Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Distraught new jeeper..Help?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/distraught-new-jeeper-help-138610.html)

DCSniksder 02-09-2012 05:20 PM

Distraught new jeeper..Help??
 
Hi all. I bought my 2012 sport about 4 months ago. I have about 4 thousand road miles and about 100 trail miles on it. I took my jeep to Trick Trucks in Chantilly VA to get an estimate on the work I wanted done to it. $4500 estimate and a "ARE YOU FREAKING CRAZY!!":banghead:(from my wife), I have come to the realization that I need to come up with some less expensive alternatives.

Thanks to this site I have learned A TON! soooo here's my question

Does anyone have any pros and or cons if I get a 2" AEV spacer suspension system ($259) and 5 Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/70r17 ($269 each) to put on my stock rims.

My goal is to add a little more flex and clearance while maintaining its daily driver functionality.

kbwwolf 02-09-2012 05:26 PM

If your trail-to-road ratio is 1-40, as you say, you can get better road tires than the Nittos (cheaper, too) that'll perform as well or better.

Look at Cooper, GY DuraTracs, BFG's, etc.

jay-1 02-09-2012 05:40 PM

I have heard and read nothing but good things about the trail grapplers. why do you say not good, just curious becuase i was thinking of getting some 37's

kbwwolf 02-09-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay-1 (Post 2011532)
I have heard and read nothing but good things about the trail grapplers. why do you say not good, just curious becuase i was thinking of getting some 37's

I didn't say not good. I said if the OP spends that much time on-road, and so little time off, there are better tires out there.

Doesn't mean anybody has to do anything they don't wanna do. You want Nittos, have at it. :thumb:

DCSniksder 02-09-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2011543)
I didn't say not good. I said if the OP spends that much time on-road, and so little time off, there are better tires out there.

Doesn't mean anybody has to do anything they don't wanna do. You want Nittos, have at it. :thumb:

I've thought about the Duratracs and thats actually my 2nd choice... I am just a huge fan of the aggressive tread that the trail grapplers posses... plus the price seems to be more than fair.

DCSniksder 02-09-2012 06:30 PM

Thanks I will definately look more into the others.

daggo66 02-09-2012 11:31 PM

Do the work yourself and save a ton of money.

InvertChaos 02-09-2012 11:33 PM

Being in Chantilly, I am sure there are other jeepers that would help you for the cost of some adult beverages and pizza. Check out novajeepers.net

Overtrained 02-09-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2012831)
Do the work yourself and save a ton of money.

This^^^......... Thats how I role, only prob is everyone then wants you to work on their crap:facepalm:

MarineHawk 02-09-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCSniksder (Post 2011471)
Hi all. I bought my 2012 sport about 4 months ago. I have about 4 thousand road miles and about 100 trail miles on it. I took my jeep to Trick Trucks in Chantilly VA to get an estimate on the work I wanted done to it. $4500 estimate and a "ARE YOU FREAKING CRAZY!!":banghead:(from my wife), I have come to the realization that I need to come up with some less expensive alternatives. ...

Take this with a grain of salt, but:

Over the years, I have have plenty of work done at Trick Trucks and more-recently, High Tech in Chantilly. There's just no comparison whatsoever. Go see Bobby at High Tech.

i82much 02-10-2012 12:18 AM

Check out the Cooper STT before you buy.

suicideking 02-10-2012 12:37 AM

What were you planning to get for $4500?

Sounds about right for lift, shocks, rims, tires, and maybe a drive shaft?

Vin 02-10-2012 12:38 AM

If you want more flex, go with coils. Bugdet boost will give you tire clearance, but you don't gain articulation.

rics1997 02-10-2012 02:58 AM

It's not that the Nittro trail's are not good tires because they are BUT......They are noisy on the road and one of the heavier tires you can buy putting strain on your drive train and excess weight that isn't needed for a build. Just not a great Jeep choice if you plan to drive it on the pavement. Great trail tire though.

DCSniksder 02-11-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicideking (Post 2012982)
What were you planning to get for $4500?

Sounds about right for lift, shocks, rims, tires, and maybe a drive shaft?

Yeah your right.
3" BDS lift 17"xds and 35" trail grapplers

DCSniksder 02-11-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rics1997 (Post 2013164)
It's not that the Nittro trail's are not good tires because they are BUT......They are noisy on the road and one of the heavier tires you can buy putting strain on your drive train and excess weight that isn't needed for a build. Just not a great Jeep choice if you plan to drive it on the pavement. Great trail tire though.

Thanks for the input... I was definately concerned with the weight because of my gears..when I am on these tire sites looking at all thee specs I never see the weight.

DCSniksder 02-11-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vin (Post 2012985)
If you want more flex, go with coils. Bugdet boost will give you tire clearance, but you don't gain articulation.

Hmm good to know

DCSniksder 02-11-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarineHawk (Post 2012914)
Take this with a grain of salt, but:

Over the years, I have have plenty of work done at Trick Trucks and more-recently, High Tech in Chantilly. There's just no comparison whatsoever. Go see Bobby at High Tech.

Where is hi tech?

DCSniksder 02-11-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2012831)
Do the work yourself and save a ton of money.

I am strongly considering it. It would be my first time but I think I can do it.

daggo66 02-11-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCSniksder (Post 2017282)
I am strongly considering it. It would be my first time but I think I can do it.

It's a lot easier than you might think. Other than normal tools, you;ll need a good floor jack and jack stands for safety. Harbor Freight can save you money there and they will prove useful later as well.

Check out google "project JK" and you can find complete write ups for doing most things for your Wrangler and you tube has tons of videos.

Gate53 02-11-2012 09:47 AM

You might want to look at the BFG km2's also. And don't get the cheapest you'll need at least the 3 ton to extend up far enough to do some of the things you'll want to do. Good luck. Another thing is that Jeep as is probably has more offroad skills than you do right now, so give it a try stock.

Akinvegas 02-11-2012 10:09 AM

I bought wrangler AT-Extreme tires and i love them
they were about 30% less than the Nitto terra grappler.

DCSniksder 02-11-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate53 (Post 2017425)
You might want to look at the BFG km2's also. And don't get the cheapest you'll need at least the 3 ton to extend up far enough to do some of the things you'll want to do. Good luck. Another thing is that Jeep as is probably has more offroad skills than you do right now, so give it a try stock.

I was shocked by the things I could do with a stock sport... I love this ride!

Gate53 02-11-2012 10:41 AM

Some tires and skid plates should get you by for awhile. The skid plates are important. The things Chrysler call skid plates are made out of Budweiser cans. Good Luck!

kbwwolf 02-11-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overtrained (Post 2012844)
This^^^......... Thats how I role, only prob is everyone then wants you to work on their crap:facepalm:

That's called quid pro quo. Without it, nobody would help you with your Jeep, and then you wouldn't have to work on their...crap. :D

chris.george 02-11-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overtrained (Post 2012844)
This^^^......... Thats how I role, only prob is everyone then wants you to work on their crap:facepalm:

I thought that was half the point of a community? Help each other, make friends, learn some cool stuff?

MarineHawk 02-11-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCSniksder (Post 2017278)
Where is hi tech?

4007 Westfax--about a helf mile from that other place. They know what they're doing at HT; Bobby will try to talk you out of anything you really don't need; will recommend what you do need; and he won't say "Hmm, I just don't know why that's happening. ... Ma'am (turngin to another customer) can I help you?" and not look at you again if you have major questions/concerns about something they did or installed. That's the last time I went into the other place. Bobby get's to the bottom of any issue I have, no matter how small. And, while he doesn't know everything, he can accurately answer most of your questions on the spot without saying "I will find out and get back to you by tomorrow." When that happens, it takes days to have a conversation that could last 5 minutes at High Tech.

Just my $0.02.

jay-1 02-11-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rics1997 (Post 2013164)
It's not that the Nittro trail's are not good tires because they are BUT......They are noisy on the road and one of the heavier tires you can buy putting strain on your drive train and excess weight that isn't needed for a build. Just not a great Jeep choice if you plan to drive it on the pavement. Great trail tire though.

acording to this tire test the trail grappler is one of the most quit MT tire not sure about tire wieght they say there around 80 lbs

Nitto Trail Grappler MT Tire Test - Four Wheeler Magazine

TrueNorth 02-13-2012 12:42 PM

We just did our 10th lift install in my small 2 car garage at home with simple hand tools.

A 2012 Wranlger X.
Installed old Man Emu 2" medium rate springs and OME Nitro shock absorbers.
It took 2 hours start to finish. Not as bad as you might think.

Takes longer to disconnect the sway bar links, unbolt brake line brackets, ABS tabs and ebrake line hangers than it does to install the springs and shocks.

Next step for Dirty's X is extended brake lines, bump stops and sway bars disconnects. He's already got 33" BFG KM2's and wheel spacers installed.

Yes, people will want you to help them with their Jeep lift kit. Thats parts of the fun in being a Jeep owner! You KNOW how to work on Jeeps.

Hand them a wrench and tell them what to bolts take off while you "supervise" with a cold beverage.

Tips.
You'll need several 18mm wrenches (I bought racheting wrenches, love them!)and sockets, jack stands and 2 jacks.
Front pumpkin is off center you'll need two jacks to lift it high enough for jack stands to droop the axle all the way. Harbor freightt spring comprsessors are a big help too.
Oh, and for the 2012 take the brake line bracket off the spring perch too, you'll need the extra length to get the spring in. grab the top nut on the passenger side shcok with a vice grip and spin the shock body to get it off. Tight spot on the 11-12's.

LBrito 02-13-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay-1 (Post 2019056)
acording to this tire test the trail grappler is one of the most quit MT tire not sure about tire wieght they say there around 80 lbs

Nitto Trail Grappler MT Tire Test - Four Wheeler Magazine

I have the Trail Grappler tires on my Tundra, and they have on okay hum at speed. They are about the same sound level as the BFG KM2's on my JK. They're both 35" tires.

On the trail, the only difference I found is that the Trail Grapplers are marginally better in snow than the KM2's. Otherwise, they both do well in mud, sand, and rocks.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 PM.