 sahara and it has been driving me crazy. I sprayed wd40 on all the bolts and hinges and did not fix the problem. I will try looking in the rear tray tomorrow. But I did notice when someone sits in the rear seat passenger side I dont hear the squeak anymore. This has to be some defect that is effecting many people.

Tasdevil 03-07-2012 01:17 PM

I have a 2011 Sahara and I have determined that the problem is with the head rest on the rear drivers side seat. I have removed the head rest and the squeek goes away. There are two spring loaded METAL clamps that hold the head rest onto two METAL posts that come out of the seat. As soon as I put the head rest back on.....the unbearable squeeking reappears! ;) Off to the dealer.

Jeepenvy 03-14-2012 08:48 AM

I think mine is in headrest too. If I put two lbs of pressure on upper seat it stops. Mine started after I folded seat up for first time.

Jeepenvy 03-14-2012 09:31 AM

Am at dealer. When you tilt rear seat fwd slightly so you can touch the back, you can feel the loose metal when you tap it. Service advisor was going to pull the seat cover off and examine. Should be easy fix.